Best Car Glovebox Light?

Ned

Newly Enlightened
In thinking about the best light to keep in your car's glovebox (glove compartment) or elsewhere on board, I have come up with a few requirements:

• must be very bright to function in a roadside environment where there might be a mix of darkness punctuated by bright lights (headlights of passing cars).
• not too tight beam - because of the close range. Mostly used in and around the car to fix a flat, check under the hood, etc.
• must have legs... you could be stuck in the car (snowstorm, etc.) for as long as a few days, during which you would need the light to be on for a couple of hours a night - at full strength and without a battery change
• should be fault proof. This could be your lifeline... so it must be 100% reliable
• must be able to sit for years without being used... but then be ready for all the above when you need it (at the least Lithium batteries must be part of this requirement)
• would be nice if it didn't roll around when you lay it on the ground or the dash.

Any suggestions for other functional requirements?

Any suggestions for which lights would be best suited for these tasks?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
CMG infinity Ultra w Lithium AAs. Think it comes with a removable pocket clip too I think.

Arc AA is just as reliable and brighter as well...

Else a Opalec NewBeam on a minimag, dunno if it'll work with Lithiums as well though. You can get the NiteIze range of accessories among which there's a headband to hold the light, and also there's another one which holds the M*glite and has 4 individual 'wire legs' to position the light where you want it...

That apart, you may want to consider a Inova 24/7, runs on Lithium 123s, good for signalling for help or to warn other oncoming cars as well. ALso, you may need a brighter one for a little throw, in case... a UKE 2L or G2 makes a lightweight and durable backup spot light...

Just my RM$0.02 here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight TwinTask 2L is almost exactly what you are describing. It's a dual mode bright xenon semi-flood and 3-Led task light. In theory the lithium 123's will last 10 years and they will outpeform alkaline batteries in extreme cold. In practice you'll get a coupe of hours of bright light from the xenon bulb and umpteen hours of light from the 3 LED's.

I keep one of these in my glovebox along with a spare set of 123's.

Jon

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Take a look at the Electrolumens Anglelux or Blaster-1R...both have a runtime to 50% of max brightness of 24 hours on 2x"D" cells. The LW 4000 will give a weeks worth of light on 3x"D" cells. The Streamlight TT-3C has three output levels on 3x"C" cells giving runtimes to 50% max brightness of 32 hours, 20hours, or 4+ hours.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You are probably describing a StreamLight 2L Twin Task as has been mentioned. The LEDs for long life, the Xenon for fairly bright semi flood/throw.

You probably don't want a LW4000 or the Elektrolumens lights if years is important. Although any of them would be nice if you like yearly change the batteries.

On a similar note, the SL 4AA 7LED or 3C 10LED would be killer if you do battery maintenence!

I think a 4AA 7LED backed up by a bright 2L light (maybe Pelican M6? or UK 2L?) would be the ticket!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a Streamlight Twin Task 2L in the glovebox for general use and a Princeton-Tec Aurora LED headlamp in the trunk for working on the car and tire changing at night. Nice to have your hands free and the light pointing where you're looking.

BC

DanM

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Inova 24/7 in the glove box and a 3C twin task
under the seat. The 24/7 can be hung around your neck clipped to your back pocket if needed, it also has a magnet mount (as an accessory). If walking or changing a tire in traffic it could be a real life saver.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a small light that plugs into the cig-lighter or clips to the batt. It has a magnetic base but will stand on cement as well and swivels (such as to point at a tire while changing...leaving your hands free). One side is just a white light, the other blinks red and of course sticks to the car to warn others you are broke down should you have to leave the car for a long time. I think it cost about $5 bucks. I also would keep a flashlight with lithium batts in it in case you have to go walking for help. Maybe a SL 3 AA LS...but anything that runs on AA batts and would last through the night would work.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ned,

You might consider a combination of lights for your glove box.

I carry a LW4000 in my truck. It doesn't meet all of your requirements, but it works quite well. I put a piece of tape with the battery expiration date on it so I can keep track of when to replace batteries.

