Help with my next purchase...

HesNot

Enlightened
OK - I currently have a couple 3D M@Gs, 1 2D M@G, 3 2AA M@G, and 2 2AAA M@G. Also a Hubbellite (Pelican Super Sabrelight) 3c. I now have an ARC LSH-P, an ARC AAA cpf, an ARC AAA (red) and a CMG Infinity Ultra.

I'm now considering the following ($30 budget):

Opalec Newbeam mod for one of the M@G 2AA - I haven't modded anything yet and this seems like a good way to have a really reliable, long runtime light that puts some of my M@Gs back into action. However, I've got two white LED task lights with relatively long runtimes in the ARC and Infinity Ultra - would this add that much?

Pelican M6 - just because I'd like to try a better incandescent with some serious throw since the Mags are a lot less appealing to me now and the Pelican seems like the most bang for the buck. I like the aluminum case (as opposed to a G2 for instance) and the relatively inexpensive bulbs/maintenance.

Any thoughts?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see you already have an Arc LS. How about a SL 3 AA LS. That you could use all the time with little thought to expensive batts. I use mine all the time...cheap AA`s. Nice bright beam. Around $30 bucks.

HesNot

Enlightened
The SL 3AA Luxeon seems interesting and along with the TT isn't something I'd considered. I like the cheap battery angle, have you tried to run it on NiMH rechargeables? How is the throw? I am definitely looking for something with some spot capability to augment my LSH.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your on the right track, you need some serious high intensity incandescent light. But I don't you can get something decent for $30. Why waste your money, save and wait until you can get your first Surefire. You've obviously moving well into the Flashaholic ranks.

Check my thread a few days back, Must have Flashlights, questions like your are exactly why I started it.

GregR

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, to me the SL 3AAA LS is a "best buy". Check out some of the reveiws. To me the throw is just fine. Better than I expected. I have never tried rechargables in it...I assume they would work just fine...a little dimmer probaly...longer run time...maybe...probably.

The SL twin task 3AAA is nice to...no doubt...I love that one too. But if I had to chose only one between the two...the SL LS would be my my pick every time.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
the opalec is a sweet little light, but it could be redundant. i still highly recommend it.

you stated "The SL 3AA Luxeon seems interesting and along with the TT isn't something I'd considered. I like the cheap battery angle, have you tried to run it on NiMH rechargeables? How is the throw? I am definitely looking for something with some spot capability to augment my LSH.".

for a good long-throw compliment to the ARC LS, you could get the streamlight TL-2. it really throws well, and still has good bat life. if your Arc LS uses 123's, then the TL2 will share those bats. cost is higher than you want: ~$60.

the 3aa luxeon would be less expensive, and i think will throw better than the ARC. inexpensive aa bats, ? ability to use rechargeables.

im sure the pelican m6 would be a nice addition as well, but i personally dont like such short-running lights.

good luck!

Bob

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
I'd vote for the Pelican M6 via BatteryStation.com's CPF deal ($30). It's got great throw, built pretty well, and comes with a holster. Focusable beam, and did I mention throw? Very nice light for $30. I'm gonna do some for Christmas presents I think...and while you're getting that, pick up some of his $1 CR123s too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
HesNot
You might want to mod your 3D Mag by using three 3toDs and a KPR118 bulb from Radio Shack. The 3toDs weren't moded and I ran 9 alkaline AAs. Another very worthwhile accessory is a Acrylite lens.
3toDs (times two)=$15.96
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi
KPR118 $1.29
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=272-1164
Acrylite lens $4.00 + $2.00 shipping
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=317597&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
I have also done 2D Mags with two 3toDs. For these I used 6AA alkaline and 6 volt Halogen & PR13 bulbs. This is bright, but not near as bright as the 3D with three 3toDs.
More on 3D Mags http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=366774&page=12&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
You might want to get a AA tailpack for your ARC LSH-P.