SST90 LED with SST90-reflector from DX - how to build.

Vidar2032

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

My first post here.

I have 4pcs. SST90 LED and SST90-reflectors (73mm diameter), also 4pcs. suitable heatsinks, bought at dealextreme. This reflector is suppose to be attached on the front of the LED chip, but the LED has its solder connectors on that side. That will result in short circuit if I place the aluminium reflector on it.

Have anyone built a flashlight or other kind of torche with these items, and possibly have some tips and hints?

I plan to mount 2 pcs in series driven with a car battery, and a resistant insolated copper wire (0.65 Ohm) as a protection against too much current. I read that these SST90 LEDs are driven at 4.2V at 9A maximum. With approx 14 volts on the car battery when the engine is running, I will have approx 5.6V over the copper resistor, and at 9A there is 50W heat (I do not care about this loss - I just want bright cool white lights on the car).

Vidar

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
First look around on the forum, there's a lot of information.

You can make a small round piece of paper that fit on the SST-90 so the solder points are protected.
And second, you should use a driver. That way you have the much better efficiency/runtime. And the LEDs will last longer and it's safer.

And there is a sub forum for flashlight mods. You should look there.

:welcome:

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most countries have rather strict laws about vehicular lighting while on public roads. Are you putting these on a certified-to-drive car? If so, have you checked for compliance with laws and safety needs?

Vidar2032

Newly Enlightened
It is legal to mount extra lights from a authorized dealer, but as my LED lamps are custom made by myself I think that is not legal. I will make them revomable just to have extra light when I drive on small roads in the forrest. I assume I would be stopped by the police pretty quick if those lights was used on the highway...