How do you make your lights more visible? Less sharp?

tubed

Enlightened
The one thing I'm not too keen on about my high quality lights is their blackness. As someone who uses them for recreational purposes I really want to locate them quickly in the dark or in a bag. Also, as a boater, I worry that dropping my Nitecore MH25 (or others) could leave a nice ding.
I've been trolling CPF for ideas and seen or heard a few things in passing. The nicest were the brightly colored lanyard-style wraps on the "show us your home made lanyard" thread.
That seems beyond my capabilities.
Other ideas? Here's what i've seen mentioned
-GITD tape or other coloed tape (?duct tape)
-O- rings
-?paint , nail polish
I don't want to ruin my lights but I want to do something

I'd love to hear your ideas

tam17

Enlightened
GITD o-rings, trits, signal coloring (spray paint, custom cerakote, whatever). Or get a light with ultra-low locator mode, or a flashing locator LED.

Cheers

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
Go to your local electrical supply house and take your light with you. Buy a section of shrink tubing that will slip over the grip. You can get it in all kinds of colors. I use this not for visability but to insulate the aluminum against cold for lights I use outdoors in the winter. Spend all day on a deer stand and then carry that aluminum light back to the truck and it will freeze your fingers. I buy black to match the light but no reason you could not buy colors to make it more visable. Looks better and lasts longer than wrapping with tape.

tubed

Enlightened
thanks a lot for both those ideas. they sound good.
Tam17 - any suggestions on where to get o-rings?
skeeterbait - would they have that at a homedepot-like store? Is it just called "shrink tubing"?

tam17

Enlightened
Tam17 - any suggestions on where to get o-rings?

Check out selling threads at the CPF Market Place (use forum search function). O-rings are also available from various online vendors.

Cheers

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
any suggestions on where to get o-rings?
skeeterbait - would they have that at a homedepot-like store? ?

I bought an O-ring assortment in the plumbing department at Home Depot. The assortment contains O-rings which fit the outside of my flashlights to improve grip, but probably won't fit the internal O-rings used to weatherproof lights.

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
Usually they don't have it in big enough diameter need to go to an electrical supply store. Yes it is called shrink tubing. It shrinks 50% in diameter when heated a little. Usually best done with a heat gun but some pistol style hair dryers get hot enough. Don't use a flame as it can be melted if not careful.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Tritium fobs work the best, as they glow in the dark for ~ 20 years or so with no exposure to light.

After that, I use GITD O-Rings I get from the GITD Glow ring thread on CPFM...I get the ~ 1" ones, which can even stretch over 2-3" sections. I don't replace the function O-rings on the light, I simply slip a few on the bezel and barrel areas so that the length of the light is glowing.

If you hit the light with another light (I use a UV light), it makes them glow very strongly and very easy to find in pitch blackness.

MD-Lightsource has GITD lanyards that work great too...so just clip a lanyard to the light, and you ar less likely to lose it from dropping, AND its now easy to find in the dark...find the lanyard, and pull the light out, etc. You get the lanyard for free with order of lights IIRC, or they are a few bucks by themselves, etc.

:D

tubed

Enlightened
thanks Teej
I, too, will probably just use them on the outside of the light. I like the fact that they're good for both visualizing and will cusion it a bit if dropped.
you just answered my next question too... how much can they be stretched.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay my industry this.

You should find an o ring in a pro box that will fit.

rsoringbox.png

If not make your own,it is easy to do.

oringsplice.png

Save the expense of buying a kit by nipping into your local garage,they all have one or should have.

Shrink wrap can be done using a flame,much quicker than a heat gun,all our supplied kits are complete with a gas lighter. Most shrink has a 2:1 reduction but we sell a grey one that goes down 3:1 with added adhesive.

On the pic you will notice a gitd film.

mxdl2.jpg

This works a treat and after experiment found that this film approx £5 per A4 is by far the best for retaining the light far longer than the budget variants.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Tritium is the only guaranteed way to see your light when nothing else is visible; get a keychain/fob model that attaches to the lanyard on your light, presto, a light you can always find with absolutely no modifications to it.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium is the only guaranteed way to see your light when nothing else is visible; get a keychain/fob model that attaches to the lanyard on your light, presto, a light you can always find with absolutely no modifications to it.

The film I use lasts for hours once it has been exposed to light,it is equally as good as a key fob that cost a few £pounds that I bought.The film I have is sold in the main to help the aged to find light switches at night.

Perhaps the film has Tritium in its manufacture.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The film I use lasts for hours once it has been exposed to light,it is equally as good as a key fob that cost a few £pounds that I bought.The film I have is sold in the main to help the aged to find light switches at night.

