Customlites' XM-L U3 Drop-in

spycarrussell

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a new Solarforce LN2 (grey) with XM-L U3 drop-in for about a week now and must comment on the performance of this combo. WOW! This thing is rated at 800 otf lumens and Dave at Customlites admits it is very close to that. This light rocks!

Yesterday, I was lighting up a walk-in refrigerator I was working in for approx. 20 minutes on HIGH (I opted for the 5 brightness mode version--no flashing modes) with the light laying on its side to light up the room like it was sunlight. The light didn't even get hot, and was barely warm to the touch.

Dave includes a length of sticky copper foil tape to take up any slack between the drop-in and the light housing, which I fully used to make a snug but not tight fit. This thermal material and the use of thermal potting Dave uses results in a truly usable, compact near 800 lumen light.

I admit that this light is mostly a floody beam and is ideal (for me) in indoor situations. Those looking for throw should elect to utilize a different combo.

I also wanted to mention that I have absolutely NO financial connections to Customlites, so only offer this experience as something of interest to you all.

This combo from Customlites is highly recommended and has exceeded my expectations by a lot.:twothumbs

Cheers,
Spycarrussell

SilentK

Enlightened
Can anyone comment on the regulation of these modules? Do they seem to stay near full output for the duration of the runtime? I've had my eye on more than a couple of these lovely drop-ins. Thanks :D