Prometheus        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coleman rocks a new WARM lantern!

Default Coleman rocks a new WARM lantern!

What's so interesting about a new Coleman led lantern? How about coming stock with a warm led!

This is the lantern: http://www.kellyscamping.com.au/p/74...o-lantern.html

For some reason, Coleman is offering this lantern in Australia and New Zealand right now, and not North America. I paid through the nose, and then some, to ship one from Australia to the US. Just got it tonight.

Anywho, here are the list of nice improvements over some other lanterns:

Warm led, but not too warm or yellow. I would estimate 3200k. Extremely pleasant.
    transparent dome, so hangs upside down well without a dark spot directly under it.
    Frosted globe - no glare! The led itself is in a small frosted dome inside as well. The effect of the dome and globe together is that it looks like its using a very bright white incan bulb. It's a cool look.
    4 amber LEDs for nightlight
    Low is a very useable level. Decently bright, but noticeable from high.
    Dual power sources - 4Ds, or Coleman's rechargeable CPX 6 pack. Comes with the 4D holder.
    Feels sturdily built. It will take some knocks.
    Rated at 175 lumens. Looks every bit of it.
    Unique modern look, but retains the classic Coleman shape. The outside of the base is transparent, which balances nicely with the clear top
    Strong steel bail is sturdily attached.

This is the lantern many of us have been looking for. Coleman, please bring it to the US!

Don't be deceived by the 175 vs. the 300 of the 3D rayovac. They are not far apart at all.

I ordered a Gentos (aka Rayovac, aka favourlight, aka many others) from Japan, with warm led. Looking to compare...
    Last edited by Phaserburn; 01-10-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Default Re: Coleman rocks a new WARM lantern!

About freakin' time the lantern folk caught up; after nearly half a decade of playing with warm tints in flashlights.. Is the runtime is well-regulated?

I don't know anyone who wants a cold tint lantern, I hope this starts a trend..

No claims of circuit regulation, but I would think you'd get the massive runtimes 4 Ds with moderate led drive would provide.

Best Diffusion Film!

LOL at the price on their website -

Original price $1,282,581.00
    Our price $49.95
    You Save $1,282,531.05

What a savings!

Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 01-10-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Found another warm one: the Coleman Table Lamp, 4D/CPX Cree XP-E warm, and available in the US. The reviews imply it's not that bright, might be best if it's just you and you want to read, but hey, 100 hours, $25..

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Found another warm one: the Coleman Table Lamp, 4D/CPX Cree XP-E warm, and available in the US. The reviews imply it's not that bright, might be best if it's just you and you want to read, but hey, 100 hours, $25..
    saw that one; the brightness is fine, but it seems a little large for what it is. I also don't care for the shade being able to wobble about, if that's the case. But tempting to try...

Best Diffusion Film!

Thanks for the thread, Phaser.

I've owned Coleman's products in the past and traded/gifted them, because the build quality was horrible.
    The Favourlights are much higher quality.

Is there anything you can add to your post about build quality?

Is this a "must buy" for Flashoholics?

The favor lights do have better build quality. Part of this is because Coleman makes their products larger than they need to be to achieve the branding recognition that their classic lantern shape affords. So, it will feel lighter weight in materials because the lamp would weigh a ton otherwise. IMHO. It's a design choice. That said, I think the Coleman will survive plenty of outdoor use for sure. If it didn't, the product line would be a train wreck for them as they sell tons of led lanterns to campers, etc, and its not.

A must buy for all? No, it's not wildly different from their existing 4d led line. But, if you look at lanterns and see glare and a harsh blue tint that is unpleasant for area lighting, then yes. Hoping it comes to the US.
    Last edited by Phaserburn; 01-12-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Best Diffusion Film!

Okay, cool.

I absolutely hate it when companies release into only one or another market.

From the picture, it looks like the diffusion/glare shield may be better than the Favourlights.

Although I don't think their build quality is all that stout, their glare reduction shields are tops in my book.

Flashaholic

Looks neat, but soo far behind what is possible with today's warm LED tech. You could buy one of those and swap out whatever LED's they got in there for some warm white XML's or XML2's. The lantern body seems similar to the retro one i modded (see link below) and achieved over 1000 lumens with excellent runtime (albeit in cool white). Had i used warm white LED's i'm sure i would still be around the 700 - 800 lumen mark. The diffuser i used was still better then anything i've bought from Coleman.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ens-Cree-X-ML)
    (`._.[MM]._.)

On a quest to find the holy grail of LED flash lights, a torch so bright it burns womens clothes off!

Phaserburn, since you seem to be the only guy with one of these at present, could you do a current test on this?

Six volts from the batteries on high...I am guessing maybe 500mA to 650mA to the LED...I'd love to know the current draw from the cells at six volts...

I am guessing 325 to 380mA from the cells...?
    Last edited by LEDAdd1ct; 01-20-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    Phaserburn, since you seem to be the only guy with one of these at present, could you do a current test on this?

Six volts from the batteries on high...I am guessing maybe 500mA to 650mA to the LED...I'd love to know the current draw from the cells at six volts...

