P60 Drop in question (regarding heat)

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I have a question about the heat transfer issue with P60 drop-ins (Normal pill & reflector, not Malkoff kinds)...

What I read most of the time is to use ALUMINIUM foil to wrap the reflector to make it thick enough to touch the body so that the heat can be transferred to the body.

From what I read, Copper heat up more than twice as fast as the Aluminium and, will cool down quicker at the same rate. But Aluminium has better heat transfer. (Correct me if I am wrong)

So, I happen to have copper & aluminum adhesive tapes, so I thought of trying the following:
Base layer of tape: Copper (To conduct the heat faster)
Last layer (touching body): Aluminium (To transfer heat to body faster)

What do you all think?
Or does anyone has a tried & tested way of improving the P60 drop-ins heat issues?
Thank you!

Sp@rky

Newly Enlightened
Copper and aluminium touching will corrode like crazy too.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Copper is better than aluminum. Hence why most heavy modders use a copper slug to transfer heat away from the emitter ASAP.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copper conducts heat better than aluminium. Copper tape will allow the waste heat to be transferred to the body of the flashlight faster than aluminium. Copper is, unfortunately, more expensive compared to aluminium, but if you are serious about using a P60 setup, copper is the way to go.

So, yes, stick with copper if money is no issue.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You usually only need 2-3 layers of tape, so cost should not be of any concern
(as not is the higher weight of copper - in this application)

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You usually only need 2-3 layers of tape, so cost should not be of any concern
(as not is the higher weight of copper - in this application)

But 2-3 layers cannot get a tight fit of the P60 into the flashlight.
I usually have to go 5-6 layers.

I read that the purpose of the copper/aluminium layers is to make sure that the P60 has full contact with the flashlight body, so that the heat-transfer can be effective. That is why I layer so many times to make them tight fit...

Correct me if I am wrong
Thank you!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
But 2-3 layers cannot get a tight fit of the P60 into the flashlight.
I usually have to go 5-6 layers.

I read that the purpose of the copper/aluminium layers is to make sure that the P60 has full contact with the flashlight body, so that the heat-transfer can be effective. That is why I layer so many times to make them tight fit...

Correct me if I am wrong
Thank you!

Yeah, you want the drop-in to fit as snug as possible.

The amount of tape you need depends on the host. Some have wider inner diameter, and others narrower.

argleargle

Enlightened
Hi all,

I have a question about the heat transfer issue with P60 drop-ins (Normal pill & reflector, not Malkoff kinds)...

What I read most of the time is to use ALUMINIUM foil to wrap the reflector to make it thick enough to touch the body so that the heat can be transferred to the body.

From what I read, Copper heat up more than twice as fast as the Aluminium and, will cool down quicker at the same rate. But Aluminium has better heat transfer. (Correct me if I am wrong)

I'm agreeing with enomosiki on the snug fit and pretty much with everyone else in this thread.

Just like a heat sink attached to a computer part, solid contact is required. A loose heat sink can be worse than not having one at all. Just a foil shim to make the heat connection, so to speak. Thermal compound can also be used.

Copper has a higher specific heat than aluminum. That is to say that by mass, copper can hold more heat than aluminum. This isn't necessarily a good thing for a heat sink, but it's a better heat conductor than aluminum. The second reason is why it's used in the better heat sinks rather than aluminum.

It's the cheap heat sinks that are made of aluminum.

To increase the rate of heat transfer to air, the external surfaces touching external air should be roughened or perhaps bead-blasted before finishing to increase surface area. An externally polished heat sink will radiate less heat due to less surface area than one that's rough-cast or roughened up by some method. More surface area to the air means faster heat transfer.

To reduce the differential metal corrosion (that is aluminum touching copper in an electromagnetic field,) try thermal compound at the joint. Auto-parts-store "Dielectric grease" also works.

Last edited:

PapaLumen

Enlightened
I tried copper adhesive tape on my solarforce lights, the adhesive severely limits the thermal path. Im thinking of changing to aluminium foil without adhesive. Maybe try and experiment if you have a way of measuring the temp.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried copper adhesive tape on my solarforce lights, the adhesive severely limits the thermal path. Im thinking of changing to aluminium foil without adhesive. Maybe try and experiment if you have a way of measuring the temp.

I am not sure how effective (or ineffective) mine is.
But after running the light for a long period of time, the bezel gets quite hot.
So I am assuming that the heat is being transferred from the drop in to the bezel pretty effectively.
What I did was after applying 1 layer, I will roll the reflector on the side of my table to flatten it & repeat for every single layer to make sure that the gap between the tapes are kept to a minimum.

And nope, I don't have anything that can check the temperature. :shakehead

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing that helps is to smooth the foil out first to get rid of the wrinkles. Wrinkles make it hard to squish out the air gaps. I have been able to stuff twice as many wraps around my dropins when flattening using a smooth surface and a flexible "squeegie" (I use a credit card type of card, flexible and flat edged), as opposed to simply flattening it by squashing it with my palm. I have also noticed that the outside of the head heats up more noticeably than before.

Also, for those using the adhesive backed copper foil, a dip in isopropyl or other solvent and some careful wiping may help get rid of that insulating layer of adhesive.

Latest posts