ArmyTek        

Thread: TM11 vs TK75 - which and why?

Flashaholic

Default TM11 vs TK75 - which and why?

Looking to get into the LiIon lights and want something with power.

I've got a TK45 and love that light but want one of the super lights. Was all set on the TM11 as I can get it for under $200 from Amazon. Then I started reading about the TK75 and it also looks to be a great light.

Not looking for tons of throw - main use will be around the house and maybe in the woods and while walking the dog. And of course in the event of a power failure it would be nice to have tons of light.

So which would be the better light - TM11 or TK75. I love the compactness of the TM11 - there's something cool about all that light in a small package. The TK75 is a little larger but has 600 more lumens.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: TM11 vs TK75 - which and why?

Two very different lights.
    The TM11 is primarily a flood light, but it has a bit of throw just from the raw power.
    The TK75 is really accented at the longer throw, but it has a reasonable amount of useful spill around it.
    So, the beam distance and type is a big factor that you must decide upon, along with the other things.
    Brawndo. It's got what plants crave!

I believe goinggear has a phenominal deal on the the TM 11, if that helps at all. There is a coupon code required with the deal, but I believe we are discouraged from discussing this type of thing here. :-)
    Last edited by maxrep12; 01-12-2013 at 08:08 AM.

The TM15 is a better comparison to the TK75, the 75 has a bit more throw and the 15 has better overall beam shape in my opinion. The 75 has scalloping in the beam around the edges with shadows and artifacts. The 15 has a remarkably clean round beam on the edges for a multi-emitter light. The 15 fits in a holster and one is provided. The large shoulder of the head on the 75 makes it difficult to fit in a holster. The 15 battery chamber is integrated which means less parts and the 75 battery magazine is plastic, how long will it last? The 15 batteries are are in parallel array as opposed to serial in the 75. This enables much more flexability to run the 15 on anywhere from 1 to 4 18650 or 2 to 8 CR123a or RCR123. The 15 has onboard battery charging with both AC and DC power cords available. The charger is reliable and works well charging the batteries to a safe 4.1 volts. And lastly the Thrunite Catapult diffusers and color filters will fit the 15. To my knowledge no filters or diffusers have been determined to fit the 75. I compared these two about a month ago and obviously, I am biased to the TM15 and purchased it.

The TM11 is not a great comparison to the TK75. The performance is considerably less. The 11 has shallow reflectors which translates to a floodlight with limited throw. If that is what you need though then it is a great light with most of the advantages of the TM15.

PM sent. Check it out.
    Last edited by skeeterbait; 01-12-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Flashaholic*

I don't know if you can considered the TM15. I don't have the TK75, but I have the TM15 neutral-white and it is a very impressive light. I did get it though at a screaming deal advertised over on the cpfmarketplace, so I'm not sure what the going price is. I really like the TM15 package as a whole and the output is just incredible. I think the overall size is easier to manage than the TK75. I suspect the TM11 is of similar quality and I must say the GG deal is very nice for a light with this level of output. I would buy the TM11 just for fun, but it won't get used with my other lights especially since I need to get the S6330 eventually.

On the TM15 the only thing I think is really bad is the user-interface. The control ring interface like the old big EagleTac lights and some of the new big Surefire lights, not to mention some small lights, is an interface much better suited to lights with this level of output. I due like the the TM15 has a easy momentary on, that's great for a high-powered light you may not run continuously. Using a headlamp and having this baby at the ready is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbait View Post
    The TM15 is a better comparison to the TK75, the 75 has a bit more throw and the 15 has better overall beam shape in my opinion. The 75 has scalloping in the beam around the edges with shadows and artifacts. The 15 has a remarkably clean round beam on the edges for a multi-emitter light. The 15 fits in a holster and one is provided. The large shoulder of the head on the 75 makes it difficult to fit in a holster. The 15 battery chamber is integrated which means less parts and the 75 battery magazine is plastic, how long will it last? The 15 batteries are are in parallel array as opposed to serial in the 75. This enables much more flexability to run the 15 on anywhere from 1 to 4 18650 or 2 to 8 CR123a or RCR123. The 15 has onboard battery charging with both AC and DC power cords available. The charger is reliable and works well charging the batteries to a safe 4.1 volts. And lastly the Thrunite Catapult diffusers and color filters will fit the 15. To my knowledge no filters or diffusers have been determined to fit the 75. I compared these two about a month ago and obviously, I am biased to the TM15 and purchased it.

The TM11 is not a great comparison to the TK75. The performance is considerably less. The 11 has shallow reflectors which translates to a floodlight with limited throw. If that is what you need though then it is a great light with most of the advantages of the TM15.

PM sent. Check it out.

very thorough reply! but you missed one thing...

TK75 has a TIMER based stepdown (20 mins), so even if you keep it very cool it will still stepdown to 40%

TM15 has thermal stepdown, so if you could keep it cool then no stepdown. full power!

let's borrow selfbuilt's graph

Yep, forgot that one. Also forgot to mention the lighted switch that serves as a beacon to find the light in the dark, and also serves as a battery voltage gauge accurate to within a tenth of a volt and indicates when batteries are depleted and require recharging.

Flashaholic*

Default TM11 vs TK75 - which and why?

You might consider the zebralight s6330? Smaller and more compact than both lights you mention and has lower lows and a great UI. Just my .02.

Flashaholic

Thanks for all the input. I'm trying to stay right around $200 for the light so I think that puts the TM15 out of range unless I can get in on one of the deals. I do like the TM15 and that i wouldn't have to buy a charger but I think at this point it's out of the price range.