I am guessing 325 to 380mA from the cells...?
    Ask and you shall receive...

High - 480ma, Low - 160ma, nitelite amber leds - 60ma.

I'm no expert, but here's what I think. For D cells, I would expect - around 10A capacity on high, netting a runtime of around 20 hrs. On low, around 14A capacity, for a runtime of 88hrs. Nitelites, around 18A, for a runtime of 300hrs. Maybe someone can check my math.

Best Diffusion Film!

I FINALLY found the Lantern forum!

Really interested in this Gentos Warm LED lantern Phaserburn! I hope these 2 lanterns are a sign of things to come in the US!

Im looking for a 300 Lumen top output Warm LED Light with 3 or 4 level settings, High, Medium, Low, Night Light (or even better Infinite Dimmability), running 3 or better yet 4 D cells.

@Phaserburn, thanks for the current readings. Not the most efficient LED out there, but not horrible, either.

@EscapeVelocity, I have the Gentos Explorer EX-777XP warm white LED lantern for sale in my "Light up the Night Lantern Sale" over on the Marketplace. I won't be able to ship for some time, but if you are interested in the set, please email me off the forum.

Any other thoughts?

I am strongly considering having a pair shipped here and getting a DC input jack
    modded into it.

I don't care for batteries, but I think these would be great around the house.

This is still the only store-shelf lantern I'd care to own aside from the Favourlight/40426. Warm tint really should be the default for a lantern.

Warm tint really should be the default for a lantern.
    Agreed.

It annoys me, the prospect of having to import one of these, at very high shipping, from the other
    side of the planet.

I really don't see what the big deal is about offering this in other countries.

Most of modern electronic gear comes from China.

Hey, Coleman execs, are you listening?

Sell this in North America!
    People will buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn View Post
    High - 480ma, Low - 160ma, nitelite amber leds - 60ma.
    I have a question:

I am probably going to wind up getting a few (two or three of these) and have them brought here, to the United States.
    Batteries are a pain, and I will have them modded to have a DC input jack for easy of use.

I really like power supplies that have folding blades, because it makes them easier to transport and less likely
    to catch on things.

We are working with a 6v supply, and a maximum current draw of 480mA on high.

It can be hard to find a 6v power supply with folding plugs.

Would a 5v power supply rated at over three times the current work?

Alkalines are notorious for sagging under load.

What do you guys think?

I am looking right now for a six volt power supply with folding plugs,
    but if I can't find one, would a 5v power supply rated at way more than enough current be okay?

What about a 7v power supply?
    Last edited by LEDAdd1ct; 09-20-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Under load, 4 alks would be a lot closer to 5v than 6v. That's why a mag 4 cell bulb is rated at 4.8v.

Best Diffusion Film!

I didn't find a 6.0v power supply with folding plug, but I did find a 5.0v, a 6.5v, and a 7.0v.

I think the 6.5v is totally the way to go.

If I would up buying three of the lanterns and getting them modded for DC...
    if we figure each one uses three watts, three of them would be nine watts.

I could leave them running, on high, 24/7 and never walk into a dark room at only a negligible
    increase in household energy consumption and electrical cost.

EDIT: Does anyone think a 6.5v power supply would hurt the driver? I wouldn't think 0.5v extra would harm it, I would think it might just draw a little less current. But I really am not sure.
    Last edited by LEDAdd1ct; 09-20-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    I didn't find a 6.0v power supply with folding plug, but I did find a 5.0v, a 6.5v, and a 7.0v.

I think the 6.5v is totally the way to go.

If I would up buying three of the lanterns and getting them modded for DC...
    if we figure each one uses three watts, three of them would be nine watts.

I could leave them running, on high, 24/7 and never walk into a dark room at only a negligible
    increase in household energy consumption and electrical cost.

EDIT: Does anyone think a 6.5v power supply would hurt the driver? I wouldn't think 0.5v extra would harm it, I would think it might just draw a little less current. But I really am not sure.
    I don't know which is better 6.5 or 5.0 volts. I would say that 5.0 is certainly within the specs. because the batteries will drop down to that. I did a run-time test on the Ozark Trail 300 lumen lantern that runs on 3D cells, and tracked the ma and voltage. Even though the batteries were a little over 1.5 volts at start, when under-load, they produced or delivered less than 1.5 volts each.
    On one of those energizer lanterns with light fusion technology, I connected a USB cable to the battery box, and ran it on a 5V usb output power pack, and it ran fine. It is a 6V lantern.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

I am not the most knowledgeable guy, by a long shot, on LED drivers.

Here is my guesswork:

I am assuming the lantern uses only one LED.

If it only uses one LED, then at the specified 175 lumens, the forward voltage of the LED can't be very high at all.

Is this is true, here are my guesses.

1) If the lantern uses a linear regulator, then it just burns off any excess voltage. So, a 5.0v supply would be better than a 6.5v supply, because there would be less to "get rid of."

2) The thing is, the lantern uses a knob to hard switch between modes. That doesn't suggest very intelligent circuitry or regulation, just resistors.

3) If this is true, would these be current limiting resistors? Would that mean 5.0v would be better, as it would "burn" less current...?

