MiniMag 2xAA mega upgrade ideas

japudjuha

Enlightened
I have a double A minimag I have had for 22 years.

I am not looking for 2000LM, but just to make a big improvement
over the 5+/-LM at present)

I would like to do an upgrade on it.
-Led
-Batteries
-tail cap switch

I have seen some led replacements on ebay.

Does anyone else have idea?

Thanks
James

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
You handy? Or better said adventurous/brave?
I just finished modding a minimag(my first one). Turned it into a micro and its pushing around 200 lumen and decent run time.

This ought to get your wheels turning
va6etudu.jpg

I have more pics and info if you decide this route.

las3r

Enlightened
Did u use a driver ?, any heatsinking, what led did u use, battery

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Any of the 3 watt drop-ins will give you an astounding amount of light in comparison to the original. It will still have the same feel and look for that bit of nostalgia. Avoid the 'Nite Ize' drop-ins. They always under perform.

I like to run 2xAA using the energizer lithiums. Lots of run time and lots of power too. Just be careful because you will be pushing close to 4 volts when fresh.

Daniel

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Did u use a driver ?, any heatsinking, what led did u use, battery

Yes, yes, xpe, 14500

now a bit more detail, starting in that order:
Since this was more of a...let's see if I'm capable of doing this project, I opted on staying on a budget.
1. Driver = DX SKU : 25518
2. Self made heat sink from a 1/2 in copper pipe end cap that is readly available for very cheap at local hardware store. Since mine is potted to the body of the light I can't pull it out to show but this is it:
quna6uge.jpg

3. Emitter in this case is xpe. Why? Found it dirt cheap on eBay. Can any other be used? You bet. Just match the appropriate driver to it.

In my case the driver is potted to the open end of heatsink(16mm driver and star fit like they were ment) and led rests flat on closed end. Couple of holes for wires, trim length of copper so reflector presses tightly on star for good thermal connection and presto you have a dropin.
I also removed some thread from inside the head so the pill sat deeper into the head that way with buttontops, twist action is still achieved.
4. One protected 14500
Human lathe method to make it a single li-ion size and as soon as it was dark I started grinning :D

Honestly it sounds harder than it is. All this can be done in around one to two hrs and no major special tools required.
Plus having 200 or more lumens in this size will wow most ppl.
juga8asy.jpg

dy8avadu.jpg

And because I wouldn't dream of using an expensive EDC in my line of work this has filled my needs way better than expected
mu7e5eby.jpg

Some ppl have pushed as much as 1000 and one member has the current brightest mini in the world.
Check his thread out for more ideas: Match's 4M

Last edited:

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Edit: forgot to mention that all original switching mechanism is removed so the buttontop contacts the center (positive terminal) on pill/driver as its being twisted into the head and its this action that turns it on.

megamosfet

Newly Enlightened
Really? My experience does not match yours. Maybe my expectations are lower than yours, but, I've been happy with mine. Nite Ize' customer service has been great to me, too.

I was looking at this little bit o' hardware last night for my beloved 'Mini.' I use my stuff but most definitely don't abuse it. Is this upgrade flimsy or fragile or is it fine for normal carrying around and shinin' on stuff? Probably the hardest action this light has/ will ever see is to light my way out of the camping trailer and keep me from peein' on my slippers in the middle of the night...I only ask 'cause you mentioned "customer service."

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at this little bit o' hardware last night for my beloved 'Mini.' I use my stuff but most definitely don't abuse it. Is this upgrade flimsy or fragile or is it fine for normal carrying around and shinin' on stuff? Probably the hardest action this light has/ will ever see is to light my way out of the camping trailer and keep me from peein' on my slippers in the middle of the night...I only ask 'cause you mentioned "customer service."
I've had two problems that they've addressed quickly and simply by sending me a replacement. One was a 3-LED MM drop-in where the three emitters were each pointing a different direction (I know, nitpicking) and the other was a 1-watt PR flange drop-in that stopped working.

megamosfet

Newly Enlightened
Sold. I'm gonna scoot by in the morning and grab the 1W with I.Q. switch. Thanks.

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
Match does great mods and is one of the reasons I started making micros. I use a 3/4" hole saw with the head pressed into a 1" hole in a wood block to bore the head to accept either a 20 mm triple nichia/xp-g2 or single xml star and 7135 based driver. With a 14650 cell and low, med, high I get a handy, bright light with decent run time.

joao2004

Newly Enlightened
I have recently modded one for a friend... led and driver from an sipik sk68 clone (Q5??) (that was modded with a XM-L)
Using 2xSanyo NiMh OTF lumens:

Original: 8 lumen ; 8 lm/W
Nite Ize dropin (3x5mm led): 13 lumen ; 23 lm/W
modded: 85 lumen; 72 lm/W

maglite%25202AA%2520led%2520mod.jpg

japudjuha

Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience or opinions on the terralux TLE-5EX drop in module for the minimag? I can get them on eBay nice and cheap, and with a claimed 140 lumen output. It sounds pretty good. Although you know what they say about things that seem too good to be true!
Any guidance, good or bad appreciated.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I have recently modded one for a friend... led and driver from an sipik sk68 clone (Q5??) (that was modded with a XM-L)
Using 2xSanyo NiMh OTF lumens:

Original: 8 lumen ; 8 lm/W
Nite Ize dropin (3x5mm led): 13 lumen ; 23 lm/W
modded: 85 lumen; 72 lm/W

maglite%25202AA%2520led%2520mod.jpg

Very cool! Does the driver contact the body inside of the battery tube to establish the negative connection? Or do you have the negative ring soldered to the copper pill?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts