Advice please - charger vs. batts vs. user?

AmyAlex

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I hope I'm in right place. I searched and couldn't find an answer.... I was hoping to pick some brains if I may. I have lurked on this forum and have enjoyed reading/learning. That is, until I become overwhelmed with the level of technical expertise and detail causing my unworthy brain to explode.
:)

I bought a pila charger 12/27 to charge my panasonic cgr18650 (2250mah) batteries. And a couple 18350's. I use them for my electronic cigarette. I also have nitecore intellicharger which is fine but I fell for the hype of the pila.

Pila was working well and seemed to charge faster than nitecore. But all of sudden on one of the bays the lights went out. But when I put a batt in, it turned red like it was charging. So i left it. And it turned green later, so I pulled it off and put it in my "charged" case. Later I realized that battery was now dead.
Unfortunately I put another batt in that bad bay. It couldnt have been my brand new charger causing battery to die! It will be fine i thought. And as soon as I took it off when light turned green, it was also a goner. Grrrr.. Hmmm, maybe there is a cause/effect here.. (Did I mention unworthy brain?)

I went out and bought a multi meter. One batt tested at 0 and other at 1.17 and decreases fast with leads on. Is it called sleep mode? They can't recover can they? Why called sleep instead of just dead?

Could the pila have put my batts to sleep? What could have happened to charger (internally) to cause the batteries to do this? id love to try and understand? How/why would a charger discharge instead of charge? And why would it give green light then?

Is there anyway i can tell/test before i send the charger back to seller? What are odds that both batteries were Duds? Note: batteries were purchased 12/24 ($22 - $27 with s/h) I never discharge below 3.5 (my device shuts off at 3.5).

Im sure I'll have to eat the $27 (not happy about it), but I'd like to learn something from this so it doesn't happen again! Did I do something wrong? Or not do something? Of course the pila seller says it's hard to say that the charger is at fault for discharging my batteries. Then is it my fault? scratching head....

sorry for long first post. If you are still reading, thank you. And I appreciate your time to share any thoughts/insight.
Amy