Thoughts on your SmallSun ZY-C10-S

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased one of these and wanted to know if anyone who already owns one has any thoughts or comments....Thanks....Robert

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a stock one that I crammed an XRE p60 module in with some foil.
I had to tape the head in its focused position because I changed the focal point when installing the module.
It's ugly.

I didn't bother painting the reflector black so the beam is Ringy but its a great size.

Easy to carry & throws a bit further than my Ahorton lens.
I love single cell p60 sized form factor.

If Saab had offered these at the time I would've bought one rather than hack up the one I've got.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
dear Saabluster,

any chance of offering this light with an XPE-2?

What improvement in lux might be expected when upgrading from XPE to XPE-2?

Yourfun2

Enlightened
I have a non modified. Fun to play with, shoots a nice beam. My low flickers, but not used, so doesn't bother me. Could be a little brighter on flood. Nice form factor and cheap but seems sturdy.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased one of these and wanted to know if anyone who already owns one has any thoughts or comments....Thanks....Robert
Well your light just shipped as you probably know by now so you will have to report back your findings. As I have said before I am a bit dispassionate with my lights when it comes to expressing how I feel about them. The modified SS is significantly more polished overall as compared to the stock light. You will like the very smooth action of the head movement to change the beam. The stock light has a metal on metal grating sound. It is very powerful for the size. Two things I don't like about the light are the slightly too narrow beam for the intensity that it has and the fact that there are some artifacts when in full flood. Overall I love it though and it has been a fairly big seller with several repeat buyers which tells me people like the light. I really wish I could source a shorter focal length lens for this light that would broaden the beam some. The dynamic range it has is almost impossible to beat so if you could only carry one light this might be a good candidate. I myself prefer to carry two lights. One dedicated throw and then a tiny pocket light like the modified T10 I now have on the site. I haven't really said anything about that light here yet but it is a gem.

dear Saabluster,

any chance of offering this light with an XPE-2?

What improvement in lux might be expected when upgrading from XPE to XPE-2?

I haven't had time to see how much better the XPE2 would be. It already uses the top bin XPE. No doubt there would be some improvement but that will just have to wait until a later date. Too many projects going right now to worry about it and the SmallSuns are already built so putting the XPE2 in there would require tearing apart all the work we have done. :eek: It is still the longest throwing light its size. ;)

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I myself prefer to carry two lights. One dedicated throw and then a tiny pocket light like the modified T10 I now have on the site. I haven't really said anything about that light here yet but it is a gem. ;)

I myself just ordered a t10. Cant wait to see if its (The One)...keychain light that is. ;);)

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the SS a few day ago and must say i am very impressed with this light. It has unbelieveable throw for its size and a very useful flood beam when you move the head. Saabluster has really done an outstanding job on this light as i have gotten use to him doing. This small sun might be my favorite of my 7 Saabluster lights because of the usefullness of the beam. This is a real winner for me. OH and BTW I cant wait for my Deft-x. THANKS for making us flashaholics great lights to use and play with....Robert

langham

Enlightened
New light fro onestopthrowshop released today

About this, there isn't any info I can find. Does it have any flood capability? I have no use for a just throw light of that size, but if I could also use if for flood it might make it into my EDC rotation. The SS does look like a strong candidate as well, but I haven't ever purchased a OSTS light and would like to make my first one a masterpiece and not just another light to keep batteries for.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I placed an order for the Small Sun earlier today. I should have it next week. I'll try to get some beamshot comparisons afterwards.

About this, there isn't any info I can find. Does it have any flood capability? I have no use for a just throw light of that size, but if I could also use if for flood it might make it into my EDC rotation. The SS does look like a strong candidate as well, but I haven't ever purchased a OSTS light and would like to make my first one a masterpiece and not just another light to keep batteries for.

The Small Sun is the only zoomable light available at OSTS.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Small Sun yesterday, and among the first things that I've done to it were to swap the stock reverse clicky with a McClicky, which was really simple. The light now has momentary activation.

Furthermore, I've installed a Hawke Sports clear see-through scope cover (HF2004). It was a somewhat loose fit, so I had to wrap the head of the light with some electrical tape to get it to fit snug. In the end, I ended up with a lens and bezel protector that allows me to operate the light without having to open up the cover, which is great since aspherics are delicate, not to mention protecting the front part of the head and bezel from dings and scratches.

The tape does serve another purpose, since it's taped over the opening of front and rear part of the head, so to prevent the head assembly from accidentally unscrewing itself and unfocusing the lens.

It's snowing here in NY, so I'm not sure if I can get a beamshot any time soon, but I will if I can.

Last edited:

BagmanOz

Newly Enlightened
Hey enomosiki any chance of some beam shots at 100yards or comparison shots?
I am interested in this light but cant seem to find any comparison beamshots anywhere.

Thanks

jshay

Newly Enlightened
First post here on CPF.
I am a super newbie who thought he was a flashaholic, owning many surefire lights and weaponlights. But I have to say that I feel like a very new kid in a very big new candy store here. The concept of a thrower that could also be an edc is probably my first step. I have seen throw pictures for all the big guns from OSTS, and believe me I will be heading that way sooner than my bank accout would like, but for now I would like to start with something that I could carry in a coat pocket. The idea that the Smallsun can also focus out into a flood makes me think it would be a good entry point into aspherics, but I would love to see some pics of the dynamic range of this light before I buy. I've run some searches here, but can't seem to find a thorough review..
Thanks in advance for humoring the new guy.

scout24

Flashaholic
Saab- I understand the Smallsun is a single stage light: can you give me an approximate lumen output? Your site says "in stock", if I were to order today, when would it likely ship? I'm jonesing for my DeftX, and this may help take the edge off... :)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saab- I understand the Smallsun is a single stage light: can you give me an approximate lumen output? Your site says "in stock", if I were to order today, when would it likely ship? I'm jonesing for my DeftX, and this may help take the edge off... :)

Within a day or two. Lumens? hmm without thinking about it too hard maybe 100? Depends of course whereat in the zoom range it is. With the beam wide there will be more light actually making it out.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot find beam shots of this light anywhere.

All the OSTS light beam shots will show a bright line and a tiny spot. This has a typical aspheric beam pattern. There are three unknowns: minimum and maximum beam angle, and lux at maximum throw. What would a beam shot show besides a bright square?

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
All the OSTS light beam shots will show a bright line and a tiny spot. This has a typical aspheric beam pattern. There are three unknowns: minimum and maximum beam angle, and lux at maximum throw. What would a beam shot show besides a bright square?

Sorry for the late response. Never saw that someone replied. Beamshots of a light such as this would show its performance at a known distance (e.g., 100 yards on narrow-mode, 4 feet on wide-mode) as well as tint.

I purchased the light yesterday. I will provide the photos that are lacking.

Last edited: