AA Extender for Sunwayman M11r Sirius

rlichter

Newly Enlightened
Battery Junction sells a titanium AA extender for the Sunwayman V10r Ti which, according to the person I spoke with, will not fit the Sirius. They sell an extender that will fit, but it's made of black anodized aluminum. Do you know of an AA extender made of titanium that will fit the Sirius? Will an AA rattle around very much in a battery tube designed for a CR123? More importantly, can an alkaline cell be used safely in a flashlight designed for lithium cells? And if so, what sort of runtime/brightness performance is to be expected? Thanks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Battery Junction sells a titanium AA extender for the Sunwayman V10r Ti which, according to the person I spoke with, will not fit the Sirius. They sell an extender that will fit, but it's made of black anodized aluminum. Do you know of an AA extender made of titanium that will fit the Sirius? Will an AA rattle around very much in a battery tube designed for a CR123? More importantly, can an alkaline cell be used safely in a flashlight designed for lithium cells? And if so, what sort of runtime/brightness performance is to be expected? Thanks.

According to SWM website, voltage range is 0.9-4.2v, so alkaline cells (1.5v) will "work". Max output on AA is not listed, but likely to be significantly less. At a 1000mA current draw, most lithium CR123A will have about 1500mAh, while most alkaline AA will have about 1000mAh. AA diameter is approximately 14mm, versus about 16mm for CR123A (leaving a 1mm gap all around). There are "sleeves" available which can fill this gap. But ... alkys leak :eek:

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen a photo of the Ti AA extender installed on a Sirius. Search for the biggest thread here on the Sirius and you'll see it.

wolfeeh

Newly Enlightened
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the purpose of the extender was twofold. 1. To extend and 2. To reduce the bore diameter.

An AA battery is 50mm long or thereabouts and 14mm in diameter. A CR123 is 34mm long and 16mm in diameter. Thus the naming convention for the lithium-ion chemistries of these battery form-factors. 14500 is equivalent to AA and 16340 is CR123.

Therefore it's not a case of an AA battery just "rattling" around in the barrel... Without the extender it physically won't fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, that's precisely how it works for most of them (like on my JB RRT-0) .... Since I don't know the exact details of this particular torch, though, I was just speaking generally.

tatteredmidnight

Newly Enlightened
I have both adapters =).

They do indeed reduce the diameter and extend the body. They are thread compatible also, so if one fits, the other will. Hope this helps.

I don't have a Sirius but I do have a v11r and a v10r Ti+. Both fit either.

-- Adam

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Sirius and V10r Ti, Ti extender fits both. No rattling because the extender itself has a narrower inner diameter.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Works fine with AA and 14500 and extender. See the other thread you posted in.

rlichter

Newly Enlightened
According to SWM website, voltage range is 0.9-4.2v, so alkaline cells (1.5v) will "work". Max output on AA is not listed, but likely to be significantly less. At a 1000mA current draw, most lithium CR123A will have about 1500mAh, while most alkaline AA will have about 1000mAh. AA diameter is approximately 14mm, versus about 16mm for CR123A (leaving a 1mm gap all around). There are "sleeves" available which can fill this gap. But ... alkys leak :eek:

Sunwayman does not provide any parameters for performance with an AA alkaline for either the Sirius or the Ti+, which are spec'd at maximum 160lm/2hrs and 190lm/1.5hrs respectively, running a CR123. Based on the battery specs you state (1500mAh for CR123), at these brightness levels the Ti+ will draw around 0.75 ampere (1.5/0.75 = 2) and the Sirius will draw around 1.0 ampere (1.5/1 = 1.5). So, if an AA alkaline supplies 1000hAh, it will last (very) approximately 1.33 hour and 1 hour respectively. Of course these calculations are probably quite inaccurate; cells supply different mAh at different current draws (as you note). Does anyone have any experience running either light on an AA alkaline, and are the actual run times anywhere near to the times I calculated?

Last edited: