New member here..

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
My friend and fellow member Owen directed me to this forum.First I must say that this entire flashlight thing is highly addicting.I have been lurking here for some time and have found much needed information.I use a light(commander)every night on duty and do value the qualities of a good light as my life may depend on it one night.I am not very up to date on the technical stuff so please forgive any dumb questions as I am here to learn.I have just done my first mod for fun and am very happy to say it went well.I bought a Solitaire and used a bulb from a cheap key chain light to convert it to led I got the info.from the mod section on flashlightreviews.com.It works fairly well with the 12 volt short battery and I am tickled pink that I pulled it off.I bought a spare led from radioshack that was labeled as blue 3.7 volt and 2600mcd.My question is this...what is this mcd number?The blue bulb is not even close to the bulb salvaged from a $1.99 light but I do not know the details on this bulb.They are both 5mm led and I really want a blue color for my modded Solitaire.Can anyone explain the mcd for me and if this is the reading for actual brightness?I am curious if a higher mcd # equals a more bright led.When I learn to post pics I will attempt to show my handywork and I must say thanks to a member here who inspired me.I think he goes by "LED mods as small as possible"....Thank you as I really admire your lights.I do not know why lights are so addicting but I plan to purchase several in the near future.I got lucky with my commander and had few battery problems and actually love the light.Used a stinger on duty for 3 years and gave it to Owen who still uses it....very good light and it went through a lot of abuse.Love my inova for searching cars and just the looks of the little light.Also have a Streamlight stylus and blue photon.Thanks for any answers to my questions ...love this sight

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard.

2600mcd times 1000 equals 2.6 candle.
5 candle would be 5000 mcd.

GregR

Bumper sticker seen...."Be safe at night, sleep with a cop"

Robocop

Thanks for your help Double A and when you say candle does that equal candle power?....Like I said I am new to the technical stuff..hehe

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop. If you ever get downtown, let me know. I have some high rated blue LEDs of different hues that you can have. Glad to help out our local boys in blue.

charliek

Enlightened
Welcome Robocop-

The Radio Shack LEDs are pretty poor. There are a few places on the web to get Nichia LEDs- these are nice bright white LEDs for making MODs- about $1.50 each.
No such thing as a stupid question- ask away!

Robocop

Thanks for the offer Sunspot and you have a private message.I think I sent it correct but if not just e-mail me at [email protected] .....I would love a better bulb and the blue was my original choice.