ThruNite updates TN30 and TN31 with XM-L2

moozooh

Enlightened
This just dropped into my mailbox. The new lights are available at ThruNite Store.

TN30 is now 3600 lm (was 3000) and is on sale for 179$ (was 269$).

TN31 is now 1376 lm (was 1147) and is on sale for 165$ (was 239$). Throw is measured at 90000 cd/840 m.

As you can see, they didn't bother changing anything else, so it's 20% increase over the respective XM-L U2 versions across the board. Even moonlight modes are 20% brighter... :crackup:

Grab 'em while they're hot, though, as these sale prices are still quite decent to say the least.

Last edited:

Globi23

Newly Enlightened
Like the upgrade, but I wish they would change the batterie carrier... I have problems with my TN31, sometimes I need to hit the torch to turn the light back on :( and I use protected 18650, so they shouldn't be to small...
A system like in the Skyray King would have been nice...

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
And I just ordered one of the old ones. Man, I wish mfgs would make their lights easily upgradable. Oh well still excited about this light.

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I just ordered one of the old ones. Man, I wish mfgs would make their lights easily upgradable. Oh well still excited about this light.

They do.
At least,many US manufacturers do. Malkoff, Elzetta, SureFire, Peak, and even some MagLites all made/make upgradable lights.
I don't know about the Chinese manufacturers.

moozooh

Enlightened
I'm afraid easy emitter swapping directly conflicts with heat dissipation on lights this powerful: threading and lube are awful heat transmitters, so most of the heat is trapped on the small area with the LED where it either accumulates and decreases the LED's output, or plain damages it. Both TN30 and TN31 overdrive the LEDs, which means they run extra hot and have extra requirements for heat dissipation to avoid permanent damage.

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid easy emitter swapping directly conflicts with heat dissipation on lights this powerful: threading and lube are awful heat transmitters, so most of the heat is trapped on the small area with the LED where it either accumulates and decreases the LED's output, or plain damages it. Both TN30 and TN31 overdrive the LEDs, which means they run extra hot and have extra requirements for heat dissipation to avoid permanent damage.

Thanks, that simple explanation makes total sense. The "want" factor always brings out those uneducated desires.

85coke

Newly Enlightened
Ordered a NW TN30 earlier this week. Since it looks like a new NW hasn't been released yet, I'm still happy with my choice :)

eusty

Newly Enlightened
Ditto ordered mine yesterday :(

My guess is that is why they are selling off stock at reduced prices? They are the old versions, I remember Fenix doing this when they changed to U2.

Sent using Tapatalk 2.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There on there site now too, saw a link in the cpfMP. That's good, I was a little worried they would be eBay only

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
Like the upgrade, but I wish they would change the batterie carrier... I have problems with my TN31, sometimes I need to hit the torch to turn the light back on :( and I use protected 18650, so they shouldn't be to small...
A system like in the Skyray King would have been nice...

Mine does the same thing. When It first arrived I actually though the light was bad from the factory.

aau007

Enlightened
Thrunite is still selling the old 30 and 31 at 156 and 145 respectively. Since the xml2 is a direct replacement of the xml and that's the ONLY difference in the newer model, I seriously doubt the new LED is 20 to 23 dollars more expensive. So profit margin must be higher on the new version but that's TN's marketing decision. Question is whether I should cough up the extra dollars for that extra 20%, given everything else equals. Will I really notice the difference at over 3000 lumens? Gee, does anyone know if there is even new markings on the light to indicate it is xml2? If someone tries to sell you a used one later and tell you it is xml2 version, how do you tell?

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
I seriously doubt the new LED is 20 to 23 dollars more expensive. So profit margin must be higher on the new version
Of course not it's advertised as twice as much lumens/dollar in the debut announcement. It's quite unreasonable to expect manufacturers to have profit margins scale linearly they're are practically always diminishing returns when you pay more money.
XM-L2 is very visibly different.

aau007

Enlightened
Of course not it's advertised as twice as much lumens/dollar in the debut announcement. It's quite unreasonable to expect manufacturers to have profit margins scale linearly they're are practically always diminishing returns when you pay more money.
XM-L2 is very visibly different.

So since the xml2 is only 20% brighter than xml but is "twice as much lumens/dollar", that should make the xml2 cheaper? But the exact same light with just an emitter swap is $20 to $23 more expensive?

What do you mean by "very visibly different"? Isn't the xml2 just a brighter xml in simple term. I read that all physical characteristics are same so even beam pattern should be same, just brighter.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
So since the xml2 is only 20% brighter than xml but is "twice as much lumens/dollar", that should make the xml2 cheaper? But the exact same light with just an emitter swap is $20 to $23 more expensive?

What do you mean by "very visibly different"? Isn't the xml2 just a brighter xml in simple term. I read that all physical characteristics are same so even beam pattern should be same, just brighter.
Yes you're getting a brighter more efficient light and thrunite is forcing you to pay more for it that's exactly right. Things get better and cheaper it's very common but you'll pay top dollar for the best.
I mean it looks different. The footprint is the same as you said.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a different brand of light with XML and one with the new XML2, and you can see it's brighter and throws a bit further, but the beam shape is still basically the same as the older model.
It really isn't a very big difference, but it's enough that you can see it.
But if you had the old XML and didn't have the new one right there to compare it to, you might not be able to identify that you have the old XML or the new XML2.
It's easy to see when you have them both to compare side-by-side, but it might be harder to tell if you don't.

I think it's worth the upgrade for the new XML2 emitter, but don't be expecting some gigantic leap of brightness out of it.

Globi23

Newly Enlightened
Mine does the same thing. When It first arrived I actually though the light was bad from the factory.
There is kind of a fix. I used type 400-600 abrasive paper on the silver connectionn in the middle of the carrier, top and buttom. Also first clean it of any oil fat grease...
some say that this helps the energy flow.

Globi23

Newly Enlightened
Or try to get a carrier which does not have the protection layer against corrision...

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
There is kind of a fix. I used type 400-600 abrasive paper on the silver connectionn in the middle of the carrier, top and buttom. Also first clean it of any oil fat grease...
some say that this helps the energy flow.

Thanks Ill give it a shot.

Latest posts