Fenix NEW diffuser tip--AOD-M &AOD-S

markr6

Flashaholic
Title from their Facebook post.

They took away the tail standing and make a diffuser that throws a good bit of light directly into a table. Really?

This is just a slap in the face to me. My old LD10 and diffuser spread the light out evenly and even threw some to the ceiling.

I'm a huge Fenix fan, but they keep pushing me further and further away by taking steps backwards in my opinion.

Anyone else agree?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
from what I know, fenix is pretty slow compared to others. shame on the tailstand issue. hope the next PD has one.
the diffuser is good enough for me, so far.
thanks.

CyberCT

Enlightened
When they release one for the TK75 that's more like Olight's, they've got my attention.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ Wait what? Are you guys criticizing these new diffusers or Fenix's newer lights like the PD32 UE? Yeah, these newer lights/versions don't tailstand but does it really matter? Tons of other high end brands make lights that don't. I'm sure they will make more in the future that do. A lot of these lights have cycles in the underlying basic design principles. I'm going to get 2 of the larger AOD diffusers for my E40 and E50 respectively. Good to see the smaller one can fit lights like my older LD20 q5 also.

Also I haven't actually seen inside shots of these diffusers... are they purely one piece plastic or do they have a reflector insert pushing the light out to the side. If they do that then a lot of their lights can instantly become table lanterns (You could already do this... I just mean that even more light would be pushed out at a right angle). That would be pretty cool too. Either way I'm really glad they made ~40mm diffusers that can fit lights like the E50.

markr6

Flashaholic
DO you guys think it is easy to keep both momentary-on and tailstand?

Definitely. I don't see the issue at all. It's such a small amount even 1mm or so would allow many lights to stand. My old LD10 was easy to turn on and off, so it wouldn't have been a problem to use that if it were a forward clicky. Plus the cutouts in the tailcap make my argument even stronger. I'll bet anything Fenix brings this back in future models.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1! The Nitecore MultiTask series proves it. Also, a forward clicky that can tailstand it's harder to activate accidentally then one that doesn't.