Maximum input voltage for the Nitecore EA4-Resolved! Thanks Nitecore!!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there are several threads about this light now, but I do not think this info is in any of them. The owners manual for the light states you can use lithium AA's (Energizer L91) but it says the voltage on them is a nominal 1.5v. This is incorrect as these cells when new will measure over 1.7v. I was thinking about trying some NIZN rechargeable cells in one of mine, but these cells can get close to 1.8v hot off the charger. I do not want to make my light go :poof:so I thought I would ask this technical question here! The NIZN batteries have worked very well in other lights I own, so I thought I would see how they do on the EA4. Any thoughts on this or has anybody used cells like this in their light??

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Maximum input voltage for the Nitecore EA4

It is possible the circuit/driver is the same one used in the EC25. And if it is...the manual http://www.nitecore.com/UploadFile/Files/download/1-1_EC25_UM_EN.pdf claims it can be run on 2 rechargeable rcr123 ...voltage off two would be 4.2 x 2 = 8.4. Yours...1.8 x 4 = 7.2. So you might be fine. But that`s IF...So...what did Clint Eastwood say in that movie...

Myself, I would just run plain old AA rechargeables in it and stay safe.

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is possible the circuit/driver is the same one used in the EC25. And if it is...the manual http://www.nitecore.com/UploadFile/Files/download/1-1_EC25_UM_EN.pdf claims it can be run on 2 rechargeable rcr123 ...voltage off two would be 4.2 x 2 = 8.4. Yours...1.8 x 4 = 7.2. So you might be fine. But that`s IF...So...what did Clint Eastwood say in that movie...

Myself, I would just run plain old AA rechargeables in it and stay safe.

Thanks Badbeams! Logically it should work since it accepts lithiums. I also use these NIZN's in a cheap 4AA light I bought at Walmart a few months back and they work fine. Looks like I may have to email Nitecore to get a definite answer.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

For anybody that cares or is interested, I got a nice quick reply from Nitecore regarding my question regarding the input voltage to the EA4. Here is what they said:

hello sir,

thank you for your support.

ea4 can use the normal aa or the rechargeable aa battery in 1.5 v( new in
1.7v). but please dont use the rechargeable aa in 3.7 v. otherwise you will
burn your light.

regards
service

So it looks like it is OK using the 1.7v volt lithiums or my NIZN's!! :twothumbs

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I got home and loaded my 4 NIZN's, and the light will not even come on! tried several times but no go! Stuck my NIMH's back in and I was back in business! Apparently there is some sort of protection circuit if the voltage goes over a certain amount.

dougie

Enlightened

If there is a protection circuit that is great. However, as they said it would 'burn your light' to over supply it voltage wise I suspect something else happened to prevent it working with the 4 x NIZN's? Still, the good news is it still works! :)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would check out those batts one by one...does not sound right based on the info from Zebralight.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would check out those batts one by one...does not sound right based on the info from Zebralight.

They all check as 1.83v with a multitester.