Did Zebralight post future products to get an edge ?

marcis

Newly Enlightened
Is it just me, or is it weird that Zebra posted the Q50, specs and all. Then nitecore releases the EA4, and now zebralight removes all future products off the product sheet. I also see it possible that they removed the future products because people keep bugging about them.... just I think it's interesting that zebralight removed the Q50, right as the EA4 is released.

LowFlux

Enlightened
What edge would they get? Vaporware doesn't bring in any profits.

Samy

Enlightened
It's excellent market research to see how people react to a future product without having to advertise or build it.

stp

Newly Enlightened
It's excellent market research to see how people react to a future product without having to advertise or build it.

Yes but its market research that is accessible to competition as well so it doesn't give you an edge over them. Not much sense in that especially that you have to make your idea public.

My guess is that they had some problem with Q50, there could have been some technical problems with project for example waterproofing the battery door because it was new for them and if you check the ZL spreadsheet you will see that they will soon release the more traditional 3AA version. Or it could be the lack of money/resources to release this light between the others more important to them. Or they found that the light is good but not to many people will buy it for the price they wanted.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the OP means trying to get buyers to hold out for their new soon to be released version instead of buying what's available now from competitors. For that to work they'd need to immediately announce yet another improved version that's worth waiting for, and you do eventually have to release something for it to ultimately work (otherwise you're just cogblocking for no good reason).

I see people post decision trees according to what's coming out when, passing up other models released throughout the year waiting on for instance a SF that never happens etc. Just can't assume that's why. Plans could change for a number of reasons.

marcis

Newly Enlightened
no no, I mean that they released q50 specs with a high of 800. then the competition released the ea4 with slightly better specs 860. Now example, Zebralight will then release one with 1000 lumens or somethng...again outdoing the competition, and setting the bar very high. That is more along what I meant.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
no no, I mean that they released q50 specs with a high of 800. then the competition released the ea4 with slightly better specs 860. Now Zebralight will release one with 1000 lumens or somethng...again outdoing the competition, and setting the bar very high. That is more along what I meant.

Oh, sorry. Yeah, that's good. Now just git-r-dun.

tonkem

Enlightened
For them, after speaking with them, it was the great selling SC600 that kept them from releasing the Q50, and while I was speaking to them, they mentioned the S6330 would come out first, but was not even on the future products list yet :) All in sales... Although, they did mention q50 would be released after the S6330, so things must have changed :)

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although, they did mention q50 would be released after the S6330, so things must have changed :)

they really dont or cant produce and release different models at the same time unlike Nitecore or Eagletac both of which were rather prolific in the past months.
one little model variation after the other is leaving the production line. No parallel productions!
Oct: SC52 - Jan: S6330 - Feb: SC600 MkII - Mar: SC52w - ..etc

And they've been realizing that handheld flashlights are much more demanded than headlamps. Just look at all the dealers and their sales programs what they carry in stock from the ZL catalog. High availability of ZL headlamps (shelf dust collectors!) and no stock on SC52, SC600 Mk1, Mk2. Not even SC51.

Btw, when do we get throwy ZL lights? ;)

moozooh posted a great overview of the situation.

drew78

Newly Enlightened
they really dont or cant produce and release different models at the same time unlike Nitecore or Eagletac both of which were rather prolific in the past months.
one little model variation after the other is leaving the production line. No parallel productions!

And they've been realizing that handheld flashlights are much more demanded than headlamps. Just look at all the dealers and their sales programs what they carry in stock from the ZL catalog. High availability of ZL headlamps (shelf dust collectors!) and no stock on SC52, SC600 Mk1, Mk2. Not even SC51.

I too would like to see some more "throwy" lights in the same form factor as the SC series... :)

bansuri

Enlightened
High availability of ZL headlamps (shelf dust collectors!)
That's easy to say from the safety of the Flashlight Forum, a statement like that would not sit well on the Headlamps Forum! :whoopin:

And they've been realizing that handheld flashlights are much more demanded than headlamps.
Zebralight was founded on headlamps, the H30 and then the H50. They were a company for a couple years making headlamps before introducing hand-held lights. I am fairly confident that they have known that flashlights will outsell headlamps since they started, yet they chose to innovate in a market that didn't have huge potential, largely due to consumer ignorance or vanity. If someone doesn't "like" headlamps it's only because they haven't used one while working on something.

Wait a minute, did you say that for lulz? If so, then I applaud you.
1piezk.jpg

Back on topic: As much as I love the company, their release cycle can get frustrating, especially when they leak info. More than a few of us were waiting for the Q50 which may come out sometime in 2013... who knows? I hope that they didn't pull it just because a similar light had higher output. Also, the staggered release of Cool lights, then other tints months later is awful! Supply issue, but still frustrating.
None of this is enough to drive me away as I've had great service from all of the ZL headlamps and flashlights I've owned. Will wait patiently for the SC52d.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why tell your competition about your future good ideas, so that they can steal them out from underneath you by releasing a similar product before you even get to release the product you pre-advertised in the first place? You're better off not telling anyone all the details about upcoming products, but you could whet your customers' appetites by letting them know you will be releasing something revolutionary in the future, and leave it at that except for minor details.

Lightman2

Enlightened
EXACTLY.....Zebra throwers forget the floodies we have way to many of them. Give me a SC51 (my EDC light) and put. A smaller led or enlarge the reflector or even make a deeper reflector catch and throw a tighter beam that reaches out and I will be in like Flynn.

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Why tell your competition about your future good ideas, so that they can steal them out from underneath you by releasing a similar product before you even get to release the product you pre-advertised in the first place? You're better off not telling anyone all the details about upcoming products, but you could whet your customers' appetites by letting them know you will be releasing something revolutionary in the future, and leave it at that except for minor details.
It would have been fine if they had released it when they originally said they would. For the Q50 they could have cut down some SC600 production to get small numbers of the former out but they wanted to milk the latter for all of its worth. I'm not going to weep over the competition "stealing" their idea of a stout 4AA light when ZL have had almost 1.5 years to back up their talk. As it stands, it's 16 months and counting and it is still vaporware.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
EXACTLY.....Zebra throwers forget the floodies we have way to many of them.
I think you have it exactly backwards. Zebra has quickly sold out of each new "floody", and every other manufacturer out there is currently too vested in throwers. After speaking with ZL a while back, I got the impression that throwers are not on the menu. That make me happy!

As far as vaporware...well ZL is setting up manufacturing in Texas, there is quite a push for the MKll, and neutral versions of the sc52, the s6330, and a neutral version of the MKll. There are still updates scheduled for the sc32 and others.They have also been extremely busy keeping up with market demand since the latter part of 2011.

It may be entertaining to try and sniff out evidence of underhanded marketing, but it is far more likely that their dance card is full.

Lightman2

Enlightened
As somewhat of a Zebra fan it would be nice for them to do a few throwers for the fans so we throw freaks can have all those great features Zebra offers but in a thrower. (For me preferably a 1 x AA thrower).

I think you have it exactly backwards. Zebra has quickly sold out of each new "floody", and every other manufacturer out there is currently too vested in throwers. After speaking with ZL a while back, I got the impression that throwers are not on the menu. That make me happy!

As far as vaporware...well ZL is setting up manufacturing in Texas, there is quite a push for the MKll, and neutral versions of the sc52, the s6330, and a neutral version of the MKll. There are still updates scheduled for the sc32 and others.They have also been extremely busy keeping up with market demand since the latter part of 2011.

It may be entertaining to try and sniff out evidence of underhanded marketing, but it is far more likely that their dance card is full.