My most used, most reliable and best performing light ever!!

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've been on this forum. I must admit, since closing down my torch internet business: Cooltorches.com, my interest in all things relating to torches has wained a little.:( I have, up until recently, had a very positive experience here at Candlepowerforums.com The older, more established members here have shown great respect to myself and others and I appreciate this greatly.:thumbsup:

I have found that many of the reviews are posted by 'pros' who are given lights by manufacturers for review purposes. These reviews tend to be super detailed and professional in their presentation and are very satisfying to prospective buyers and current owners of these models of light. However, personally my most treasured reviews are by members who have had a light for a longer period. These reviews tend to be written in a less excited manner as the novelty has worn off a little. IMHO, they also tend to concentrate more on the practicalities of a light and focus less on asthetics and other less important aspects of light ownership.

As the years have gone by, I have found myself trading in and out of lights much less often. In the past 12 months, I've pretty locked in my core 'user' torch collection. These lights have proven 100% reliable over many, many hours of heavy use. They also have proven to pretty much faultless in their ability to 'do the job' with absolutely no niggles or other unexplained behaviour. Any light that even once doesn't do what it's supposed to do is instantly put aside by myself and branded 'unreliable'.:eek:

I know everyone has different lighting requirements. Different people expect different things of their lights.

I have found after purchasing many super throwers etc, I've settled for more floody styles of light for 'real world', regular use. Now don't get me wrong, I like a powerful throwy light, I just don't need to regularly see 1 KM into the distance on a regular basis.

Now to my most used, most treasured and most satisfying light in my stable:

The 'Darksucks' MCE warm tint 18650 light!!! Hand made by Jason and his team!!:twothumbs

Now many here will say, it's too big for a 18650 light. Others will say the MC-E emitter is outdated and has been superseded by the XM-L. You know what, I couldn't care less! This light has a 'perfect flood beam'. The MC-E emitter offers a completely smooth tint across the beam - no coloured rings here folks! The 3 speed driver with no flash modes is perfect for 100% of my uses. The light feels solid, the threads are butter smooth, the clip is McGizmo quality and the McClicky tailcap is soft touch and the button is recessed the perfect amount to allow for tailstanding but also allows for very easy access for the average sized thumb!!:)

Since this photo was taken, this light now has a much heavier pertina due to heavy use and now looks very different to when I received the light. The 'shelf queen' collectors probably wouldn't like their new, shiny light to show any signs of use but again, I don't baby this light, it gets very regular use!! I also never plan on selling the light so a petina isn't really an issue.

Since using this light in my workshop whilst working on my other hobby: "vintage 1970s-1980s boomboxes", it has done the job faultlessly and is thus my most treasured light.
If you haven't considered a DarkSucks light, they really are a great light. They don't rely on voltage meters, flash modes, numeric displays etc to be appealing to buyers. They do, however, offer a big heat sink, premium emitters, simple UI, a perfect artifact free beam, solid threads and a great clip that allows deep pocket carry and the ability to tail stand - perfect!!:twothumbs

Stick one of these things in your pocket, use it for a month and tell me you're not happy!!!

Thanks guys and sorry for boring you silly,

James.....:)

Alpha002.jpg

Last edited:

wonkycows

Newly Enlightened
I can honestly say that before today I'd never come across these lights. I've looked them up and I must say that they look like amazingly strong and well made little lights. Thanks for sharing.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the DS lights are nice looking and well made.

However, I would choose a cool tint, because warm tints just aren't my thing.
I like floody lights too, and I have been using Malkoff floods like the Wildcat for years.

Glad you are happy with your light!

slimshaneee

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one of his Prometheus alpha ready made lights and I could not be happier. Every single aspect of this light is top quality. I even noticed he soldered the springs that touch the battery.
I assume to make sure they don't scratch up your batteries over time.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Jimmy,
is that one of the Ready Made lights or one machined by Jason?

I looked at the site a while ago and think they look great.

It's made from aluminium and then nickelplated, right?

I would love to see a photo of your light as it lookes today after use.

What happens if it gets a hard sharp hit?
Will it chip like HA lights and leave bare alu or does it get a dent with intact plating?

nbp

Flashaholic
Nice little review Jimmy, I agree with every word. "Hands on use" reviews are my favorite too. And the Alpha is a heck of a light! I have been carrying mine for work since I got it and rotating other lights like a Clicky, Haiku, or Tri EDC alongside it. It's a just plain great user light, and the Ready Mades are a super deal for the quality you get. I'll second your stamp of approval. :thumbsup:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review Jimmy, long term reviews are very valuable. I also second your assesment of CPF. This light sounds a lot like my Electrolumens MCE EDC, only w multi-levels, which I would appreciate on that light.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Yes, it's the 4000K warm MC-E. The tint is not as warm as a high powered incan. It's a beam that makes things look warm and cozy but very close to 'real' if you know what I mean?!
It's very handy when you need to identify the colours of individual wires within a loom. On vintage stereos, when tracing the route of wiring, it's extremely important to correctly identify the colours of wiring. I find when using a cool tint light, the greys and blues can sometimes appear the same (to my eyes). I personaly have no such problem with the Alpha.

I've just taken a photo or two of the 'pertina' in daylight. It sort of has a 'flamed' look to it! The light has been dropped more than once from a max height of around 1 metre. There are no noticable nicks to the finish. I'm not sure on the grade of hardness of the aluminium body but it does seem pretty hard compared with some other anno lights I have around here. The black anno lights seem to show damage much more readily. It looks perfectly in place sitting beside my other tools. With the pertina, it looks like something Snap-on made.

You will notice that it was starting to rain when I took the photos. Those are small water droplets can be seen on the body.
Darksucks003.jpg

The Alpha in its' element::thumbsup:
Darksucks005.jpg

Last edited:

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Very nice!
I agree with your point of view - that usefulness and performance trump features, specs and technology - and appreciate the review.
I've been waffling on one of Jason's lights. It would become the most expensive in my collection. Mostly, though, I don't trust myself (and my family) with Li-Ions and have been sticking to primaries - which he recommends against in his lights.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't be too worried about the dangers of Lithium Ion cells. I have only used AWs and Eagletac cells over the past 7 years. I have had zero issues over that time. One of my kids actually put two of my 18500s in my Ultrafire charger backwards over night and guess what? Nothing happened. I charged them the next day and they have been performing perfectly ever since. I think as long as you go with 'protected' cells, you will be fine.

James....:)
Very nice!
I agree with your point of view - that usefulness and performance trump features, specs and technology - and appreciate the review.
I've been waffling on one of Jason's lights. It would become the most expensive in my collection. Mostly, though, I don't trust myself (and my family) with Li-Ions and have been sticking to primaries - which he recommends against in his lights.

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Thanks for the pic and review.
It looks rally nice with that patina.
I don't need a new light and I have decided to try to go more for NiMh powered lights but this is tempting.