Arc Grey Luxeon III TV1K

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here it is, on a rev 2 Arc board:

grey_rev1_tv1k.jpg

The TV1K emitter was extremely easy to remove from the star. After desoldering the leads, I just barely flexed the star and it slid right off. The color is actually very nice. The V1 bin would seem to be in the old "1" bin range IIRC, but this emitter is whiter than my best R2 (and those are pretty white). As with most high domes, the tint is consistent from the center of the hotspot all the way out to the edge of the corona. No green or blue bands. It now resides in a beadblasted grey body:
grey_raw_vs_bb.jpg

On the right is my EDC grey kit, which has a R2K emitter on a rev 1 board. Head-to-head, the R2K seems a little brighter close up (less than 1 foot), but at a distance of 20 feet or so, the TV1K is CLEARLY brighter. I don't quite understand that phenomenon.

I will get beamshots later tonight, I have to move the furniture around to make enough room to take good pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at my baby all grown up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any thought on boostin' the mA? I wonder what a bump up into the >700 range would do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

-Jason

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very slick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Great job.

BC

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beamshot:
rev1_r2k_vs_rev2_tv1k.jpg

Rev1 board with R2K on the left, Rev2 board with TV1K on the right. Both have very nice NX-05 optics. The V1 is just a touch whiter, but both have the "cream" off-white tint, not any hint of green. The R2K seems to have a brighter central hotspot, but the TV1K has a larger secondary hotspot and to my eye puts out slightly (but noticably) more total light using the poor-man's integrating sphere technique (point the light at the celing in a darkened room).

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:
Any thought on boostin' the mA? I wonder what a bump up into the >700 range would do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to boost this thing, but I'm scared to solder those itty bitty resistors. I'll have to study up on both circuits to see what needs to be done to each.