Most innovative LED flashlight ever ... at the time I bought it

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember this? I remember first seeing, on sale at the gun show, submerged in a giant plexiglas bucket of water. A million modes, perfect for long-term use as an earthquake light, or whatever else. It got overshadowed early and often in the years to follow, but still was an awesome concept at the time

1358709230_zpsc1df7eab.jpg

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I have a similar model. It's the yellow version that floats in water if you use lithium cells. Right now, I have it within reaching distance on my desk. I use it several times per day. Indoors, it has more than ample beam width and brightness, plus in a rural area with no street lights, it does a nice job of lighting your way on a dark night. I've also used it clipped to my backpack on my bicycle at night in flashing mode. Believe me, it gives you a real sense of safety when you have cars passing you at a healthy distance. In my universe, it's a real winner!

MY

Enlightened
Glad to see other old timers like me posting on the board . . .

I remember Eternalights very fondly. I still have the very first Eternalight model ever made.

By far, the most innovative LED light ever was the ARC LS, the first high flux light that is the forerunner of all modern LED lights. Even after all these years, it still puts out an impressive amount of light.

Regards

argleargle

Enlightened
I remember this unbelievable light that ran at an unheard of 1 watt. With this newfangled technology, it was a gigantic LED! It absolutely put my homemade 5mm multiled lights to shame! It was brighter than my buddies bone-stock 3d Maglite and you could fit in your pocket. Yeah, that 1 watt luxeon was rough, tough, and the STUFF! I tell you! It was a thrower, had a cool scalloped head, aluminum body, and tail switch with twisty lockout. It was perfect in every single way. I'd found the best led light ever and I just knew then that I'd never carry a AAx2 maglite again. There was no reason! The style... the runtimes... the brightness... Killer brightness! Oh man. Perfect.

So a little while later, I see someone who said "I took your advice and got an led flashlight." They pulled out a 3 watt luxeon. That's when the dark storm clouds started gathering around me... They turned it on and flashed it at a tree. Oh no... :faint: Oh no... the horror.

...I knew better. I knew I shouldn't have pulled it out and tried to light up that tree with my sickly little beam. I already knew the truth. I couldn't stop myself, pulled it out, and turned it on...

My flashlight SUCKS!

This stuff is like buying a new computer. :(

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My little "Derringer" is still going strong. With its many modes it used to be the light I would take on trips. Hasn't seen much use lately.

Geoff

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reason I don't use my eternalite more is that it's an old model, that doesn't have mode memory. So it always comes on in "hi" (or maybe it should be called "less low" :) ). Still, the light was brilliant at the time, nothing else like it that I knew of: ratchet it up and down to utility work, so dang long-running so I never even bothered packing extra batteries, and kinda like the way it feels in the hand. It's the light that got me thinking that LEDs would have real potential, rather than being an under-powered fad.

Definitely agree that the next blockbuster was the Arc LS

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before my time with LED lights, but it looks interesting. I'll have to watch for one just so I can get the chance to try it.

argleargle

Enlightened
...careful how you enjoy an antique. Someone in 20 years might want to, as well...