Old 3D with Hotlips - ideas?

hawgorn

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I've been away from the bright&shiny scene for a while and am totally lost what's happening right now. Let me give a bit of background first.

The wife and I bought a car and ofcourse there is need for a glove box flashlight or two (or three). I have some ideas, but I'm not sure which way I'll go. It gets cold here in Finland so lithium AA's are given for emergency back-up use. I found the Eneloop freezer test and that gives me some confidence for them for EDC use I think even in winter time.

But the flashlights themselves are the question. A headlamp is a given, but I'm pondering about hand held lights. I could go with the Solarforce L2r I have, but I do like the idea of the heft of a M@glite in drivers side door flashlight.

So... let's say that I'd use Eneloops in D-cell parallel adapters in a 3D. Is there a reasonably priced upgrade for my old LuxIII Hotlips config? I'd need a led and a driver to mount on the heatsink, a good balance between throw and runtime.

Ofcourse I could go with a regular drop-in in a plain M@g (top of the line Malkofff :drool:, but with $40 shipping is not gonna happen), but I really would like to take advantage of the Hotlips if possible at all.

If anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it alot. Thanks.

sn0wBLiND

Newly Enlightened
I'd go with the 3D mag with eneloops. Just throw in the hotlips and a Cree XM-L on a 14mm board + 3aa to D cell adapters + 8xAMC7135 linear driver + stock reflector.
The beam is very usable on short ranges and still has a nice, throwy hotspot.
I use primary energizer lithium aa's on my backup mag (aka the Hobo Maul), they're a bit expensive even on ebay but at least I know they won't self discharge or leak.

Last edited:

hawgorn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks snowblind. Short search gave me these: 8xAMC7135 (3.04A) (selectable) Mode Driver and Cree XM-L 14mm Round MCPCB T5 3C (5000K) tint. The pedestal of the Hotlips has a small raised portion, I guess I need to sand it down to fit a 14mm mcpcb.

I'm also considering of using Tenergy C or D nimhs. Atleast the ad says "High performance even at low temperatures down to -10 C during your winter vacation" for Centuras.....