Problem with PD 32 UE

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
I got it from Edison Light, which I am glad, because the on/off button is now not working. I have to hold it down to keep the light on. Every so often, it works fine.

Edison Light (from ebay) has a 14 day return policy for refund or replacement, and I can't mail it until Tuesday due to holiday, which puts it past the deadline, but they wrote not to worry about it. They have a replacement there for me.

I am glad I got it from them. I love the size of the PD 32 UE, and the high output for outdoors.

Is there anything I should have tried with the on/off switch?

TK41

Newly Enlightened
I have a TK41 in which the mode button is very finicky. It's quite annoying, but past the return date from the seller I bought from. Apparently Fenix has a warranty, but I can't send my light to China and wait weeks to get it back. I have read similar issues from others with Fenix switches. I am beginning to doubt Fenix switch quality/QC.

Anyhow, I thought Fenix supplied spare switches with some of their lights? Did they stop doing that? I could have sworn I saw a review of a PD32 (not ultimate) or a TK series light that came with an extra switch.

argleargle

Enlightened
The fenix lights I've purchased all came with a spare switch BOOT, haven't seen any that came with a spare switch. I don't have all their models, though.

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
I have a TK41 in which the mode button is very finicky. It's quite annoying, but past the return date from the seller I bought from. Apparently Fenix has a warranty, but I can't send my light to China and wait weeks to get it back. I have read similar issues from others with Fenix switches. I am beginning to doubt Fenix switch quality/QC.

Anyhow, I thought Fenix supplied spare switches with some of their lights? Did they stop doing that? I could have sworn I saw a review of a PD32 (not ultimate) or a TK series light that came with an extra switch.

It has a little rubber thing with it...it looks like a cover for the on/off switch. Is that what you are referring to?

If so, how does it get changed? Is there something I should try instead of just sending it back? I really do like it for a variety of reasons.

klmmicro

Newly Enlightened
If you remove the tail cap and look at it, you will note a spring centered inside an aluminum ring. The ring has two indents. Make sure the ring is tight as this is what holds the switch assembly in place. It is possible that this has worked loose or was not tightened all the way. When I recieved mine (from Edison as well), the ring was firmly held in place by the threading, but not tightened down. I had to put another full turn before it snugged up.

I found this due to an issue with a couple of 18650 batteries that I was trying to get to work with mine. You could check yours before sending it back.

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
If you remove the tail cap and look at it, you will note a spring centered inside an aluminum ring. The ring has two indents. Make sure the ring is tight as this is what holds the switch assembly in place. It is possible that this has worked loose or was not tightened all the way. When I recieved mine (from Edison as well), the ring was firmly held in place by the threading, but not tightened down. I had to put another full turn before it snugged up.

I found this due to an issue with a couple of 18650 batteries that I was trying to get to work with mine. You could check yours before sending it back.

Since there is no mail until Tuesday, I have the time to try this. I apologize for my ignorance...(in advanced)...
How do I take off the tail cap? Do I use a tool? This is where the on/off switch is, and it does not feel like it is able to come off from just turning....small flat screw driver? thank you

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The tailcap simply unscrews. This is what you would normally unscrew to replace the batteries. The two indents on the aluminum ring inside the tail cap can be snugged with an e-ring plier.

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
I have it apart but do not find two indents nor any way to tighten. I just can dust it out but dont see what else i can do. It only stays on when I hold it down. Thank you for the responses. I'll let it be exchanged.

Last edited: