3*AAA replacement?

ruf997tt

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple cheapie LED lights that use 3*AAA in a cylindrical insert/battery carrier. The insert measures approximately 48mm tall x 19mm round. Is there a comparable single battery that I could use in place of the 3*AAA?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the idea and go out and treat yourself to something new.A single AAA light these days can blow many of the 3* AAA cell lights out of the water in terms of brightness.

Fenix-Klarus just to name 2 offer cheap single AAA that are really bright.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you don't mind getting into Li-Ions, the 18500 size is pretty common in solar lights. I was able to get some LiFePO4s from Wal Mart for about a buck each. These 3.2v nominal cells require a different charger from 3.6/3.7v nominal cells, but they have acceptable energy density. They'll fit with a bit of rattling in place of a 3xAAA carrier, and can be more firmly held with a spacer or something.

If you don't want to go to Li-Ions, you may want to try quality NiMHs. You'll need to get a somewhat-select charger though, since a sickening number of NiMH chargers only want to charge pairs - this is annoying when you use in threes and charge in twos.

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
Not to seal the thread, but I have a similar question.
I just received a new dive light that uses an 18650 but also comes with an insert so I can use 3 AAA's
Can I also use this insert on other 18650 lights?
Or will the voltage be wrong?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to seal the thread, but I have a similar question.
I just received a new dive light that uses an 18650 but also comes with an insert so I can use 3 AAA's
Can I also use this insert on other 18650 lights?
Or will the voltage be wrong?

You'll find out how weak 3xAAA is compared to 18650. It'll work, but the batteries won't go very far.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Forget the idea and go out and treat yourself to something new.A single AAA light these days can blow many of the 3* AAA cell lights out of the water in terms of brightness.

+1, anything that will directly replace your 3xAAA holder will probably cost ~$30, which is the cost of a quality, modern 1xAAA light. The Illuminati is a good example; assuming your cheapie light is roughly 20 lumens, this 1xAAA light is six times brighter while using one third of the batteries. A much better deal.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 modified Rayovac 3 aaa lights, they now house P60 drop ins and AW 18500 batteries. The 18500 fit most 3 aaa lights, some times you may need to stretch a spring or something like that.

bertmizer

Newly Enlightened
I replaced my 3 AAA battery pack with one 18500 3.7 Li-ion 1300mAh rechargeable battery that I bought on Ebay (12.95 for a two-pack). It took 30 days shipping from China, but it's the right length (53mm). Not quite the same diameter as the 3 AAA pack (22.5mm). The diameter of the 18500 is 18.35mm. I will get some plastic tubing (22mm OD x 19mm ID) and cut it so it slips inside the flashlight casing. The 18500 should slip right in. Right now I'm using a simple paper roll I made to keep the battery from rattling inside. I don't like 3 AAA battery pack flashlights, but I keep getting them as gifts. Now I can use the rechargeable battery and not have to keep replacing the AAAs. I recharge the batteries using an UltraFire 3.7 Rapid Charger.