New Nitecore EA8 - "Caveman" - really?

Dubois

Enlightened
Although it isn't released yet, the video posted here shows (at around 4min 40 sec) the new EA8 from Nitecore.

Nice looking light - I have the EA4 on order - but I'm concerned that the, presumably, pre-production models are also named "Caveman".

I already have a Caveman light, and a very good one it is too, from Shiningbeam in New York. It is pretty shameful for Nitecore to hijack a name already well known to many members of this forum.

There was a fuss when Sunwayman used the Torpedo name for their C10R last year, but that was settled seemingly amicably - lets hope Nitecore can also do the decent thing now.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it isn't released yet, the video posted here shows (at around 4min 40 sec) the new EA8 from Nitecore.

Nice looking light - I have the EA4 on order - but I'm concerned that the, presumably, pre-production models are also named "Caveman".

I already have a Caveman light, and a very good one it is too, from Shiningbeam in New York. It is pretty shameful for Nitecore to hijack a name already well known to many members of this forum.

There was a fuss when Sunwayman used the Torpedo name for their C10R last year, but that was settled seemingly amicably - lets hope Nitecore can also do the decent thing now.

I would be careful what you say many of these companies are starting to sue writers.Your words on the internet can be read by millions.

Dubois

Enlightened
I'm not quite sure how what I have said could be subject to litigation. Even though Bryan at Shingbeam hasn't registered the name, it's still bad form to use the name of another light.

I actually just tried to use the contact form on their website to mention this to Nitecore, but couldn't get past the captcha - which is odd, since it's simply 4 numbers.

Their contact page is just along from the "Social Responsibility" section of their website.:grin2:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I´m a member here for almost 7 years now and shinigbeam never interested me. Therefore I didn´t know they used the name "Caveman" for a light already. Personally I don´t see why it should be a problem if two completely different type of lights have the same name. Didn´t really understand the fusss about the Sunwayman Torpedo either. Especially since Sunwyman called their C20C "Tomahwak" which was used by FirstLight for one of their lights already and nobody around here seemed to care (at least not that I noticed).

On the other hand I personally think these names a pretty dumb sometimes. Caveman being on of those ;) and unfortunatelly the other interesting nitecore light in the mentioned video, the SRT-7, too (it´s called revenger iirc).

Eric

Last edited:

Dubois

Enlightened
..... I don't see why it should be a problem if two completely different type of lights have the same name.

Err, one's a 2xAA flashlight, the other is a 8xAA flashlight. Completely different?

tam17

Enlightened
Chinese companies generally tend to have rather "loose" understanding of intellectual property, examples of this are posted all around the forum. Even if original names were already registered, I doubt that new users bothered to do a simple google search.

Cheers

JDest

Newly Enlightened
Since Nitecore obviously isn't attempting to copy Shiningbeam's design or parameters this is basically a non-issue. These two lights are completely different, and have different intended uses, regardless of what a company like Apple would say. Besides, Apple probably isn't the best company use in a moral argument, successful though they may be.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
8406253824_027b5063ee.jpg

"So easy, even a caveman can use it."

Last edited:

Racer

Enlightened
I would be careful what you say many of these companies are starting to sue writers.Your words on the internet can be read by millions.

Care to cite any specific examples which you think apply here?

tam17

Enlightened

I better contact my lawyer. Few of the China Guangdong's elite flashlight companies may already be after my a#$, LOL :p

Dubois

Enlightened
Since Nitecore obviously isn't attempting to copy Shiningbeam's design or parameters this is basically a non-issue. These two lights are completely different, and have different intended uses, regardless of what a company like Apple would say. Besides, Apple probably isn't the best company use in a moral argument, successful though they may be.

I don't think Sunwayman's C10R "Torpedo" was too much like MIB's original Torpedo either, but SWM realised they had offended, and put things right. How completely different are two lights - both are aluminium tubes with a battery, a switch and a LED that produces light.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you Dubois, there are plenty of names, find one that's not already in use.

The other thing that's not right with this name is that, other than diving, caving is probably the most abusive activity you can use a light for. I doubt this light would hold up too long if used for caving.

Thrifty

Last edited:

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
I'm with you Dubois, there are plenty of names, find one that's not already in use.

The other thing that's not right with this name is that, other than diving, caving is probably the most abusive activity you can use a light for. I doubt this light would hold up too long if used for caving.

Thrifty
And no doubt this useful assessment is based upon weeks of real world use...