Lidl 3W cree; which rechargeables to use?

TacticalTimbo

Newly Enlightened
Bought a small 2x1.5V AA Cree torch from Lidl, and wondered what, if any, rechargeable batteries would be okay? From what I've been reading, li-ions would be a no go, as being 3.7v they'd probably fry the LED immediately?

Reading discussions talking about the use of NIMH and eneloops, I have to say I got a bit lost... Could somebody possibly advise, if either of these would be suitable; I'm thinking of cost reductions more than output?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Lidl light and feed mine on Eneloop or any similar type ready to use battery.No issues and none were expected either.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 2aa light would be using a boost circuit anyway so NiMh should be fine. The only time you would get problems is with high powered resistor drive lights e.g. LED lenser x21 where the much lower internal resistance of NiMh means that the LEDs are actually getting more voltage compared to alkalines despite the lower open circuit voltage rating.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops are quite good for cost reduction. I haven't tested to see how mine fare in a 0C night, but I am told that their performance suffers as the cell falls below 0C. Kept in a pocket I have no trouble keeping the cells at a performing temperature.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops are quite good for cost reduction. I haven't tested to see how mine fare in a 0C night, but I am told that their performance suffers as the cell falls below 0C. Kept in a pocket I have no trouble keeping the cells at a performing temperature.

Just carry spares in a warm pocket never a problem,thinking about it i have a torch in the car and here at night the temp is minus at the moment but i used it tonight and it was fine.