My first real mod...Mag 1D

unclearty

Enlightened
This light has been a long time coming. I started with a cut down 2 D Mag to become a 1D Mag. Got an Electrolumen 3AA to 1D adaptor with 3 alkalines. Found a guy on Ebay who was selling these 1W Luxeon adaptors for Maglights. SAt in my basement the other night when everything finally showed up. 1st pic shows assembled unit..note the height of 1D Mag. 2nd shot all disassembled...note cut down reflector..chucked a dremel cutting wheel into my drill press..layed a piece of wood down as turning base, and slowly rotated upside down reflector against the wheel. Worked out prety well. 3rd shot shows the adaptor. Very nicely made turned piece of aluminum. Only had to slightly enlarge the mounting holes of the Luxeon to fit. Installed a NX05 collimator to the star and put everything together. This light is running direct drive..no resistor...very, very white beam with only a little bit of the squarish die showing . I'm very pleased with the outcome. Feels good, nice weight...now I just need some time to do a runtime test.
flashlightmod.jpg

unclearty

Enlightened
Veeerrrrrryyyy carefully...I used a toothpick and put a very small bead of 2 part epoxy around the base of the Luxeon dome..set the optic in the epoxy and slowly alighned it to sit as square as possible.