Cave Ready EA4 Flashlight

dparr

Newly Enlightened
In order to get my EA4 ready to go caving I needed to do a few things to make it cave worthy.

1. Protect the lens
2. Protect the the button
3. A neck/wrist lanyard
4. Anti-roll

I searched around the house and found this:

l.jpg

A measuring cup that comes with a lot of powered drinks.

It was a bit too large for the EA4 head but it was something to work with.

I cut the handle down, rounded the edges, sanded the inside lettering off and drilled a hole in the handle stub.

l.jpg

I then took a 3/8 inch strip of industrial strength Velcro (the fuzzy side) and stuck it inside the outer edge of the cup. That made it fit pretty well, but it could still come off if knocked around

To make it stay put, I stuck a small oval piece of the receiving end of the Velcro on the opposite side of the button. I stuck it to where the Velcro on the cup only catches half of oval.

l.jpg

I then attached a piece of shoelace from the cup to the lamp. Now I had a lens protector, anti-roll and a button protector.

A added benefit was the great diffuser that it made. Just pull it up about an inch and watch it glow.
With the cup pushed all the way on it makes a great walking light. To see farther just pull the cup off.

l.jpg

I got a half inch, three foot long piece of tubular webbing from REI and used a one inch split car-key ring to attach it to the tail of the lamp.

l.jpg

I then made a slip-ring out of a coathanger so I would have a wrist lanyard.

l.jpg

Now if only the EA4 will be able to handle the bumps and knocks and the cave environment.

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a cramped cave or one of those giant ones? I would feel more comfortable having a backup with moonlight mode if I went in a cramped cave.

Take pictures!

Jeff

dparr

Newly Enlightened
Is it a cramped cave or one of those giant ones? I would feel more comfortable having a backup with moonlight mode if I went in a cramped cave.

Take pictures!

Jeff

I got the EA5 to look for hidden passages in the big Tennesee caves that I explore.

l.jpg

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
Great job - I like it! A few days ago I grabbed the translucent cap off a pump tube of toothpaste to try, but it was just too big.

That cave looks just a little bigger than the squeeze-tubes I occasionally worm around in.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job - I like it! A few days ago I grabbed the translucent cap off a pump tube of toothpaste to try, but it was just too big.

That cave looks just a little bigger than the squeeze-tubes I occasionally worm around in.

You didn't see the people at first either, did you?