Lumintop Tool AAA (XP-G R5, 1xAAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Warning: pic heavy as usual. :wave:

Tool019.jpg

Tool020.jpg

It's been awhile since my last 1xAAA-class light review. :whistle:

Welcome to the Lumintop Tool AAA, a new 1xAAA light from Lumintop that features a tailcap clicky switch. I previously reviewed the twisty-only Lumintop Worm. It's been awhile since my last 1xAAA review … let's see how this new light compares to the competition.

Manufacturer Reported Specifications:
Note: as always, these are only what the manufacturer reports. To see my actual testing results, scroll down the review.

• LED: CREE XP-G R5 LED
  • 2 Light Modes:1.5lm(60 hours)-70lm(1 hour)
  • Max Range: 47m
  • Battery: 1*AAA battery
  • Operating Voltage: 0.9~1.5V
  • Constant current circuit, constant luminance
  • Tailcap Lock-out Switch
  • Mini size
  • Note: Without reverse polarity protection
  • Function: The flashlight has 2 light modes. Press the switch to activate the flashlight in "low" mode when it is off, and then turn it off and on again within 3 seconds to activate it in "high" mode. At any brightness level, if you turn it off for more than 3 seconds and then turn it on again, the light mode will reset to "low" mode.
  • Material: Aircraft-grade Aluminium alloy
  • Surface Treatment Process: Hard anodization
  • Waterproof: IPX-8
  • Length: 3.16"
  • Body Diameter: 0.56"
  • Weight: 0.53oz (without battery)
  • MSRP: ~$18
Tool016.jpg

Packaging is very similar to the Lumintop Worm. Inside the plastic clamshell case with magnetic closing clasp is the light and extra o-rings. A removable pocket clip is attached to the light. The cardboard sleeve contains printed specs, with the manual on the back.

Tool035.jpg

Tool027.jpg

From left to right: Duracell NiMH AAA; Lumintop Tool AA, Worm (Aluminium); Lumapower Avenger GX; Tiablo E3A; Foursevens Preon 1; ITP i3; Klarus Mi-X6; Thrunite Ti; Titanium Innovations Illuminati (Aluminium); Maratac AAA.

Lumintop Tool AAA: Weight: 15.3g, Length 82.6mm, Width 14.4mm (bezel)
Lumintop Worm Aluminium: Weight: 14.3g, Length 72.0mm (battery installed, off), Width 14.1mm (bezel)
Lumintop Worm Stainless: Weight: 27.3g, Length 72.0mm (battery installed, off), Width 14.1mm (bezel)
Foursevens Preon 1: Weight 15.3g (with keychain clip), Length 75.6mm, Width 14.0mm (bezel)
Foursevens Preon P0: Weight 13.0g (with keychain clip), Length 55.0mm, Width 12.6mm (bezel)
Olight i3: Weight 13.2g, Length: 71.9mm, Width (bezel): 14.0mm
Illuminati Aluminium: Weight 13.9g (with keychain clip), Length 68.8mm, Width 14.0mm (bezel)
Klarus Mi X6: Weight 16.2g, Length 72.9mm (battery installed), Width 12.8mm

Light is a bit taller than some, due to the clicky switch.

Tool017.jpg

Tool018.jpg

Tool021.jpg

Tool022.jpg

Tool023.jpg

The aluminum body is anodized black, in a moderately glossy finish. The light has aggressive knurling over the tailcap, body tube and head. Frankly, this is one of the most grippy 1xAAA lights I've ever handled – right up there with the Maratac 1xAAA and Thrunite Ti. :thumbsup:

Labels are fairly clear, but in a soft white (i.e. not as high contrast as some lights).

One interesting tid-bit: you'll note the circuit board in the head is actually labelled "worm". This leads me to suspect they are using the same circuit … :whistle:

Screw threads are standard triangular cut (fine, as with all 1xAAA lights), and anodized at both ends. This means head/tail lock-out is possible. :)

Tailstanding is not possible on the Tool AAA, due to the raised clicky switch (reverse clicky, as on most small pocket lights).

Tool025.jpg

Tool033.jpg

The Tool seems to come with the same a lightly textured reflector (OP) as the Worm. The Tool AAA uses a XP-G R5, like the Worm SS model (the aluminum Worm used a XP-E emitter). Centering of the emitter was pretty good on my sample, but I would expect some variability (as there is no centering disc obvious).

User Interface

User interface is the same the Worm, but with a clicky switch instead of a head twist. In this case, turn on the Tool AAA by clicking (press-release) the tail switch.

Light comes on in Lo output to start. To select Hi, click the switch off-on again within 1 second. This will advance to the next level in the following repeating sequence: Lo > Hi > Lo > Hi, etc.

There is no memory mode, and the light will always come on in Lo after a pause.

