Battery choice for stand by search light.

Foot Hill

Newly Enlightened
Looking at getting my first 18650 light soon.
I have hobby charger (for my rc short course truck) and am familiar with lipo/lith battery's voltage preferences.

My new light (when zebra light releases the s6330) will be night stand- bump in the night, what are the dogs barking at? Find the spooked,escaped horses tool.

Should the fact that the battery's do not like to be stored fully charged affect my choice?

Thanks, and loving the forum.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
For emergency standby flashlights, it's better to get a flashlight with mechanical switch and use primary cells instead.

Electronic switches have parasitic drain since the current is always flowing. Mechanical switches physically disconnect the batteries from the light.

Primary lithium cells have much longer shelf-life than rechargeables. 10+ years is hard to beat.

Foot Hill

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies and advice.
Looking for my old mag lights for genes drop in conversion.
But really like the newer triple XML 18650 lights.

How long do the 18650's last when kept charged up given the fact that they don't really like to be stored at 100% charge

I mean.. Is this really an issue?

oRAirwolf

Newly Enlightened
If size isn't an issue (its about the size of a plunger), the Fenix TK70 pretty much fits the bill. Triple XM-L's, insane throw, good flood. Runs off of 4 D-cell batteries. Get some hybrid low self discharge NiMH batteries like the Tenergy Centura's and charge them up once every few months and you have yourself the perfect search light that's ready to go anytime.

They can be had for about $190.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened

Latest posts