RRT-0 XML questions

Beckler

Enlightened
Wasn't getting any replies over on the other thread, so am trying a new one. Just got an RRT0 XML and had a few concerns for current owners.

-If tail switch is On, keeping the ring in Off position for a few sec. puts light to sleep. Turning it back on with the ring then takes a second or two for light to wake up. Normal? No mention in manual.
-It says XML 550Lm on the box, but any other way to confirm that it is? I know there were older LED's in this model also.
-LED isn't centered at all, though I don't really see any effects. The outer fringe of the beam is some odd slightly different color though. Don't remember what.
-The control ring is smooth for the most part, but occasionally, if you press down on it (as though using a flashlight side button), it will bind up a bit. Is this normal?
-The ring also has noticeable play (not excessive) in the "up-down" direction--towards and away from the surface of the flashlight body, if you will.
-Lastly, the SOS mode is annoying so far. It keeps coming on when I don't want it. I know it's because I'm just playing with the brightness levels, but who knows if it will stay annoying. They need a better method for this mode that I think no one has actually used, EVER.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
1. I don't use the ring as an On/Off switch. I'd have gotten the twisty version, RRT-01, if I wanted that operation. I just use the button for On/Off.
2. The regular print on my box says XML, as well as the clear plastic sticker on the side of the box. Plus I can see the XML Led is identical in shape/size to my other XML lights that I own. I reckon you could email JB directly w/ the serial number to confirm.
3. My LED happens to be centered nicely. But on my other lights, some are a little off. I can't discern any difference in the beam's quality while in real world use.
4. Control ring seems smooth to me. I use the thumb and index fingers of either hand to rotate the ring. Never had a reason to press down on the ring w/ one finger such as my thumb.
5. This is my first rotary/control ring light. I have no others to compare the "play" to. Seems like a negligible amount of play to me.
6. I learned of the hidden SOS mode after I bought the light; it doesn't appear to be mentioned in the user manual. In my real world applications, I don't have a need to rotate the ring semi-rapidly three times in quick succession to activate the SOS mode. So it's not annoying to me.
Lastly, I've had my light since Dec 7, 2012. It's my favorite EDC light out of all my AA, AAA, 14500, and 16340 lights (9 of them)...

aau007

Enlightened
- I use the ring to turn on/off the light momentarily when needed. After finishing, I use the tail switch to keep it off for extended period of time. Yes, when off using the ring after a few moment, ring turn on does take a second or so for light to come on.
- there is no marking on the light to indicate xml. I know mine is casue I have older version and the xml LED size is larger and light is a lot brighter comparing to me older ones.
- be careful of visual illusion on the centering. Is the LED not centered or is the board underneath the LED not centered. The LED is not necessarily centered on the board and the board has white dots on the corners that can cause illustion that the LED is not centered. If the beam is not affected and you get a nice round hot spot and nice round spill, you should be ok.
- the light uses magnetic ring to control brightness. That being said, the ring is not physically attached to the body. It is understandable that the ring has play vertically and horizontally. When you press on the ring like pressing a switch, it does shift a little but should not bind. You might have some dirt that got between the ring and the body.
- SOS comes on when you turn the light low/high 3 times in succession. In normal use, you won't be doing this unless you want to blink someone (hi-lo-hi-lo-hi-lo in rapid succession). If you stop momentarily in between, you won't trigger the SOS mode. I suppose they could have added another detent pass the strobe for SOS but in this design, after you trigger SOS mode, you can also adjust the brightness of SOS to extend runtime.

Beckler

Enlightened
Ok thanks for the replies gentlemen. I do like this light overall. Seems unique too, with the ring and AA/123 capability. Anyway, I think the ring/button causes the following interface issue.

I too intend to switch it off using the switch rather than the ring. But what happens when you forget and just leave it in 'soft' off? The next time you go to turn it on with the tail switch, you're actually turning it off. Which you figure out when you start turning the ring. Furthermore, if you wanted to start at lowest level, you then move ring back, and then switch it on, then advance ring. Too much! So to ensure you start in lowest level, if ring is at 'Off' position, you have to first advance the ring. If nothing happens after 2 sec. (waiting for it to wake up), switch is off, so you back off ring, push button, re-advance ring. Not ideal. But anyway this is still a minor issue I would say.

The solution of course is to never use the 'soft' off ring position. But you shouldn't have to a avoid a valid mode like that.

My other question is which RCR123's are you using? Just standard ones or the IMR type? I've only used AA so far...

Last edited:

aau007

Enlightened
Your other solution is to NOT use the tail switch. Leave the switch to on and just use the ring on/off. The drain is small, not like you lose the whole battery in a week. If you use the light often enough and always have spare battery around, you really should not care. To be honest, I use the ring on/off a lot since I don't want to change grip when I turn the light on/off. I don't mind the slight delay. Changing grip always increase the chance of dropping the light.

Some will argue that I might as well get the rrt01, which does away with the tail switch. However, I like the rrt0 because of the slightly larger size and AA capability. The rrt0 is just the right size for me so I grib the light secured enough while able to adjust brightness with ease. rrt01 is a little too short that when I put my fingers on the ring, remaining grip on the light does not feel secure enough. Furthermore, I have attack bezel on my rrt0, which is not an option on the rrt01.

RCR123 question. IMR provides the highest output for this light but other protected 16340s and 14500s will also work if you want longer on time per battery.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Currently, I rotate between an AW IMR 16340 and 14500. I use the 16340 at least 80% of the time. I like the shorter length; plus it fits in my work pants' pen pocket better...

aau007

Enlightened
Currently, I rotate between an AW IMR 16340 and 14500. I use the 16340 at least 80% of the time. I like the shorter length; plus it fits in my work pants' pen pocket better...

How do you rotate 16340 and 14500? Do you carry the extension tube with you? Won't that defeat the purpose of "shorter length"?

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Well, before leaving the house for work, I'll add/remove the extension tube and change out the battery. But I'm not crazy about a little bit of the light sticking out of my pocket a bit. A lil concerned w/ bumps/scratches; hence, the majority of the time is the 16340. I use the 14500 simply to rotate/exercise my 14500s...
How do you rotate 16340 and 14500? Do you carry the extension tube with you? Won't that defeat the purpose of "shorter length"?

Last edited:

Beckler

Enlightened
New issue: with AA battery, it doesn't seem bright at all. Comparing it to my old (5 years?) Fenix single-AA light, which was rated at around 100Lm on max, it's barely brighter than the fenix is on it's *lowest*. What's going on here? The RRT0 is rated at 110 Lm on AA. Anyone else do any comparisons?

*Update: seems fine now, was just particular AA's used

Last edited: