SureFire Dominator is coming

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It have looked like one of the SureFire catalog lights never going to happen, but it is now available for pre order, so it is finally becoming available!
Anyone else planing to get this?

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
I guess i am missing something - is the only reason this costs $40 short of a grand, because it is Surefire? I mean, there are plenty of other good Li-ion lights, that hit or exceed 2k Lumens, for far less than this.

Apologies for a perceived thread crap, but i just don't see how they can justify the cost?

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
Well, given that it doesn't carry features other lights don't have, what else is there to discuss?

How about this.. What am i getting by paying 750 more over say, a TN30 (a light i have been considering now that it is upgraded and on sale...)? I don't care what brand it is.. If you are going to ask that much more than your competiton, you should have a good reason, no?

tonkem

Enlightened
Surefire is a premium light maker and as has been noted before, you either pay the premium or you don't. :) nothing more to say about the price. Just like lupine lights command a premium price. Their betty package is almost $900 as well and puts out 2600 lumens. It is all in what you want.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
I own Surefires. Lots of Surefires, by some people's standards.
But I have to agree. This light is just not 10 or 20 bucks more than something similar. It is HUNDREDS of dollars more. If there truly are features and functions that justify the price, I am all ears.

Beckler

Enlightened
The only thing worse than another 'Surefire vs. everyone else' thread is people complaining about it. Who cares where the discussion goes--let it happen. Not everyone is a flashlight mega-geek who has read every CPF posting six times over. :D

romteb

Enlightened
I wish it was more expensive, as the saying goes "you get what you pay for", make it 2000$ and you have a 108.33% improvment in quality.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurveleven, thanks for the heads up on this light. Forgot about it, & assumed it would never happen like so many other SF's. For me, probably only in my dreams (could only pretend to have needs for something like this to justify splurging), but still exciting, and will be looking forward to reviews etc. Sorry your thread immediately got derailed with the typical stuff. Maybe mods will cut that out for you.

Well, given that it doesn't carry features other lights don't have, what else is there to discuss?

Hey DM would it blow your mind if I told you some members here would actually be willing to pay more for certain lights... if they only had fewer features?

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
What do you think Surefire means by a "9-square LED?"
More than likely that is referring to the LED size. 9mmx9mm square, as in the new Cree MTG-2 emitter which happens to put out 2000 lumens driven to specs. Seems to me this is more than likely the emitter being used in this light.

Size (mm x mm)8.9 x 8.9
Product options6 V, 9 V, 36 V
Maximum drive current (A)3 (6 V), 2 (9 V), 0.5 (36 V)
Maximum power (W)18.5W @ 85°C
Light outputUp to 1987.5 lm @ 18.5 W, 85°C
Viewing angle (degrees)115
Binning85°C, 2- and 4-Step EasyWhite®
Thermal resistance (°C/W)1.5
Reflow-solderableYes – JEDEC J-STD-020C-compatible
RoHS and REACH-compliantYes

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a picture somewhere that shows a prototype Dominator at one of the shot shows. The prototype had a Luminus CBT-90 led (domeless SST-90 on a thick copper pcb). I guess the competitor would be the Skillhunt K30GT.

EDIT: 9*9mm is huge for an led. 9 square millimeters would make much more sense, since the SST-90/SBT-90/CBT-90s are that big.

Sintro

Newly Enlightened
Trolling post removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
More than likely that is referring to the LED size. 9mmx9mm square, as in the new Cree MTG-2 emitter which happens to put out 2000 lumens driven to specs. Seems to me this is more than likely the emitter being used in this light.
[IM]http://www.cree.com/~/media/Images/Cree/Components%20Modules/XLamp/MTG2/MTG2_Cool_Angle_med.JPG[/IMG]

Size (mm x mm)8.9 x 8.9
good thought, I bet youre right

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
I really don't see trashing any thread, just because of the price of the light or the name brand. So they have high priced lights, so what, some will want it, some will not. I don't see the big deal really, or the trashing that goes on. I will never buy one, but I would say "more power to you" for anyone that does. If it's what you want, it's what you want, just like one car maker over another. Poor people call rich people snobs and rich people say poor people "have no class". So what, move on.

Just sayin...

Illum

Flashaholic
Size (mm x mm)8.9 x 8.9

6V, 9V, 36V... thats an odd selection for foward voltage.
12 CR123a is 36V [OCV anyway], I wonder who came up with the concept that 12 CR123A is considered a "practical" way to power a light. Although 36V 0.5A seems really easy on the batteries.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I think for a lot of people its like watches.

A Rolex might cost several thousand dollars, and yet the time it tells you might be the same as a $10 Timex....and people will say "Hey, I get get a watch that tells me the same time as that $2000 watch for only $10, WHY in the world would I spend $2k?

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
Lurveleven, thanks for the heads up on this light. Forgot about it, & assumed it would never happen like so many other SF's. For me, probably only in my dreams (could only pretend to have needs for something like this to justify splurging), but still exciting, and will be looking forward to reviews etc. Sorry your thread immediately got derailed with the typical stuff. Maybe mods will cut that out for you.

Hey DM would it blow your mind if I told you some members here would actually be willing to pay more for certain lights... if they only had fewer features?

Yep, you are picking brain matter off the floor at this point.
Look, i know premium products cost more, but they bring premium features (higher end material, better performance, etc). In this case, i just cant help but feel the premium feature is the name, rather than build (i mean, if it is built from titanium, now we are talking). Perhaps some new battery technology?