LX2 vs E2L

RatDrall

Newly Enlightened
I got a number of Surefire lights starting 10 years ago, then stopped buying 5 years ago. I ended up with a Surefire 6P, a pair of G2s, and a pair of E2D Defenders. I carried one of the G2s quite a bit, but it was too big. Then I started carrying the E2D, but it tore my pants up so I stopped carrying it after a short time. My lights basically sat for the last few years. I dug them out the other day, and after playing around went online to read about the new Surefires and couldn't believe how efficient the new LEDs are. Even the 320 lumen Z2X last 2.5 hours on a pair of batteries, way better than the hour or so the G2 or 6P incandescent lights lasted.

I ordered an LX2 and an E2L. I opened the LX2 up and have been wearing it for the last few days, and I freaking love it. It doesn't look like it will cut my pocket up, the 3/4" tube is easy to wear, the pocket clip works awesome bezel down, and I dig the HA finish. I especially like the 2 mode tailcap, it is very natural to operate, and I like the reliability of having a twist option in case the button fails when I need it. This is the best light I've ever handled, well worth the money.

I haven't removed the other E2L from the packaging yet. I'm pretty sure I'll keep the E2L, and use it day to day for the 100 hour battery life (3 lumens is enough for 99% of my needs). The only thing keeping me from ripping it open now is the clicky only tailcap - I like the twist option as well. I'm considering returning it and upgrading to the LX2 and keep the second as a spare.

Are the new tailcaps better than my 8 year old E2D?

What would you do?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

I would keep it. The 50+ lumens for 6 hours is outstanding. The E2L is my favorite camp light. I put a Z68 shrouded tailcap on mine and it really balances it out. I wasn't a fan of the clicky switch at first but I accept it now. They complement each other very well.

kelmo

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
LX2 is indeed a good light, just got mine, moderate throw
Tailcap set to 10-15 degrees before const low, low mode comes with no effort
smiley20.gif

But high requires a larger force, i prefer twisting it for const mode, twist 180 degree more than const low
However do yours have a large gap on bezel(~1mm) and bolded engravings?
Mine came with a black paint stained tailcap:shakehead

Compare with my E2DL, i would suggest LX2 for general purpose since i realised that sometimes i need a clicky with Hi-first
Are the tooth that sharp? i had three defender and none of them torn my pants:D:laughing:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the LX2 interface is my favorite for edc. depending on the size of your hands you might want to check out the now discontinued L1 series, which uses a single cr123. i have medium sized hands and the L1 fits like a glove, but when i handed my L1 to a friend with large size hands, it almost disappeared in his fist.
theres also the new EB1 with dual stage momentary switch. the Aviator series also uses the same functioning tailcap.

the E2L is another great light, i have an E1L and E2L-AA. same interface, but different battery configuration, and theyre just overall really solid general use lights.

dont give up on your 6P and G2s, i still use my G2 with p60 lamp all the time. great thing about those lights is that theyre highly customizable. plenty of different parts from many different makers. breath new life into your G2 and 6P with a malkoff drop-in.

Last edited:

RatDrall

Newly Enlightened
Alright I opened up the E2L, and after taking a long walk in the dark, I like the dimmer 3 lumen mode of the E2L more than the 15 lumen low mode of the LX2. It's just bright enough to see whatever it is I need to see for a ways, and the brighter mode lights up objects farther away when needed.

Now I want an E1L....

mbw_151

Enlightened
The older E1L is a little lower output on high 45 lumens for 4 hours vs 60 lumens for 6 hours on the E2L. Both lights have the same great 3 lumen low. The newer E1L is 85 lumens on high, basically the same as the E2L AA. The E1L is easier to pocket, the E2L easier to hold. The E1L can be clipped to a cap as a headlamp, but the beam pattern is a little narrow. A great accessory for all these E series lights is the F04 diffuser. It makes close work much more pleasant. I would try and find an older 45/3 lumen E1L to pair with the LX2. I'm pairing one with my 6PX Pro (15/320 lumens) and very happy with the setup. The only thing missing is a sub-lumen ultra low.