Want to mod greenie L4.

richpalm

Banned
Hi,

My L4 is an early one-it is very bright but when compared to newer ones it is green; not enough to make a difference in the real world but noticeable with the ceiling test against other lights.

I called SF cust. service and got the runaround, them telling me to go to the dealer, we are out of stock, send in the whole light, ad nauseum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I just hung up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

So... I need to know a good option as far as modding the head with a new emitter. I am certainly capable as I worked in defense electronics and got mil-spec certified. But I am not a "theory" person and need things all laid out for me; in this case which emitter I can just plop in for maximum *white* performance and where I can get one expediently. (if I can get the bloody thing apart!)

The other option would be to put it on BST and just order a new light but I think I'd have trouble selling.

Comments or ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rich,
If it's bright and only slightly green. I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you only noticed it after comparing it to another light.

If you insist on changing the luxeon, just go with another white 5W. Take your pick. I'd go with one with a low Vf to maximize runtime. If you find a source of W or X flux 5W's let me know 'cause I'd like some too.

Taking the head apart is easy. Don't bother with the lens ring. Just unscrew it at the middle. Carefully pull the circuit away from the sink that is held in the reflector part of the head and you'll see two screws. Remove these and the sink should come out. At this point, you should be able to see what needs to be done. The emitter is not epoxied in place. Just desolder the emitter and replace it.

If you decide to sell it, let me know. I'd probably be interested.

Led-Ed

Enlightened
I tried to do this but after I got the two screws out the sink wouldn't come out-I could rotate it slightly in the head but was afraid to break a high$$$ item so I gave up.
Since the kl4 is underdriven,could I just drop in a luxeon3 watt or would the circuit or led get fried?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny that you mention this because this just happened to me. McGizmo says that it's not uncommon. I just applied heat with a heat gun to soften the epoxy and used a pair of small needle nose to pull the sink out.

You could go with a 1W or 3W luxeon, but you'll only be able to drive it with either a single 123 or a single li-ion rechargeable such as the Pila 168S. Anything more and you'll probably fry the circuit and/or the LED. I do run my EDC this way though. It makes for a nice light. Good flood with more throw.