I also have a Streamlight Trident head lamp (LED and bulb) for more demanding hands free situations.

This combination covers most of my needs.

Tom

DaveT

Enlightened
Good question, good to see other people's ideas.
I've kicked around a few different configurations on this, but I've settled on a Minimag with Opalec in the glovebox, a Streamlight TT 2L under the driver's seat seat, and in the first aid kit, an Infinity Ultra with a Niteize headband. I'll be upgrading to lithium batteries in the AA lights soon as we approach winter, and have a few spare CR-123 and alkaline batteries, as well. Finally, I just picked up a single D-cell flasher at target - it has a base, a plastic tube that stands about 1 foot tall, and has a flashing red LED - for setting up behind a broken down car.

rlhess

Enlightened
Depending on where you live, I would only use lithiums.

I just had a set of alkaline C cells (Panasonic industrial) leak in a SL 3C LED after 8 months in the glove box.

I now have a pair of SL TL-3s in the car (3x123). One LED, one Lithium.

The SL TT 2L is a good choice for the long run time on the LEDs, but it is no where near as bright as the TL-3 incandescent.

Cheers,

Richard

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
I take the inexpensive and simple approach.

First off, we are flashaholics so there is no chance we will leave a light for years and find dead batteries, right? At least that is the case with me.

I have a PrincetonTek Attitude in the glovebox. 4 AAAs, 3 LED cluster, waterproof, bright flood pattern light, $25. All I have to do is change the batteries every year or two.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing with the Attitude is that you don't have serious firepower for those times when you're trying to change a tire on the side of the road and 18 wheelers with their high beams on keep ruining your night vision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I say this from experience unfortunately...

Jon

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with two lights. Lithiums are almost mandatory for this purpose.

First, a bright light. SF G2 or Pelican M6. M6 might be a bit better due to focusability.

Second, a long-run light. Minimag/opalec or infinity ultra/Arc AA.

Don't forget to pack spare cells!

DBrier

Enlightened
I have a TT 3C in the glovebox and an Infinity Ultra in my center armrest. I love my TT 3C, but the 2L would probably be better because of the more durable batteries and size.
My Subaru has a pretty big glovebox. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
I'm with Tyler, except my combo is a 6P (w/ a P61 bulb) and an inova 5XT (and 6 extra 123s).

6P is mounted within easy reach near base of shifter, 5XT is stored w/ other emergency supplies.

(of course there's almost always an ARC AAA on my keychain, and either a E1 or E2e in my pocket).

I still keep a 3D mag in my kit, used to keep only a 3D mag in my car and never had batteries spring a leak on me (although I feel better having upgraded to lithiums).

MichiganMan

Enlightened
I'm surprised no ones brought up Eternalights.

Ok, they're not cheap, but they make perfect glove compartment lights. First of all they're small enough to comfortably reside in the glove compartment without requiring ownership of the dang thing. With lithium batteries they'll stay good for years, and still have incredible runtimes: over 10 hours straight at peak output in an EliteMax with regulation turned on, more with it off.

Unlike several of the other lights suggested, you can easily adjust brightness for those map references in the car, or to further extend runtime. They're waterproof, drop proof, and won't roll. A handy magnet allows you to position it on the side of the car if you still have one with a steel body (Saturn here) And they have several signal modes that really don't have too much use unless you are stranded in a dead auto at night and need to catch the attention of passing motorists.

Shop around for better prices than can be found on Tech Assc's site.

Now, having said that, I carry a Lightwave 4000 in my car because besides being the kind of geek that schedules annual battery changes in my Palmpilot, my LW4k doesn't get much use otherwise, my Eternalight gets much more use in my house, and I still have a residual need left over from my Mag days to always have a bludgeon handy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeritall

Enlightened
The Inova 24/7 is an amazing little light. It can also function as hazard light (blinking red and yellow LEDs). The darn thing just doesn't look like a flashlight.