Mag 5D Globe

harro

Enlightened
:thinking:

Hi;
Can anyone suggest where i might obtain a replacement globe for this torch. Its got one of those old 'Krypton' globes 7.4 volt with a somewhat darkened glass. Is there a decent halogen or even LED upgrade available for these things ? Its got a bit of sentimental value to me, so i'd like to keep it running as long as possible.
Many thanks;
Mike.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The xenon bulbs superseded the krypton ones; if you replace it with a Mag xenon bulb, it'll be slightly whiter and brighter. As for LED upgrades, the list is massive. Start by Googling "Malkoff Devices" and "Terralux"

harro

Enlightened
The xenon bulbs superseded the krypton ones; if you replace it with a Mag xenon bulb, it'll be slightly whiter and brighter. As for LED upgrades, the list is massive. Start by Googling "Malkoff Devices" and "Terralux"

Found a nice drop in by TerraLUX. 140lms and still focusable. Thats got to be better than the old Krypton. Got one ordered from Batt. Junct.
Tks again.
Mike.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Found a nice drop in by TerraLUX. 140lms and still focusable. Thats got to be better than the old Krypton.

That's a bit brighter than the stock bulb on a fresh set of batteries, but you'll see the biggest difference over time because the Terralux is regulated, so it doesn't dim. A stock Maglite runtime curve looks like this:

mag3d.gif

With your new Terralux drop-in, that curve will become a ruler-flat line for over 20 hours; a much better deal.

harro

Enlightened
That's a bit brighter than the stock bulb on a fresh set of batteries, but you'll see the biggest difference over time because the Terralux is regulated, so it doesn't dim. A stock Maglite runtime curve looks like this:

mag3d.gif

With your new Terralux drop-in, that curve will become a ruler-flat line for over 20 hours; a much better deal.

Ohh yes. Currently you're not sure what you'll get when you turn the mag on. Anything from a golden yellow hue to a dull orange, haha. I like the idea of similar output or a bit better, with good regulation. Of my torches, this was the one that started it all, and my only incan. Also being able to reinstate an incan globe for a while, if the desire is there, is a bonus, as there's no mods to do.
Mike.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Thanks, that's the Terralux TLE-300, their older three-emitter drop in. I put it in a 2D Mag with AA battery holders in it, so it's powered by 6xAA batteries. And a Flash-Cap taillight to cap it off. 600 lumens from 11 inches of Mag, people don't see that coming!

idQ5CgfwbiKIp.jpg

harro

Enlightened
Thanks, that's the Terralux TLE-300, their older three-emitter drop in. I put it in a 2D Mag with AA battery holders in it, so it's powered by 6xAA batteries. And a Flash-Cap taillight to cap it off. 600 lumens from 11 inches of Mag, people don't see that coming!

idQ5CgfwbiKIp.jpg

So how are the AA's configured, 2 x 3, to still give 3V ?
Looking at that torch is enough to whet ones appetite for another MagLite!!
I can see myself in trouble with ' She, who MUST be obeyed'.
Is that finish the one that MagLite call 'silver', or a really nicely polished one-off ?
Cheers;
Mike.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's a pair of 1D/3AA series battery holders, provides 9 volts; one really simple mod you can do with this config is to install the 6D Mag bulb, that'll get you 220 lumens for a few dollars. The finish is stock silver, I prefer it just because I like bright/visible finishes, and it doesn't show scratches. It makes a great walking-by-the-road light, bright as a car headlight up front and a proper taillight in back..

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff would be a good way to go on this one. You actually have a couple of choices here. You can get the 3-6D XP-G2 drop-in for 300 lumens. Or you can get the 3-4D XM-L2 drop in for 900 lumens. But with a 5D light, you would need to use a dummy cell, as five cells will burn it out.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Yesterday I got my first 4D Mag.
It now has a TLE-310 in it and that puts out a lot of very nice light with a nice beamshape.

About incan replacement bulbs I can tell you that my Mag came with the new bi-pin bulb, Magnum Star II.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?339285-Mag-changed-their-incan-bulb!
http://www.rei.com/product/843905/maglite-mag-num-star-ii-xenon-bulb

I don't have an old bulb to compare to, but it seems that the new bulb is a little bit better than the old one.
In my eyes it looked pretty good.

The TLE-310 is something totally different though. :thumbsup: