How to stop whine from flashlight?

JBS

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix headband and I got a couple of Sipik SK68 clones to use with it. However when the flashlights are on the low setting, there is a noticeable high-pitched whine coming from them. It doesn't bother me when I'm holding the flashlights in my hand, but when they are attached to the headband and right next to my ears, it becomes very bad. I even get ringing in my ears after removing the headband, because of the noise from the flashlights. Is there any way to stop this noise, or modify the flashlights somehow to stop it? thanks

Flashlight: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110880126428?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
It's part of the light and there isn't much you can do. Type "inductor whine" in the search bar.

tam17

Enlightened
My LD01 R2 had a mosquito-like whine, no big deal but still audible in a very quiet environment. I gave it away, soon replaced it with R4 version (no whine whatsoever). I had an idea of an experiment - attaching a small rare earth magnet somewhere near the driver in attempt to reduce whine - but never conducted it. Probably wouldn't help anyway.

Cheers

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It varies with individual samples. You could buy ten lights and have some whine, others silent. Put a powerful magnet near the head to see if it stops.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The simple answer is that there isn't much you can typically do. However, if you can access the circuit, and are willing to void any warranty, there are some old tricks people have used to try and physically dampen inductor whine. I discuss these in the later part of one of my video primers:

Scroll to the 12:30 mark of the video to hear an explanation and discusison of options. I don't actually recommend you try any of these, but it will give you the idea as to what the problem is, and how people have approached it.