Cree XP-E2 flashlights

Curias

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried a light with one of these emitters?

If so, how do they compare with XP-E's and XP-G2's in terms of throw and beam quality.

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
Re: Cree XP-E2 flishlights

I don't know how you guys keep up with all the Cree led's and I work there every day.

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

tam17

Enlightened

Fenix recently upgraded its XP-E's from R2 to R4 bin in their E15 flashlight (1xCR123), with some 30lm gain. I'm pretty sure that they won't be the first to introduce brand new XP-E2 in their product line...

Cheers

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

The xp-e2 is probably going to be rare. The xp-g2 & xp-e2 received a new, larger, dome that reduces the apparent die size, increasing throw.
The xp-g2 has 10% more output relative to the xp-g, and 10% more relative throw, for 20+% more lux versus 'old' xp-g based lights.
With the xm-l & xm-l2 covering big lumen numbers-but low lux, the xp-g2 should be the other side of the coin.

That leaves the xp-e2 for AAA sized lights...

I did ask at Eagletac if they would make a T100C2 with the xp-e2. I'd like 20,000 lux for 45 bucks.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The xp-e2 is good for more than just aaa lights.
More throw for less current compared with a xm-l2 and xp-g2. So if you need a light that is small, throws like a champ, and dont want to screw up the runtimes. The xp-e2 is hard to beat.

Cant wait to see some small xp-e2 throwers.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Fenix E25 is using the XP-E R4, which is the XP-E2. Much better runtime on max.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened

I want to know, too. With emitters getting bigger and bigger the XP-E footprint is needed to get decent throw from a small (AA, AAA) light. I like small lights, but not real floody small lights.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

i did some messing around with the XP-G2 versus the XP-E2 as upgrades in a LF2XT light. What I found is that the xpe2 does have a smaller spot than the xpg2, but the xpg2 is significantly brighter than the xpe2. The end result was that the spot of the xpe2 was only the tiniest (barely noticable) bit brighter than the xpg2 spot. The overall lumen output led me to prefer the xpg2.

I am sure other lights with different reflector designs will provide varying results.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 'problem' is that the xp-g2 is rated to 1.5 amp and has a thermal resistance of 4 degrees [Celsius] per watt, and the xp-e2 is only rated to 1 amp and has a resistance of 9 degree per watt.
The other problem is that less savvy purchasers only look at lumens, and not lux. Which is only exasperated by the ANSI NEMA FL 1 rating system, which can be gamed.

oh, and the Vf is about 0.2 higher, which works against boost driver efficiency.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good points MichaelW. I agree on the current and thermal limits of the XP-E2.
I don't think most purchases would understand how lux translates into throw be able to correlate that with experience unless they are flashlight nuts like us who buy 20 flashlights just to pick the best 1.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The xp-e2 seems to do it's job, even when driven really hard (2,27 amps).
Judging from the pictures in the vinhnguyen 54 ultimate p60 reflector thrower sales thread. :devil:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having Vinh mod an old mini123 of mine with a neutral XP-E2.

Perfect as a spotting light to supplement a floody headlamp when night hiking.