Anyone know whether the Fenix LD01 has Polarity Protection?

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
Looking at the user manuals, the E01 specifically lists "Reverse Polarity Protection" under its technical parameters.

The LD01 user manual, however, makes no mention of it. Does that mean that the LD01 is not protected?

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
Thought I might as well ask the same question for the iTP A3 EOS Upgrade Edition, too.

No mention of Reverse Polarity Protection (nor the dangers of reversing the battery) anywhere in its Operator's Manual.

For that matter, there is no picture or diagram of correct battery installation anywhere on the packaging nor in the Operator's Manual that I received with my light. I guess they assume that you already know which way to install the battery, but this could be bad when gifting lights (if indeed it has no polarity protection and would be instantly damaged by reverse battery installation).

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
In LD01 the contacts in the back of the head are flat and consequently there is no protection against reverse polarity:

2dahilw.jpg

I can't say about iTP

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a feeling that boosted circuit lights don't often need reverse polarity protection. The only lights I remember seeing them in are lithium ion based lights.

keeperofdakeys

Newly Enlightened
There are two types of reverse polarity protection, physical and electronic. Physical reverse polarity protection uses tabs on the positive contact to prevent flat-surfaces from touching the terminal (so you require button-top cells). I haven't read too much about electronic reverse polarity protection, but I assume it simply stops a reversed cell from damanged the light via electronics. If your manual specifically lists the feature, and it has a normal contact, I would guess it has the electronic method. I'd do some searching of cpf to confirm though.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two types of reverse polarity protection, physical and electronic. Physical reverse polarity protection uses tabs on the positive contact to prevent flat-surfaces from touching the terminal (so you require button-top cells). I haven't read too much about electronic reverse polarity protection, but I assume it simply stops a reversed cell from damanged the light via electronics. If your manual specifically lists the feature, and it has a normal contact, I would guess it has the electronic method. I'd do some searching of cpf to confirm though.

What you say is totally right but in this case the manual does not mention the reverse polarity protection.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LD01 R4 has some kind of raised plus-pole on the back on the head and the Fenix webpage states "reverse polarity protection". However i cannot grasp how this system works.

It doesnt.

So no, the LD01 R4 does *not* have any effective physical means of reverse polarity protection.