Light Projects, just some ideas...

Iry

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

Im new here so looking for loads of advice. I have an medium interest in flashlights and things that "make bright", having collected a few, I now want to build my own, as its just more fun and a sense of pride being able to say, Yeah, I made this one myself!

Anyway, projects I had in mind are: A bike light with a bit of throw and good flood, as I ride to work and in the winter its rather dark over here in the UK. Something with a separate batt. pack running maybe 2 18650's ( Its a short ride ;) ) with a high and low level is what I had in mind. I been looking at various websites ( DX, RS Components(UK website, reasonable range of stock, seems more organised than farnells)) and had the Luminus SST-90 in mind. But as I'm completely new at this, I need some advice regarding things like what driver board to use, reflector or lense, housing and heatsinking. Those being the major issues, I figured that'd be what I need help with, general putting together and wiring/soldering I feel competent enough with :tinfoil: .

Other projects I want to have a bash at are things like a headlamp with a really good flood and run time for hiking; an EDC-type "hand-canon" with huge output AND as much run time as possible.

Like I said, most of what I need is advice about matching emitters with lenses/reflectors, and managing heat. Unfortunately I dont have access or skills with machining tools such as lathes, the limit is a drill and dremel, so I'll be looking for ideas about housing all the bits and pieces.

Right. Thanks in advance, I've read quite a few threads on here and you all seem like a great bunch, and have the knowledge to boot!

Cheers,
Iry

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some surprisingly good ways to do this with plumbing bits and bobs. Look up DIYBikeLight (.net?). It turns out that 3/4 inch pipe in the US is quite close to housing 20mm diameter parts. It's easy to get LEDs on 20mm bases, and 20mm diameter optics, and AAs are 14mm in diameter.

With a low power budget (Say, 5W or so) you can make a bike light with copper pipe on the handlebars and a wire going to your battery pack and switches. You'll get a steampunk vibe doing a whole light this way. It's tough to put switches in pipe or endcap, but mostly takes patient drilling.

Sites like LEDSupply, illuminationsupply, cutter.com.au, and so on will have the parts you want. I suggest you use pre-built drivers and buy LEDs on 20mm stars for easy working. LEDs need controlled current and a thermal path to cool themselves off. Good luck!

Iry

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for reply. Yes I was considering plumbing parts for housing, though I was thinking PVC as its more workable, until I remembered the heat issue...I guess copper pipe would be better, and could always be painted.

A question about the pre-built drivers: When they mention 3/4/5 mode driver, does that mean for each power on/off, it will cycle through the modes as per commercial lights?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for reply. Yes I was considering plumbing parts for housing, though I was thinking PVC as its more workable, until I remembered the heat issue...I guess copper pipe would be better, and could always be painted.

A question about the pre-built drivers: When they mention 3/4/5 mode driver, does that mean for each power on/off, it will cycle through the modes as per commercial lights?

Usually, yes. I prefer to avoid drivers with blinky modes. It's usually VERY HARD to remove modes, so don't plan on it. I do like to use optics, as they just seem to sit more nicely in pipe end caps for me than reflectors do.