Klarus RS80

kj2

Flashaholic
9modes, wauw! :) like the light, don't like that it runs on a battery-pack. Because, what if you need a new one.. where can you get one.

kd8pl4.jpg
2wpmj9h.jpg

dwcbjt.jpg
f0qka9.jpg

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
I've made several posts recently alluding to how quickly Far Eastern flashlight manufacturers are pushing the boundaries of flashlight design and before those posts are not even a few day old when along comes Klarus with another brilliant concept. I am incredibly impressed with the format of the RS80 and the carry style of this light. I am, initially at least, less impressed by having to buy a separate battery pack when the original is dead or broken. However, given to the potential advantages of having another battery pack charged and ready to go by a quick change system such as this and I'm considering more of the pros rather than cons.

I personally can't wait until the first reviews for this light. Well done to Klarus for starting 2013 off to a great start!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I don't know that this unique body style has any future, but they are at least trying something new, putting something out there. What would be cool is if each of the heads were slightly divergent from one another - one a couple of degrees to the right, one centered, one a couple degrees to the left..

Norm

Retired Administrator
The shape would lend itself to using prismatic lipo packs.

Norm

Just chased up the battery specs.

Battery Specification:

18650 BA60 Li-Ion Battery pack
Battery cells: 18650 BA60 Li-ion Battery×6
Standard voltage: 7.4V
Standard capacity: 6600mAh
Charging voltage: 8.4V
Charger mode: Constant Potential/ Constant Current
Charger time: 6600mAh/3000mA (3A charger) +1 hrs=3.2hrs
Weight: 280g
Dimensions: 60*38*79mm
Cycle life: 200 times

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shape would lend itself to using prismatic lipo packs.

Norm

Just chased up the battery specs.

Battery Specification:

18650 BA60 Li-Ion Battery pack
Battery cells: 18650 BA60 Li-ion Battery×6
Standard voltage: 7.4V
Standard capacity: 6600mAh
Charging voltage: 8.4V
Charger mode: Constant Potential/ Constant Current
Charger time: 6600mAh/3000mA (3A charger) +1 hrs=3.2hrs
Weight: 280g
Dimensions: 60*38*79mm
Cycle life: 200 times

So that's 2S3P.

I wonder if an equivalent LiPo pack could match the capacity and form factor...

Very cool!

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks cool, but I do not see an advantage of this over lights like the Fenix TK70, TK75, etc, for example. According to Klarus, the battery pack itself sells for $60.00. Not sure how much the light would be, but it looks expensive! Runtime is not impressive taking into consideration the huge battery pack, some of the brightness modes are too close together and could be eliminated, and the battery apparently will not last very long until you have to buy another.

dougie

Enlightened
Where did you get the information about the battery pack only being able to be recharged 200 times? That does seem a really low number of charges. :(

The shape as far as I'm concerned is ideal for storage and for carrying. In addition I think the ability to have the thumb over the button on the handle is ideal for a search light. Until someone has had a chance to review this light I'll take all the manufacturers figures with a healthy dose of scepticism :) . However, I'm really looking forward to seeing some reviews of this light before deciding if it's for me!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
200 Cycles is too low. If a decent protected 3400 mah 18650 is ~ $20, and say 3 of them would be able to exceed the capacity the pack seems to provide...$60 for a pack would not be that out of line....but not at 200 cycles, when the 18650's are good for more like 500+ cycles.

firelord777

Enlightened
Seems cool, but 800 meters throw? I think they're trying to trick us, the SR95 has that kind of throw, not 3 xmls in small reflectors.

Sadly, it's already getting negative feed back here at CPF, maybe if Selfbuilt reviews it or something...

Cheers

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
200 Cycles is too low. If a decent protected 3400 mah 18650 is ~ $20, and say 3 of them would be able to exceed the capacity the pack seems to provide...$60 for a pack would not be that out of line....but not at 200 cycles, when the 18650's are good for more like 500+ cycles.

Slightly swerving off topic... but can someone here point out or link general info (or just explain if you are knowledgeable) about modern 18650's. I know some are better than others, but in general do they all have around the same lifespan in cycles? I just started using 18650's in my new Fenix E50. The ones I got are the Fenix branded 18650's.

Also I don't use my lights THAT much so that I will probably be able to just use this one set of 18650's I have for years perfectly, but do you begin to notice significant changes when the 18650's are "dying" --- Do they suddenly stop working or more just lose the ability to retain a charge? Thanks.

--> On this Klarus RS80: I think it looks like an amazing design. For extended outdoor searching it looks amazing. Only having to use finger retention/grip vs. having to use your arms to hold up a light for a long time is a great idea. Not sure how I feel about the battery pack. I agree that it could be implemented well or perhaps could be better with "slots" for maybe 3-4 18650's.

firelord777

Enlightened
I'm not by all means an expert, but I believe 200 is absurdly low. Normal AA NIMH batteries can hold I believe 500 cycles, and so can normal 18650s:)

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The height of this light when it is standing upright as in the photo above would surely make it liable to fall over quite easily unless the weight of the Klarus RS80 keeps it upright.

Even if the base had a lot of weight in due to the location of the battery pack I still think that the ratio of height to base would make using this light a problem when it was placed on it's base as in the photo above.

The quad-LED lights like the Niteye EYE 40 would be much more stable than this design IMHO.

CHEERS

Pöbel

Enlightened
Thats true, but it surely won't roll away :D
There is also the possibily to just start with the light lying on it's side.

Latest posts