[Beamshot] Defective LED? Fenix LD12 R5

ObserverJLin

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I received my Fenix LD12 R5 today and tested it out.
I suspect I have a defect LED because there are artifacts around outside edge of the brightest center beam plus there is a faint black dot at the very center of the brightest beam too.
This was very easy to spot with a naked eye but was a bit difficult to capture on picture with my amateur camera.

I was able to capture this on video at Exposure value -2.0.
http://youtu.be/bbEqZ-mWOLg

Please comment on whether I should get a replacement.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
please get new replacement. who was your dealer? this is poor beam quality, really. sorry to see. :mecry:

ObserverJLin

Newly Enlightened
It's from Edenwebshops. I got it from them since they offer 5 year warranty.

I am an entry level in LED flashlights so can you please explain in more detail how you could tell this is poor beam quality?
Thanks

kj2

Flashaholic
It's from Edenwebshops. I got it from them since they offer 5 year warranty.

I am an entry level in LED flashlights so can you please explain in more detail how you could tell this is poor beam quality?
Thanks
From Eden? I know this web-shop, just contact them and they will solve your problem :)
Most of my lights, I order at their Dutch-website.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Eden? I know this web-shop, just contact them and they will solve your problem :)
Most of my lights, I order at their Dutch-website.

katogroupDOTeu is huge. maybe the biggest Fenix importer in Europe. the other big one is flashlightshopDOTde. all EU dealers get their Fenix merchandise from there. both have top quality service and see things relaxed. dont worry. if you dont like the beam, wait for the XP-G2 version of LD12. they informed that the XP-G2 version of LD12 and LD22 will be out later this year.

by the way, your beam is horribly greenish.

If it is your first power LED flashlight ever, then you wouldnt know and you wouldnt mind. So... dont mind!! :ohgeez:

ObserverJLin

Newly Enlightened
I deliberately order the LD12 R5 and not the LD12 S2 due to all the negative reviews about the S2 emitters having terrible tints.
I am only concerned about the center black dot and artifacts.

ObserverJLin

Newly Enlightened
Quick question please :)

Is the small unlit dot in the center normal?

Thanks in advance.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question please :)

Is the small unlit dot in the center normal?

Thanks in advance.

some samples of the identical flashlight model have this, some dont. it's sample variation. i returned my new bought flashlights with this defect. i only accept perfect quality for my money spent.

ObserverJLin

Newly Enlightened
some samples of the identical flashlight model have this, some dont. it's sample variation.

Thanks for the quick reply. Correct me if I understood wrong, are you are saying only the Fenix LD12 R5 has this problem and not other Fenix models or other brands?

Thx

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Kato group (KnivesAndTools) have an excellent return policy. I ordered a Fenix MC11 from them, wasn't happy with the switch (very tough to switch modes as you had to press it extremely hard to get to the second stage of the switch) and they gave me a return shipment label and full refund without any problems. I actually asked for store credit since I'm not used to refunds, but I guess cash makes for excellent store credit.

I'd just contact them and I'm sure they'll refund or replace it to your liking.

By the way, I have a few S2 lights, and they are all excellent in tint. My D25A XP-G S2 has the best tint of all my lights (until I get a Nichia 219 maybe, but that's another thing altogether).

ObserverJLin

Newly Enlightened
katogroupDOTeu is huge. maybe the biggest Fenix importer in Europe. the other big one is flashlightshopDOTde. all EU dealers get their Fenix merchandise from there. both have top quality service and see things relaxed. dont worry. if you dont like the beam, wait for the XP-G2 version of LD12. they informed that the XP-G2 version of LD12 and LD22 will be out later this year.

by the way, your beam is horribly greenish.

If it is your first power LED flashlight ever, then you wouldnt know and you wouldnt mind. So... dont mind!! :ohgeez:

Just realized you said XP-G2 and not XP-G S2 XD
Thanks I'll consider that too.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick reply. Correct me if I understood wrong, are you are saying only the Fenix LD12 R5 has this problem and not other Fenix models or other brands?

Thx

Every CREE flashlight is subject to this problem. Sample variation of CREE led's.
Yes i meant XP-G2, the 2nd gen of XP-G emitters. Perfect for small handheld 1xAA flashlights.
So far i know that Thrunite, Eagletac, Klarus, Olight, Rofis and 4Sevens have released XP-G2 based AA-flashlights.

LEDburn

Enlightened

Thx

I think the problem, more than any other factor, comes from using a smooth reflector. I have this issue on several smooth reflector equipped lights.
If you ask me, lights that small should be more flood orientated and come with a nice orange peel reflector and offer a good broad beam with gradual transition from hotspot to spill.

Welcome to CPF and good luck with your next purchase!!