Because the head and tailcap threads are anodized, you can also use the light like a twisty. With the tailcap switch in the On position, you change turn the light off by loosening the head or tailcap, and change modes by doing a loosen-tighten twist of the head or tailcap. :thumbsup:

Video Overview

For more information on the light, including the build and user interface, please see my new video overview:

As always, videos were recorded in 720p, but YouTube typically defaults to 360p. Once the video is running, you can click on the configuration settings icon and select the higher 480p to 720p options. You can also run full-screen. :)

PWM/Strobe

As with the Worm, there is no sign of PWM on the Lo mode of the Tool AAA. :) It thus seems to use current-control for its low mode.

There is no strobe feature.

Beamshots:

All lights are on 1xAAA Sanyo Eneloop NiMH, about ~0.75 meter from a white wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). Automatic white balance on the camera, to minimize tint differences. All beamshots taken immediately upon activation.

Note: the "Worm" below is the XP-E-based aluminium version.

Tool-Beam001.jpg
Worm-Beam001.jpg

X6-Beam001.jpg
i3-Beam001.jpg

Tool-Beam002.jpg
Worm-Beam002.jpg

X6-Beam002.jpg
i3-Beam002.jpg

Tool-Beam003.jpg
Worm-Beam003.jpg

X6-Beam003.jpg
i3-Beam003.jpg

The beam is about typical for a XP-G-based 1xAAA light. I find most such lights to have fairly diffused beams, with broad hotspots. The XP-E-based Worm had a slightly more defined hotspot than the XP-G-based lights.

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lightbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

My summary tables are reported in a manner consistent with the ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/FL1.htm for a discussion, and a description of all the terms used in these tables. Effective July 2012, I have updated all my Peak Intensity/Beam Distance measures with a NIST-certified Extech EA31 lightmeter (orange highlights).

Tool-FL1-Summary.gif

No big surprises here in terms of output or throw on Hi – the Tool AAA is pretty much in keeping with other XP-G based lights.

One difference from the Worm – the Lo mode on the Tool AAA is really Lo now (i.e., the Worm's Lo was really closer to many three-level lights' Med mode).

Output/Runtime Comparison:

Tool-HiEne.gif

Tool-HiAlka.gif

Tool-HiL92.gif

As with the Worm, the two-level Tool shows excellent regulation and runtime on Hi. In fact, regulation on Hi remains among the best I've seen in this class, including on standard alkalines. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I haven't done runtimes on Lo, as I expect these would be quite lengthy given the ~1 lumen level. Note that this is lower than the original Worm model (which was closer to a typical "Med" level on Lo).

Potential Issues

Light is two-mode only (i.e., Tool AAA lacks a typical Med mode of three-stage lights).

Knurling is fairly aggressive, and could be rough on clothing in a pocket when on a keychain (note no keychain split ring is included).

The pocket clip is pretty basic, but it does the job (very similar to the original Maratac clip).

Preliminary Observations

The Tool AAA is a nice update to Lumintop 1xAAA line. I was a fan of the Worm for its excellent regulation, good runtimes and ease of use. The Tool AAA carries on in that tradition, and addresses some of the limitations of the Worm (i.e., lack of knurling or pocket clip).

One change is the lower Lo mode on the Tool AAA. In contrast, the original Worm lacked a true Lo mode (i.e., it's low mode was more in keeping with a typical Med level on three-level lights). But given that my Tool AAA sample actually had "worm" labelled on the circuit board in the head, I suspect that the currently shipping Worms use the same revised circuit. :rolleyes:

This brings up one of the main differences to most other lights in this category – they are often three-stage (i.e., Lo, Med and Hi). Of course, that means that consideration of those lights often starts with the inevitable discussion of the best mode sequence. Thanks to the simple two-stage mechanism here – with Lo coming on by default – things are much simpler.

Of course, the main difference of the Tool AAA from the Worm is the addition of the clicky switch. There aren't many 1xAAA clicky lights out there, so it's nice to see another option. The switch performed well in my testing (with fairly typical feel for this class). And because of the anodized threads, you can still use this light like a twisty at both the head or tail. :thumbsup:

Build and beam pattern are good, no significant issues. One comment here – I was glad that Lumintop ran an early engineering sample by me first. That early version had contact issues with NiMH batteries that I brought to their attention. The shipping version reviewed here worked equally well on all batteries I threw at it. :)

And just like the Worm, the current-controlled circuit performance is excellent – with very flat regulation on Hi. :twothumbs A nice little bump in output over the earlier Worm samples too.

All-in-all, a very nice option for a tiny, simple, two-stage 1xAAA clicky light.

----

Lumintop Tool AAA provided by Lumintop for review.

mayo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review, I do appreciate all your hard work. Many thanks.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks guys, appreciate the support. :grouphug:

I know Lumintop doesn't gather a lot of interest here, likely because they don't seem to have a lot of dealer relationships in North America and Europe. :shrug: But the lights continue to be of decent quality for their respective classes. I'm particularly impressed with the regulated current-controlled circuitry on the Tool/Worm AAA lights.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
For such low output, these AAA lights should utilize the xp-e2. At least they'd have lux...
The regulation is interesting, at room temperature.

vēer

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, thanks!

