Young woman steals and derails train, crashes into house.

Swede74

Enlightened
Here's something you don't see every day. I should mention that the police has not yet officially confirmed that the suspect is a woman in her early twenties, but it seems she was the only person on board.

Whoever is responsible, I thinks it's safe to assume that it will be a while before her / his next career advancement.

http://www.thelocal.se/45616/20130115/

473420130.jpg

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reminds me of a line from An American Carol where the terrorists actually consider crashing a subway into a building. Hard to believe someone actually pulled something like that off. I wonder if they have collision insurance on that house?:grin2:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the snow coming down...it looks so beautiful. I'd love to sit by a window under a blanket and just watch that stuff dump.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Bah! Women drivers . . .

(Just kidding.)

No one was hurt. That's the main thing.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
There should be some sort of a building/zoning code that forbids buildings from being erected at the end of the railway, In the event of a runaway engine, its going to go exactly like this...*wump*

I agree 100%. However I'm also puzzled why there (apparently) wasn't some sort of a bumper at the end of the tracks. I've seen these at the ends of transit lines.

**Edit**
After reading the story again, it looks like one of those buffer stops wouldn't have worked in this situation because the train was going way too fast and jumped the tracks.

Last edited:

Swede74

Enlightened
An update:

The woman who was on the train, the "cleaning lady", is no longer a suspect. It seems she is rather a victim. From what I have read in Swedish online newspapers, safety regulations had been breached at her workplace, likely by co-workers licensed to operate the train. Apparently it is supposed to be next to impossible to steal a train - for instance the engineers have personal keys (yes, keys) and I'm sure there are other measures to prevent inadvertent activation of the train (like tailcap lockout in our world) but a safety device impervious to stupidity is yet to be invented.

Sadly, the woman is seriously injured, but luckily, no one was killed.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if drinking was involved with driving this train. If you drink and drive, you shouldn't be allowed to drive for awhile. If you drink and drive a train and crash, you should be banned from driving and taking any form of public transportation for life.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
"She has since been ordered detained on suspicion of public devastation"

catchy phrase

The train crashed into a house. That definitely qualifies as more "private devastation" than public.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's amazing that the whole thing didn't burst into flames. The train could have easily severed a gas line in the house. Overall they were lucky that it wasn't far worse.

Swede74

Enlightened
"She has since been ordered detained on suspicion of public devastation"

catchy phrase

The Swedish term is "allmänfarlig vårdslöshet",

allmän - public
farlig - dangerous
ödeläggelse -devastation

The way I understand it, you can be charged with "allmänfarlig ödeläggesle" if you endanger members of the public either while you are destroying something, or if you destroy something that is important for the safety of the public.

I guess "reckless driving" seemed like too mild a charge in this case...

I should probably mention again that the cleaner is no longer a suspect.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/18/us-sweden-train-idUSBRE90E0IN20130118

Latest posts