I am waiting to hear back from my contact "Down Under" about getting one of these...
    Last edited by LEDAdd1ct; 09-21-2014 at 05:59 PM.

I suspect it is resistored. I would think 6.5v would push more current than 5v, not less.

Resistored doesn't = bad in a light like this. Get away from CPF where a user might be in serious need of reliability and long term use with AC chargers or hookup, or even battery changes, and it's the winner vs a regulated light.

Best Diffusion Film!

This is still the only store-shelf lantern I'd care to own aside from the Favourlight/40426. Warm tint really should be the default for a lantern.
    Warm should be the default for many other applications as well, lanterns especially so.

In my friend's motor home the other night I kept thinking this while he showed off all the LED lights and his proudest item, the cold, harsh bluish tinted lantern.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Remember guys that any 6V lantern (four alkaline cells) can also run on four NiMH batteries and their voltage will be a lot closer to 5V, or even a bit lower, than the no load 6V of fresh alkalines. Once under maximum load the alkalines will drop to as low or lower voltage than the NiMH batteries if the current draw is substantial.

Amazon has a seller now offering a small 110 Lumens warm white 3AA lantern listed for $19.99. Per one review it looks like a rebadged Favourlight LTC-1613AA-W. Being sold as the "CREE 40426 110 Lumens Bright Light CREE XLamp Warm White Camping LED Lantern".

Does anyone have pictures of the bottom of the lantern?

Is it all plastic, or partly metal?

I am thinking about where a hole could be drilled for the DC jack...

The Coleman bottom is all plastic.

Best Diffusion Film!

Who would like to create some comparison images of the coleman and an Fenix CL Lantern?

I took receipt of two of these today, fresh off the boat (plane?) from Australia.

My thoughts:

Most of the modern Coleman LED lanterns fail to impress me. The build quality is very shoddy and one model I checked out in the store, I think it was a "Rugged" model, felt so cheap I thought the battery compartment/lid might fall apart in my hand. This lantern is built better than that, but, not night and day better.

The output selector switch on the "Rugged" model felt exceedingly flimsy. The output selector switch on this model is better, but, again, not by a tremendous amount. I firmly believe low should have been placed next to the "OFF" position so that the user would go to low first to conserve battery life rather than jump straight to high.

The difference between low and high is noticeable, but, not huge.

Now, for the important part, the beam quality and tint!

The tint is simply outstanding. I wouldn't quite call it warm but I wouldn't quite call it neutral; if all my flashlights had this tint, I think I would be quite pleased! It (the one out of the two I tested) has absolutely no blue or green, but, I wouldn't quite call it yellow either, maybe 80% white with a "just right" hint of yellow.

As far as glare goes, the outside diffuser does a pretty good job of cutting back the glare, but, it isn't perfect.
    I remember one CPF'er stating that he/she preferred ceiling bounce because inevitably, with lanterns, your eye gets drawn to the light,
    and *POOF*, there goes any night vision you might have acquired.

I have to say that the 5mm(?) yellow LEDs in the special nightlight mode are simply outstanding. They are absolutely yellow/amber, no doubt about it. It takes maybe five to eight minutes for your eyes to adjust, and then, you can navigate a dark room using just those yellow/amber LEDs. Waking up in the middle of the night to use the restroom/shower, you could definitely get around with them.

Additional Musings:

The battery compartment strikes me as being needlessly complicated, though that is the tradeoff for being able to use their rechargeable battery pack, which gets largely panned in online reviews. I fear the outer plastic globe will get easily scratched unless the lantern is babied. I wish it had an external jack for a separate battery.

Was it worth importing from Australia? I would say "Yes." While not the definition of rock solid build quality, the mechanical, rotary selector switch doesn't have parasitic drain like an electronic switch does. With only resistors at play, there are no complicated electronics or drivers to fail. Given how hard it was to obtain this lantern (well, I mean, not especially "hard"...just pricey), I would hesitate to use it outside. I think I will probably get one modded to use a 6V/12V power source from outside the lantern, and keep one stock for "D" cell alkaline use. However, given that I just found a 6D Maglite with a special Malkoff ruined by leaking alkalines (my fault as I should have removed and discarded the cells years ago), I am hesitant to put/run alkalines in these lanterns.

Are there newer/more efficient LEDs/LED lanterns out there? Yes. Is it nice to get something and not have to mess with it? Absolutely! I still need to try the Bushnell lantern, and see how it compares with respect to tint, output, and glare, with tint/glare (or lack thereof) being more important to me than absolute output.

The final (and most important) question to me is

"How do I feel when sitting down in the living room bathed in the light from this lantern?"

And the answer is "Pretty darn good!" :-)
    Last edited by LEDAdd1ct; 11-18-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Unenlightened

Default Coleman rocks a new WARM lantern

Ive given up on getting a set of a lantern and stove from the fall of 1961 there are rabid Collectors out there, you know. So I am getting the same lantern as shown here, to match the new dual-fuel stove I bought last month. Forget the old memories- make new ones However, that said, the hiss of the Coleman at night, and the smell of the naptha are memories that I dont wish to part with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast