What is the brightest 2*AA light for 2013?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,
I havent been up to date as in the past. I have now a bunch of Tenergy AA NiMH cells and no AA size lights.

What is the brightest 2*AA light for 2013?

Are we at 400 Lumens yet?

Thank you,
BigC

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the Foursevens Quark AA2-X still holds that record. Spec'd at 280, but according to Selfbuilt's lumen scale, tested at 420 before 3 min stepdown.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with FourSevens. Not really a big fan of their products but I do love the feel of the AA2 XM-L. Mine is the neutral white version bought during the last limited run. The generous knurling and light weight makes it a joy to hold in my hand. The simple UI is easy to use as I personally dislike any lights that uses a side switch to change modes and output.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't look like Selfbuilt has reviewed a lot of 2AA lights lately. Most of the 2AA lights he has reviewed are XPGs, not XML lights. So the XPGs may not be a lot brighter, but they do have quite a bit of throw for their class. I find the Quark XML too greenish, so a Neutral White XMLT5 would be better, which would not be that much brighter than an XPG2. Eagletac's XMLU2 Cool White is a nice pure white.

The first two Eagletac's are not specifically on Selfbuilts chart.

Eagletac D25A2 XM-L U2
Eagletac D25A2 XP-G2 R5
Nitecore EA2 XP-G R5

8418803132_612b044188.jpg

MT2A-FL1-Summary.gif

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Howdy Neighbor/BigC. I have a TerraLUX LS300; the manufacturer claims 300 lumens. And I have a Shining Beam (out of Brooklyn) Caveman XML-T6 rated at 290 lumens...

cyclesport

Enlightened
Crelant has the V21A (XM-L U2) AA light claiming a 450 lumen max. I have one (long story, but Crelant gave/sent it to me for problems I had with a V31A switch). Mine is actually a U3 binned light that I haven't yet seen for sale and it is a very bright floody light that easily holds it's own w/known lights I have in the 500/700 lumen range. Build quality is in budget light territory, and quite long for a 2 X AA light... but does have a very nice beam pattern free of artifacts and rings.

mayo

Newly Enlightened
Thumbs up to the nitecore ea2. Have had one for a couple of weeks. I really like the throw.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it looks like the PD22-G2 version is coming out. Based off of the other thread where somebody pointed out in the photo it actually appears that it WILL be using the xp-g2 emitter I'll go ahead and wager it probably will be the brightest small 2 aa light around. We'll have to see if it beats 2aa xm-l lights, but It will have more throw for sure so is already better in my opinion.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it looks like the PD22-G2 version is coming out. Based off of the other thread where somebody pointed out in the photo it actually appears that it WILL be using the xp-g2 emitter I'll go ahead and wager it probably will be the brightest small 2 aa light around. We'll have to see if it beats 2aa xm-l lights, but It will have more throw for sure so is already better in my opinion.

Best to wait and see the first review and then we will know if it is better.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
The EagleTac P20A2 is still my go-to-guy in 2xAA format.

There's a lot to like with this one: LED drop-ins available, diffuser + color filters, very tough, great clicky and the reflector is quite a bit larger than with most 2xAA lights. All in all a decent option for someone looking for 2xAA.

Recently upgraded the XM-L to an XP-G2 and while it's very slightly brighter on XM-L, it definitely looks brighter with some more throw with the XP-G2.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

No. The LD22 XPG2 box says : "Max 210 lumens"
It also doesn't have much throw either.
And it's not the smallest, it practically the biggest.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the Foursevens Quark AA2-X still holds that record. Spec'd at 280, but according to Selfbuilt's lumen scale, tested at 420 before 3 min stepdown.

This Foursevens Quark AA2-X looks like the way to go.

I was skeptical I would see a 400 plus lumen 2xAA light but definitely happy to see it.

Thank you
bigC

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
This Foursevens Quark AA2-X looks like the way to go.

I was skeptical I would see a 400 plus lumen 2xAA light but definitely happy to see it.

Thank you
bigC

You should still be skeptical ;-)

Please be aware that "400 plus lumens" is actually a matter of interpretation and definition, and that Selfbuilt himself disclaims his lumen scale to be ANSI accurate or official. His review site indicates that he is using a "best fit" line with a variety of manufacturers, and so if many of those included manufacturers are overstating, so too are his estimates. The important point, which Selfbuilt stresses, is that his numbers are consistent across his tests and so make the lights comparable on a relative basis, and with which I agree.

I'm also measuring my lights with a light meter and using a "best fit line" but since I mostly own lights from what appears to the "conservative lumen scale manufacturers" (Foursevens, Eagletac, and Thrunite), then I find my lights from these companies to be merely true to spec, and all my Zebralights are significantly overstated. While Selfbuilt's results are the reverse of mine (ZL true to spec, FS,ET,TN understated - at least in the AA class), simply due to different lumen scales, my results are consistent with his on a relative basis.

Having said all that, this reminds me that there may be one to beat the QAA2-X... the Eagletac D25A2-XML clicky. Again, being a "conservative scale" company the light is rated 277 lumens OTF, same as the Quark. However, using the same emitter/driver/voltage head, Selfbuilt rated the D25C-XML clicky at 450 lms, which is also the brightest CR123 he's tested, btw. Not sure if there's a big internal resistance difference between 3V from a CR123 and 2xAA.

FWIW, I have both in 1xAA versions and the Quark meters brighter, not to mention ability to Lego different battery tubes, take Li-ions with full regulation, and having a US-based HQ & customer service location. But the ET has very nice UI with buried disco modes and ability to go back down to low.

Last edited: