Thrunite TN30 XM-L2 3338 lumens max does not match the advertised 3600 lumens max?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Guys.

I was just browsing around at the Thrunite Store.

I was looking at the differences between the old TN30 and the new TN30.

I noticed something odd about the advertised and specfied maximum output lumens of the newer TN30.

The new TN30 using 3 x XM-L2 LEDs is advertised as having a maximum output of 3600 lumens.

The table of specified output levels for the new TN30 using 3 x XM-L2 states that the maximum output is 3338 lumens.

Is it just an oversight or is the newer TN30 XM-L2 not advertised correctly or overstated?

MAXIMUM OUTPUT 3338 LUMENS or 3600 LUMENS????
:confused:

CHEERS

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe 3,600 lumens is output at turn on and it goes down to 3,338 lumens after a while. Same as TN30 that drops from 3,000 lumens to 2,700-ish lumens at powering on.

My TN31 lights have that step-down output control when first switched on in the Turbo mode but they never had a spec of anything lower than that in the spec table of 1147 lumens.

The review done in May 2012 stated that the advertised maximum output of the TN30 was 3000 lumens but the spec table showed 2780 lumens at max on Level 6 at that time.

The link to the CPF turboBB TN30 review is below.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-ThruNite-TN30-Review-(3-x-XM-L-U2-3-x-18650)

What is going on with these specs?

CHEERS

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they use round numbers for advertising.

:D

Hi Teej.

That probably is the case with the TN30.

I have not seen any evidence of Thrunite advertising the TN31 above the maximum (level 6) of 1147 lumens as per the spec table by way of rounding off the lumen figures.
It is not a big thing but just something that looked a bit odd to me.:wtf:

Have you seen any rounding being done in promoting the TN31?

CHEERS

cubebike

Enlightened
Any TN30 user having problems of
1. Led color unmatched
2. Flickering on maximum setting
I bought the Tn30 XML2 a week ago. I found that all the led colors are different. One at CW, the other two at different yellowish color. Also, sometimes it has flickering on maximum setting.
imageumi.jpg

CM2010

Enlightened
You could try taking the battery carrier apart and giving it a good clean. I had flickering on both of my TN30's cleaning the carrier fixed it on the U2 version but not on the L2 as it would always flicker on level 4.

cubebike

Enlightened
You could try taking the battery carrier apart and giving it a good clean. I had flickering on both of my TN30's cleaning the carrier fixed it on the U2 version but not on the L2 as it would always flicker on level 4.
Thanks for the info! I will try to clean it using contact cleaner!

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 1150 lumens OTF is about all that can be expected from an XML2, and after 30 seconds it will be lower .
Anything higher than that is over-driving it, or else some funny business with the numbers.
I'd say that the 3338 figure should be pretty solid.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Any TN30 user having problems of
1. Led color unmatched
2. Flickering on maximum setting
I bought the Tn30 XML2 a week ago. I found that all the led colors are different. One at CW, the other two at different yellowish color. Also, sometimes it has flickering on maximum setting.
imageumi.jpg

Wow! That's fairly pronounced! Hopefully they've identified the issue and are taking car if it.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm assuming that pattern is a white wall hunter issue, and that after beam convergence a few yards further away, you won't see that.

I know my TN30 doesn't have a beam like that at normal user ranges at least.

cubebike

Enlightened
I'm assuming that pattern is a white wall hunter issue, and that after beam convergence a few yards further away, you won't see that.

I know my TN30 doesn't have a beam like that at normal user ranges at least.

i don't agree it's the white wall hunter issue. From Level 1 to 5, the yellowish color/tone is very obvious. At Level 6, every now and then has the flickering problem.

cubebike

Enlightened
Quick update - I sent the TN30 to their office in China about a week ago. They don't have stock at this moment and I am waiting for their return shipment! Thrunite said will be available about a week or so.
Hopefully, they will send me a TN30 that has correct/ match Cree color output and without flickering problem.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick update - I sent the TN30 to their office in China about a week ago. They don't have stock at this moment and I am waiting for their return shipment! Thrunite said will be available about a week or so.
Hopefully, they will send me a TN30 that has correct/ match Cree color output and without flickering problem.

That photo is not a white wall issue but a serious problem.

All of my Skyray Kings (8 in all) look perfect on a wall unlike your TN30.

Why should the TN30 be any different?

I have two stock TN31s and also Saablaster's modded ones and the DEFT-X is on order.

There were quite a lot of flickering issues even in the first TN30.

I stayed away from it thinking it would all get resolved sooner or later but that does not seem to be the case.

I bought a Fenix TK75 and was going to buy the newer TN30 with the XM-L2 LEDs in it but I am not going to buy any TN30 now.

The TN31 lights all work great fortunately and that format is now used in various brands because it just works so well.

Thrunite has a had a good reputation until just lately with their TN30 flashlights, what has happened to Quality Control?

Stand your ground with that TN30 until you get a good looking beam and a set of LEDs without the flickering issues as well!!!

Or just buy a Skyray King ($50) as most of the reputable sellers have stock that work well and they are cheap nowadays, they ROCK!

CHEERS

Last edited:

cubebike

Enlightened
I will wait a little bit longer before making the conclusion! Their Customer Service seems very proactive and willing to solve the issue. The TN30 is my first Thrunite and I will see what they can do on the issue. I have maybe 30-50 flashlight of different brands. I had problems with some of them ( different company)! I think the TN30 issue is fixable !

I just email them regarding the progress of the replacement and will keep everyone posted once I received the replacement

cubebike

Enlightened
I received the replacement under warranty

1. Although the 3 Led are not perfectly match in color. I think it is acceptable. I have six different triple dropin/flashlight. Now this is the only one with visually distinguishable color discrepancy. Remember this is already the replacement

2. Flicker problem. The replacement flickering problem was very serious. I used a lot of contact cleaner to clean all the contact parts. Seems better after the cleaning. Once again, this is the replacement

Thurnite , I thought you serious on QC at least for replacement under warranty!
I am quite disappointed and I think you should seriously look after your QC.

I am done with this brand

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
I was just about to order a TN30, but I'm aborting the project altogether - I need to find a light with similar output without any flickering issues ! What a shame.