Perhaps the film has Tritium in its manufacture.

Nope.

Tritium doesn't need to be exposed to light, it generates it by itself, like a firefly. :D

Tritium is a GAS....so it would not be "in" an adhesive pad or film, etc. Its in a capsule, protected by - typically, an acrylic shell, and sometimes a metal cage around it.

I keep work lights in a box, or my pocket, so they are in the dark most of the time. If I NEED a light, its ALSO probably dark, so, GITD stuff doesn't get too much light on it to initially charge it.

A GITD film is great, but, not much different from the O-Rings. I mentioned I charge them with another UV light to get them glowing.

If a light is left behind in a dark crawlspace for example, laying in the dirt...and I realize days later, or even the next day, that I left it behind, by the time I return, the GITD is just too dark.

A tritium fob will still be brightly glowing though, and act as a beacon to guide me back to the light.

As GITD O-Rings are dirt cheap, I use them on EVERYTHING...as they improve the grip, and help me see where I put stuff. Tritium fobs are, relative to the rings, expensive, perhaps $10 each or so for good ones....but I can EASILY take a fob off one light and swap it to another if need be. I rarely use more than a dozen lights at a time (OK, sometimes...), so a dozen fobs covers most occasions. (I have more than a dozen fobs though...)

$10 for a fob to keep from losing a light might seem like a lot, but, when the lights are dedomed SR90's, Fenix TK70's, DEFT's and VPT Turbo's, etc...that's cheap insurance considering the replacement costs for the lights.

A perfect example was a lambda light I really liked, and, one day, I could not find it ANYWHERE. I was going crazy trying to remember the last time I used it, where I might have left it, etc. I convinced myself I had left it at one of the sites I had inspected and went back, and looked all over, asked around, etc....nada. :(

A YEAR later, I needed an insulated bag to put drinks in, and went into the garage to get one.....and noticed a strange glow coming from one bag. It was the fob from the Lambda...and the light was inside a side pocket. I had slipped the light into the side pocket a year ago, as my hands were full, and never transferred it to where it normally lived...and it sat there all that time. If I had gone to get a bag in day light, I probably STILL would not have found that damn Lambda. I had already bought ANOTHER one though, so I have two versions.

:D

Adhesive taped on patches, or slipped over GITD rings, take a few minutes to put on/off...relatively, a lot more work....but are cheap enough to allow them to stay on.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I had to do was go to Lighthound.com and buy their extremely bright glow in the dark paracord, and I wrap square/box paracord lanyards using 1 length of the GITD paracord and 1 length of some other color so its bi-colored. Then I tie the lanyard to my lights and simply leave them near a lamp or in the sunlight, so after dark they stick out like the biggest, sorest thumb you can imagine! This stuff glows VERY bright and it glows for several hours too! So its always simple to find my lights in the dark.

Also, there's simple video instructions on how to tie a cool, inexpensive paracord lanyard at Youtube. The box and round lanyards look very nice and its easy to figure out how to tie them, and it costs about maybe $1 apiece for a nice GITD lanyard with a little GITD plastic skull bead keeping the 2 paracord lengths together.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Nope.

Tritium doesn't need to be exposed to light, it generates it by itself, like a firefly. :D

<snip>

As GITD O-Rings are dirt cheap, I use them on EVERYTHING...as they improve the grip, and help me see where I put stuff. Tritium fobs are, ... perhaps $10 each or so for good ones....but I can EASILY take a fob off one light and swap it to another if need be. I rarely use more than a dozen lights at a time (OK, sometimes...), so a dozen fobs covers most occasions. (I have more than a dozen fobs though...)

TEEJ,
Where do you get your FOBs at that price? I see them in the $50-$70 price range. At $10 each I'd definitely get some.

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
I bought some nice tritium markers from a guy on Ebay in Great Britain for about $13 USD. Vendor is CBMC* and he has several colors. Seems like there was someone on the CPF MarketPlace selling them a while back also.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
TEEJ,
Where do you get your FOBs at that price? I see them in the $50-$70 price range. At $10 each I'd definitely get some.

+1 Even Bart sells tritium vials for more than that.

I just ordered some BeadBombs. If you act fast enough you might be able to get some. Toby says he might not make anymore for the rest of the year.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 1 inch lights, some thin bike handlebar grips might work :) Bought some from amazon and it looks great on my hound dog. Higly visible and not that cold for my finger now in winter time :)
img0118fm.jpg

[h=1][/h]