Bike Light: EagleTac D25LC2 CLICKY XM-L vs Sunwayman C20C XM-L

Ned-L

Enlightened
Years ago I did regular night mountain bike trail rides using NiteRider Incandescent lights on my helmut and handlebars. I have started doing some occasional night rides and want to use my LED flashlights. I am pretty happy with my Nitecore EC2 with an Eagletac 3100 mAh battery velcroed to my helmut. I would like to upgrade my handlebar mounted light. I am looking for a relatively small but bright 18650 light for my handlebars that can run on high for at least 2 hours. I think for the handlebars, a floody beam with moderte throw is fine. I really don't care about the difference between natural and cool white - probably lean towards cool white for the slightly higher output. I think either the EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky XM-L or the Sunwayman C20C XM-L could be good choices. Any thoughts on which light would be better or any other light suggestions?

Thanks

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a bike light, the Sunwayman C20c would be the better of the two, the side switch is easier to activate while your pedalling and I think the beam profile would be perfect for the short to mid range beam needed.

Beckler

Enlightened
The C20c battery level indicator would be a nice touch for cycling...if it wasn't on the wrong side. Though I guess you could position it on top so the switch is underneath. I think the Zebra SC600 will be hard to beat, and the new MkII version will have battery indication (though you have to turn it off first I think? If so, as usual, that UI makes no sense). I think I've read that it's med. flood beam is good for cycling. I was also considering RRT21 for cycling but its LED is getting dated now with the 800+ Lm single 18650 lights out. Jetbeam also has ST Cycler specifically for bikes.

Ned-L

Enlightened
The C20c battery level indicator would be a nice touch for cycling...if it wasn't on the wrong side. Though I guess you could position it on top so the switch is underneath. I think the Zebra SC600 will be hard to beat, and the new MkII version will have battery indication (though you have to turn it off first I think? If so, as usual, that UI makes no sense). I think I've read that it's med. flood beam is good for cycling. I was also considering RRT21 for cycling but its LED is getting dated now with the 800+ Lm single 18650 lights out. Jetbeam also has ST Cycler specifically for bikes.
Thanks for the feedback. I was considering the Zebra SC600 until I read a number of threads talking about water issues. I think they indicated that it was related to the bezel being pressed in instead of threaded. Do you think that it would be a concern if I got caught riding in a torrential downpour? Any news on if they are getting close to shipping the new MkII version? I haven't considered the Jetbeam that you mentioned - how does it stack up against the other lights we are discussing?

Beckler

Enlightened
MkII will be sometime in January, according to their website. I haven't tried any of the lights I mentioned so I can't offer much else, sry.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback. I was considering the Zebra SC600 until I read a number of threads talking about water issues. I think they indicated that it was related to the bezel being pressed in instead of threaded. Do you think that it would be a concern if I got caught riding in a torrential downpour? Any news on if they are getting close to shipping the new MkII version? I haven't considered the Jetbeam that you mentioned - how does it stack up against the other lights we are discussing?
My recomendation would be the sc600 due to beam flood, efficiency and small size. I have had mine submerged before. This is the first I have heard of any bezel leaking. Perhaps someone removed the bezel and pinched the o ring upon rethreading.

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
I was in my yard last night with my Eagletac d25a clicky. It is the xm-l version. I was thinking that it might make a great bike light but haven't had time to try it. The model you mention has 3 times the output of mine. I'm not familiar with the Zebra or the Sunwayman but the eagletac might be great. Please let us know what you decide. Best of luck.

Ned-L

Enlightened
Still undecided :(
Should both the Sunwayman C20C and the Eagletac D25LC2 be okay running on high continuously for 90-120 minutes?
Would either be better for quickly switching from off to high mode?

offthetrail

Newly Enlightened
I use my Zebralight SC600 as a handlebar bike light with my Spark headlamp on my helmet. Its a great mountain bike combination. I have used it on some pretty fast downhill trails and i have never wished I had more light. Its great if you don't want to spend the money for dedicated bike lights due to occasional use.

Ned-L

Enlightened
I use my Zebralight SC600 as a handlebar bike light with my Spark headlamp on my helmet. Its a great mountain bike combination. I have used it on some pretty fast downhill trails and i have never wished I had more light. Its great if you don't want to spend the money for dedicated bike lights due to occasional use.
That's another vote for the Zebralight SC600. I guess I should consider it as well. I think what the Sunwayman and Zebralights have over the Eagletac is that they are really compact enough 18650 lights to EDC in front pants pockets. Which model Spark headlamp do you use? Does the included headband stay on your bike helmut?

offthetrail

Newly Enlightened
I carry my Zebralight everyday in my pocket as well. Its a tad big in jeans, but I barely notice it in my work pants. I use the spark ST6-460NW as my headlamp. I use it for everything including working on cars, etc. It is very versatile with the included frosted lens as a work light and works great on my mountain bike with the clear lens. I use the included headband on my bike helmet, but I add an additional velcro strap to hold it in place tighter. Not sure if you have considered neutral white LED's or not, but both my zebralight and spark are neutral, which are great outdoors. They really help me with depth perception at night in the woods. I get more comments from other mountain bikers about the color of my lights looking much better than "blue" lights on the trails. You will barely notice the lower lumens compared to cool white outdoors compared to the other benefits. I really like cool white for other tasks.

asot

Newly Enlightened
I also use my SC600 in my bike (handlebar with a twofish mount)
Best solution for a bike light - period.-

GunnarGG

Enlightened
More like a general observation (that may be relevant regarding the eagletac but I'm not sure).

On my bike I have a Solarforce with a cheap 3-mode drop in from Manafont.
It works fine, good illumination, but when I use a reverse clicky it can change mode if it's a bit bumpy.
I prefer reverse clicky with that UI but because of this mode changing problem I now use a forward clicky.
A twisty would probably be even more reliable.

I don't know if the D25LC2 use a reverse clicky and if it does I don't know if this is an issue.
Maybe somebody have experience of the EagleTac and bumpy bike tracks.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1,000,000

... Not sure if you have considered neutral white LED's or not, but both my zebralight and spark are neutral, which are great outdoors. They really help me with depth perception at night in the woods. I get more comments from other mountain bikers about the color of my lights looking much better than "blue" lights on the trails. You will barely notice the lower lumens compared to cool white outdoors compared to the other benefits. I really like cool white for other tasks.

I have slowed buying lights tremendously because few come with neutral LEDs, and I have modded almost all of mine to neutral. Waaaay more useful tint outdoors.
BTW, I have ridden full speed MTB races with a SureFire KX head modded to Neutral XR-E ...yes, XR-E... driven by a 1Amp board on my helmet with a floodier 400L handlebar light and been more than satisfied.

Ned-L

Enlightened
I use the spark ST6-460NW as my headlamp.
What brightness level do you use most frequently while mountain biking? Can you use Super or Max continuously for a 1.5 to 2 hour ride without overheating issues? With a 3100 mAh battery what kind of run times do you get on Super or Max settings? Thanks.