This light looks rather interesting, especially with its clicky, even tho that makes it slightly larger than its twisty counterparts.
However, Im wondering why no updated emitters? XPG2, XPE2?
Having older and somewhat less efficient(???) LED puts me off buying these lights :D!

JDest

Newly Enlightened
vēer;4113733 said:
Nice review, thanks!

This light looks rather interesting, especially with its clicky, even tho that makes it slightly larger than its twisty counterparts.
However, Im wondering why no updated emitters? XPG2, XPE2?
Having older and somewhat less efficient(???) LED puts me off buying these lights :D!

I imagine that is related to keeping the cost/sale price down. It's hard to expect the latest emitters in an $18 light. Completely understand if you don't want one, but to me it looks like you'd be hard pressed to find more in a AAA light that costs ~$20. Dead flat regulation at 80 lumens and pretty solid brightness and runtime on high. Plus a true low that should keep those that really appreciate that sort of thing satisfied. (And probably come in really handy eventually.) This light is definitely a winner.

vēer

Newly Enlightened
I agree completely that this light looks like a winner, Im not in a rush, so Ill wait for XPG2/XPE2 in AA/AAA sized lights, I still have plenty of XPG powered Ti's that Im perfectly happy with :)

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review as always. It always amazes me that you don't have a Fenix LD01 for comparison. Neither do I actually because there isn't a review from you :).

With the lack of a centering ring, could this be modded perhaps with a LED on a 10mm board? It looks like the pill can be unscrewed with a pair of tweezers as there seems to be a little gap on the board?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Great review as always. It always amazes me that you don't have a Fenix LD01 for comparison. Neither do I actually because there isn't a review from you :).
Yes, never quite got around to that one. Many years ago, I used to carry the predecessor versions on my keychain (i.e., the L0P, followed by the L0D). Certainly gifted a lot of those in the early days as well - typically well-made lights. But never got around to picking up a LD01, likely because I already had so many similar XP-E/XP-G lights sent to me for review. :shrug:

With the lack of a centering ring, could this be modded perhaps with a LED on a 10mm board? It looks like the pill can be unscrewed with a pair of tweezers as there seems to be a little gap on the board?
Yes, the head/pill easily unscrews with a pair of tweezers (at least on my sample). I'm sure you could mod the assembly rather easily.

tubed

Enlightened
Thanks for another great review.
I'm facinated by the ability to use EITHER twist or click to change modes. In general, I'm not a fan of twisting to change modes, one reason being I found if I hand it to someone like my wife or kids, they have no idea how to change modes. But, I found that on lights this small, twist is more ergonomic based on the way you hold a light this small within your hand and clickys are actually hard to use. I noticed you had to use your index finger and change your grip to change modes.
This light does both - amazing.
Seems like they should advertise this fact.
*Another reason why these/your reviews are so helpful!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Wow, that regulation on high is top notch!
Yes, it is quite impressive.

But, I found that on lights this small, twist is more ergonomic based on the way you hold a light this small within your hand and clickys are actually hard to use. I noticed you had to use your index finger and change your grip to change modes.
That's a good point, but you don't actually have to change hand-grip to switch between clicky and twisty (I was just demonstrating for the camera without trying to have my hands in the way too much). :)

In the overhand "tactical" grip (i.e.,light wrapped in hand, with thumb on the clicky), you can easily switch modes by twisting the tailcap with your index finger and thumb without changing grip.

In classic underhand grip (i.e., pointing light away from you, with thumb in index on the head), you can easily switch modes by the head twist without changing grip.

It is quite versatile, as you say.

tubed

Enlightened
thanks
Now, my next question (which you may not be able to answer) is ...where do you buy them? A google search and their own website revealed no retail sellers.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Now, my next question (which you may not be able to answer) is ...where do you buy them? A google search and their own website revealed no retail sellers.
Always a good question. I would suggest you contact Lumintop directly and ask. It's a new model, so it may not have been distributed too widely yet.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the head/pill easily unscrews with a pair of tweezers (at least on my sample). I'm sure you could mod the assembly rather easily.

That's good to hear. I can imagine that will be popular for people wanting to mod with a 219 or XPG2.

I'd be looking to try and mod the clicker with something flatter for tail standing myself.

Zman

Enlightened
Selfbuilt,
Thanks for the review. I bought one and received it today. I've carried a leatherman Serac S2 for the longest time, and this is a fantastic replacement. Lower low, higher high, extended runtime for both levels.
One very nice 'hidden' feature I discovered on the lumintop. If you carefully 'half press' the switch while its on, you can toggle between modes. This is exactly the interface of the S2. Overall a nice little light!

ico

Enlightened
Where did you bought yours?

All lights with reverse clickies operate like that Zman. So there are many more lights for you to try now:) haha

Zman

Enlightened
Hi ico,
I bought mine on ebay. It seems the seller sold out and has not yet restocked.

p.s. I only have a few reverse clickie lights. The trick didn't work on them all, but thanks for the tip. :)