Sounds like the decision is more of a "do I want a thrower" or "do I want a floody light". My thought is to get a thrower as the TK45 is a floody light with decent lumen output.

I will also have to check out the Zebralight.

Quote Originally Posted by itguy07 View Post

I will also have to check out the Zebralight.
    In the OP you didn't mention the s6330, so I chose not to comment on it. The truth is I have the big Zebra arriving at my home today. Actually, it is extremely small, but is the largest of the Zebra herd.

Cellguy is offering a sweet deal on this light along with batteries.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by maxrep12 View Post
    In the OP you didn't mention the s6330, so I chose not to comment on it. The truth is I have the big Zebra arriving at my home today. Actually, it is extremely small, but is the largest of the Zebra herd.

Cellguy is offering a sweet deal on this light along with batteries.
    Right, mine is supposed to be here today, as well. We shall see. For me, I like more floody beams that allow for illumination of everything in front of you, as I don't hunt or SAR, so distance is not that big of an issue. From my experience, the higher the lumens and narrower the degree of the beam, the light can go a good distance. I am speaking of the difference between my Lupine Wilma TL vs my Lupine Betty TL, the Wilma has 16 deg beam at 1100 lumens with a brighter hotspot than the betty(it seams, since the beam is more focused to the 16 degree point, whereas the Betty is 26 degree and 2600 lumens, but is able to over power the Wilma in sheer lumen output. Both lights do get hot, after a bit on the highest output, but the are very small like the zebralight is, but they are Pricey. Might be worth your look as well.

http://www.lupine2013.de/products/flashlights

My thought is to get a thrower....

You've got your answer, since you just ruled out the TM11.

These two lights are not really comparable. Different ends of the spectrum as triple XM-L's

TK75 is a thrower and a beast, and your already comfortable with the Fenix UI Fenix store on cpfmp has a discount code, I bought mine from hidCanada because I'm in Canada and I'm quite happy with it.
    It throws, it's awesome bright and the UI makes it easy for an old guy like me (turned 36 yesterday)
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    TK75 is a thrower and a beast, and your already comfortable with the Fenix UI Fenix store on cpfmp has a discount code, I bought mine from hidCanada because I'm in Canada and I'm quite happy with it.
    It throws, it's awesome bright and the UI makes it easy for an old guy like me (turned 36 yesterday)
    Yes good choice. Happy Birthday also!

Although it has about 300 lumens less thant the TM15, I can recommend the T60CS from sunwayman.
    It too can be charged via an optional dock. The only disadvantage of this light is maybe the shorter runtime on 3 x 18650 instead of the 4 x 18650 of the TM15. The big plus is the strangton interface and the in my opinion better grip on the light. I ordered mine some days ago and now have to wait about 3-4 weeks....
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbait View Post

PM sent. Check it out.

Flashaholic

Thanks everyone!

I took a look at the other lights mentioned here and they all looked very good - I was really liking the Sunwayman T60CS but for some reason feel more comfortable with 4 cells vs 3 and the parallel configuration of the TM series seemed to be the safest for a LiIon newbie like myself.

I ended up getting in on one of the smoking deals on the TM15 that I was PM'ed about and so I ordered a Neutral White one. The waiting will be the hardest part.

Thumbs up Re: TM11 vs TK75 - which and why?

Glad to hear it! Your gonna be really impressed.

Flashaholic*

Thanks everyone!

I took a look at the other lights mentioned here and they all looked very good - I was really liking the Sunwayman T60CS but for some reason feel more comfortable with 4 cells vs 3 and the parallel configuration of the TM series seemed to be the safest for a LiIon newbie like myself.

I ended up getting in on one of the smoking deals on the TM15 that I was PM'ed about and so I ordered a Neutral White one. The waiting will be the hardest part.
    Be sure to let us all know how you like it

Flashaholic

I'll definitely report back when I get it!

Thanks
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

I love my TK75!!

I know this is an old thread but can someone guide me to the best deal on a TM15 please? I just sold my TK35 and now I have some funds to get one. I was going to get the TM11 until I came across this thread. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by al g blenny View Post
    I know this is an old thread but can someone guide me to the best deal on a TM15 please? I just sold my TK35 and now I have some funds to get one. I was going to get the TM11 until I came across this thread. Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Check out the good deal section; http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/for...?82-Good-Deals or http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/for...ealer-s-Corner

I hate to ask this but I saw a bunch on "that auction site" for a LOT cheaper than other websites. Should I be worried about fakes?

Quote Originally Posted by al g blenny View Post
    I hate to ask this but I saw a bunch on "that auction site" for a LOT cheaper than other websites. Should I be worried about fakes?
    There always can be fakes. If you buy on eBay, buy it at a known seller.

Glad I found this thread. I'm also looking to get a tm15. Hoping to get new and Still searching for a good deal.

Enlightened

Grinser2 Re: TM11 vs TK75 - which and why?

I have seen these two flashlights in HongKong,I think TK75 is better!
    TK75 is much stronger than TM11.

Definitely go the TK75 unless size is a major concern. Much brighter and throwier, cheaper too!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I really prefer the TK75, for several reasons, especially the fact it can be (if oversize doesn't matter) extended with tubes, to increase the autonomy of the flashlight, which is great.
    I only regret, comparing to TK70, the lack of a good sling to hold it for a long time... TM11 is nice too, but without any comparison to me.