What is the cheapest 1W light out there?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well.. there's that *Streamlight* Luxeon you have there..

there's the CMG Reactor 3.. which is the same price..

for $45 you can get a BadBoy drop-in module for a Minimag..

for $25 you can get the Intretech White drop-in module for a Minimag..

for $30 you can get a Tektite PR style Luxeon that can go into any 2 or 3 cell PR based light..

these are the only "cheap" Luxeons i can think of.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CMG Reactor uses 2 AA and sells for $27...the Reactor 3 sell for $36...the Streamlight 3AA LS sells for $36 as well.

I have my opinion as to which is best...but I`ll let others comment. You need to correct your post...the link is to a Streamlight not Surfire...bound to get folk all exited, then let down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

unclearty

Enlightened
Right now...under Dealer's Corner...Batterystation is selling CMG Reactors for $15. I have one..with lithium AA s in it..it's not bad...good flood..a little of the "cat urine" green...but hey? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I wonder how the Illumi-lux stacks up against the others? Never seen a comparison. Might be the one to beat of the low priced LS`s.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Illuma-Lux isn't a bright spot beam, but rather a nice smooth even flood. It will still let you light up tree tops way up though. I've found mind to be VERY usefull for all kinds of up close work and walking around at night. It will light up rooms inside a building very "smoothly" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LightScene

Enlightened
Ive seen the CMG Reactor 3 for $27. Just google it.
The Reactor 3 is an excellent walking light. It has a smooth beam, not a spot beam like the Streamlight 3AA. The Streamlight seems brighter overall.
The Reactor is smaller and lighter than the Streamlight, so it's easy to fit it in a jacket pocket or pants pocket.
I prefer the Reactor 3.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
The Reactor is the best light i've seen so far - light and cheap. The Tri-Star 3x3W looks soo damn sexy though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Haha. The best light i own is a Dorcy 1AAA.

I'm looking at a reliable but cheap light for when we go vacationing in Africa (Dec). I don't want to be caught outside without a light there. (I'm also buying 3 more Dorcys for my family)

beakman

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Illuma-Lux and the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon. Physically, the Illuma-Lux is shorter, smaller in diameter and lighter than the Streamlight. In particular, the head of the Streamlight is a bit bigger, because it uses a reflector, while the Illuma-Lux uses an acrylic half-ball lens. The Streamlight feels very solid, like you could give someone a nasty whack on the head with it. The Illuma-Lux has a momentary tail switch, with twist for constant on. The Streamlight has a regular old click switch on the side of the body.

Beamwise, the Streamlight has a tighter hotspot, and throws farther than the Illuma-Lux, but still has pretty good sidespill. The Illuma-Lux is more of a flood, and has a large, round hotspot, good for lighting up a room. The Illuma-Lux has a noticeable yellow/green tinge to the light, especially when compared to the Streamlight, which is very white. I don't have a meter to take actual readings (I wish Quickbeam had an Illuma-Lux so he could do Lux and QUPS readings on it), but they both seem pretty bright to me.

These are my only LS lights so far, and I really like them both! I'm also looking forward to the Impact XL as another affordable LS light.

the beakman

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Thanks for the input, beakman. I read up some more on the CMG Reactor and it is out of contention - i want cheap but i also want bright and long life.

Any other recommendations? Where can i read up on the upcoming Impact XL?

sph3ric_pyramid

Newly Enlightened
The cheapest would probably be the Nuwai Luxeon lights. But don't be misled by the price, the fit and finish on the things are incredible, definitely on par with Streamlight or better. Most that I've seen use a reflector, so you get serious throw, but not too much side-spill. And there's a larger variety than Streamlight, as well (I believe Streamlight only has one 1-watt LS model out now?).

Prices were under $30 at a local hardware store, so I'm guessing around $25 or so online.

Edited to add: On the down side, the Luxeons tend toward green, although they're plenty bright.

Latest posts