opinions on E1e - pro/con

blacksmithtech

Newly Enlightened
I have the bug to get something like SF's E1e - Does anyone have a better suggestion? I want the small size/big output of SF - Is it worth the money? Is there a poor man's E1e out there?! I value the opinions on this forum, except the "buy all of them" suggestions - you guys can keep moving on to the next post!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the E1e, although I carry one with an LED head on it. Many guys really like the beam and output of the MN01 lamp, but I prefer the assurances of never having to worry about a busted lamp. If in the future, you decide to improve on the beam, you could always have it modded with a high dome luxeon. A good place to start would be with one of these, http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/flashlights%20main/surefire_kl1-ha.htm and one of these, http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/flashlights%20main/vitalgear_fb123.htm

Another good light is the Arc LS in one form or another. They are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. For $50-$60 you could get into an Arc second. Many here have commented on how satisfied they are with their Arc second. Personally, I'm a Surefire man.

If cost is no object, you could go for the E1e and get the KL1 for it, or just order the Arc LSH Premium.

Hope this helps.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1e is a great and handy light to have, esp with the option to use the KL1 LED head. You have to really see it to appreciate the size of it with either the normal LA or the KL1. Worth every cent of it esp if you can find a used/owned one in B/S/T!

Well, having said all that, what would you need the light for? Is there a specific purpose or is this just a 'flashaholic light binge'? If the latter, I'd say you can't go wrong with the E1e!

Another very underrated light I think is the UKE 2L. Almost indestructable, lightweight, waterproof and very good throw for its size, the only complaint i think so far is that the beam is a bit blotchy, but otherwise decent throw.

Otherwise something much cheaper but slightly bigger than the E1e would be a SL TwinTask 1L. Lots of happy campers in that camp as well I think!

unnerv

Enlightened
I just bought an e1 gunmetal this weekend at a gunshow for $35, so I couldn't pass it up for that price. I am not really a hotwire guy and have other smaller lights with 1 watters that blow it away, so it immediatly went on the chopping block, to get modded with a Luxeon 3 and Madmax wideopen. Way better now. The surefire reflector puts out a beautiful beam with a nice bright hotspot and plenty of room filling spill. While not my brightest, it definately has the best beam pattern, even better than my arc ls with Fraen LP. Definately a worthwhile mod.

DanM

Newly Enlightened
I have the Executive Package (L4 + E1e) from Tactical Warehouse. I also picked up a KL1 head. The E1e and E2e body is interchangeable with the L4's LED head or the KL1 head. As well as the non LED E2e and E1e heads. I find the
E1e to be a neat light, but an E2e is not much longer and
has a longer run time.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
with the MN01 it is too dim IMHO ... but as a McL4 or TW4 it rocks, as well as with the KL1 ...
bernhard

Blikbok

Enlightened
I EDC'd an E1(non-e) since it was introduced up until the KL1 head arrived. Since then, I put the MN01 back on... twice, to compare the output of the smallest Surefire to a Mag 2D. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I kept carrying the E1/KL1 it until a few months ago (Arc LSH-S).

The very tight beam of the E1 is near useless to *me*. See if you can score one with just an LED head, it's a much better light for working. Also, the F04 beamshaper is a nice touch to tame the hotspot at close range.