Why so much concern over "waterproof?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
Is everybody dropping their flashlights in the water?

I honestly don't care if any of my flashlights are waterproof.
Unless I plan on leaving it on my boat, I really don't care.

Of course, my scuba flashlight is a different story.
But all of my other lights will never be near too much water.

I am not going to drop it in a puddle?
I'm not going on a lot of boats?
Is it going to be raining cats and dogs next time I use my flashlight?
Is my town going to flood?
Will I drive my car off a bridge and into the water?
Is a tsunami coming to Toronto soon?
Will I leave it in my pocket and put it into the washing machine?.......Maybe.
Is my basement going to flood?

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
Would you like to take the chance of a drop of water getting into your flashlight, onto a sensitive bit of the circuit and slowly corroding it or even stopping it working immediately, just when you really need that light?

It rains a lot where I am. Having a water resistant (there is no such thing as 'water proof') flashlight means that I don't have to be concerned about it getting wet, which it will do often. As recently as last night for instance, in a snow storm!

välineurheilija

Enlightened
I would never say i am not going to drop something in a puddle because guess what happens next :)

Sent from a mobile telephone

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
The place where I work make the product "waterproof" to 12,800 feet.

Would you like to take the chance of a drop of water getting into your flashlight, onto a sensitive bit of the circuit and slowly corroding it or even stopping it working immediately, just when you really need that light?

It rains a lot where I am. Having a water resistant (there is no such thing as 'water proof') flashlight means that I don't have to be concerned about it getting wet, which it will do often. As recently as last night for instance, in a snow storm!

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
Well it's seems that "Murphy" shall be giving you a visit.

It seems from your OP you're either completely knowledgeable of all future events or you lock yourself in a padded room.

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
Ok, listen. If by chance, I do drop my light in a puddle, I will take the damages.
What are the chances of that happening?

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Chances depend on the quantity of puddles but if you are willing to take the damage there is no problem.people just tend to like waterproof stuff its a matter of what if :)

Sent from a mobile telephone

Jeff E.

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fuzzuki,

There are a few reasons for this IMHO, which I will explain:

1) First and for most, this is an enthusiast forum, and like any similar forum, people here care about the details and little stuff...it's a hobby. For example, car forums go on for months and years about which cleaners leave chemical residues, which floor mats have the best absorbancy, etc. For the most part, people who don't care about the finer details won't hang around places like this much.

2)Lights are a bit of a security/emergency item of sorts. And....maybe even a bit of a security blanket for many of us. LOL! That being said, it's important to many of us that, should we ever be caught in an emergency situation (whether is snow, rain, water, or other elements), that we have an expectation for our gear for a time when we would need it the most.

3) Many of these lights are pricey, and depending upon the disposable income level of the flashaholic and particular light, can represent a significant amount of income/money to the individual. An accidental drop into a mud puddle, creek, or swimming pool of a light that couldn't handle it could represent a significant (and irreplaceable) loss.

I hope it helps explain some things!

-jeff

Sent using Tapatalk 2

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchase, use, and carry waterproof lights daily because I dont just live in an environment where I know all the variables. I go fishing, camping and hiking. I ride my quad through bogs amd mud puddles. I work outdoors in the weather. I go swimming. I use my tools in environments that are dirty, wet, smelly, muddy, grimey, and hazardous.

I invest in my tools. Being water resistant or waterproof ensures that they will continue to function longer and more reliably for me.

But then I guess its the same argument for other things: "I don't need 'x' so why does anyone else?" And that my friend is a false argument.

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
The place where I work make the product "waterproof" to 12,800 feet.

Then your product is only water resistant, not waterproof. Waterproof means 'waterproof'. Not a little bit waterproof, not waterproof apart from... but 'waterproof'. If you have to apply a qualifying condition, then you have not met the criterion for 'waterproof'. Watch manufacturers learned this many years ago even though my Tag, for instance, can go down to 1000m, at which depth both I and a nuclear submarine would be squished. They still say the watch is water resistant, not waterproof.

If I buy your product having read 'waterproof', regardless of anything else, and put it down a 4km ocean bed borehole, I will sue you when it leaks because you said it was waterproof.

Anyway, I like my flashlights to have good water resistance for the same reason as my watches, coats, skin... so that they will continue to function if they get wet!

p.s. I'm bored atm, otherwise I wouldn't even bother...

Last edited:

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
In response to others. If I think I will be on my dirt bike and may need a flashlight.
I will not bring my best light with me.
I have enough, that I can pick, and choose which of my cheaper lights are disposable.
They are all water resistant.
Even if I screw up my best light, what will it cost to replace it?
I don't buy $400 lights.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my lights to be as water resistant as possible, I use them in the rain, around water (I would rather they didn't fail if I dropped them in/fell in)

I also get my lights dirty, it is nice just being able to hose them off/take them in the shower and scrub them

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
I can't be bothered reading it, but if so, it is incorrect.

wa·ter·proof
/ˈwôtərˌpro͞of/
Adjective: Impervious to water.
Verb: Make impervious to water.

Perhaps a difference due to trivial use of the term, or the term used with a 'small print' marketing qualifier like waterproof fabric (which must attain a water resistance of a certain head of water), and technically correct use. One will stand up in court, the other won't. Perhaps a trifling matter, but not if you get sued.

Last edited:

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
I don't buy $400 lights.

Neither do I. My cheapest 'proper' flashlight was around £8. It's water resistant enough to drop in a puddle or use in the pouring rain without leaking. You would probably call it waterproof.

As is my cheapest watch that I use for climbing, caving and scrambling.

Anyway, this is a pointless discussion :banghead:

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
Well, two of our watches have been down to the bottom of the Marianas Trench.
Does it need to be more waterproof than that?

I can't be bothered reading it, but if so, it is incorrect.

wa·ter·proof
/ˈwôtərˌpro͞of/
Adjective: Impervious to water.
Verb: Make impervious to water.

Perhaps a difference due to trivial use of the term, or the term used with a 'small print' marketing qualifier like waterproof fabric (which must attain a water resistance of a certain head of water), and technically correct use. One will stand up in court, the other won't. Perhaps a trifling matter, but not if you get sued.

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, there have been more than two watches there.
I have personally held 3 of the four that were there.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, two of our watches have been down to the bottom of the Marianas Trench.
Does it need to be more waterproof than that?

I can understand where you are coming from. I have the sea dweller on my wrist for the last 5 years. I wear it 24/7 in all conditions. I Atv a lot in the tropics and it has seen all sort of conditions. Still ticks as it should. I believe this is one model that has been down the northern Mariana Trench.

Since this is a flashlight forum, many will not understand your post. I too look for flashlights that has the most water resistance or waterproofing if there is such a thing. Don's McGizmos will happily take a dunk at much lesser depth than the sea dwellers and deep sea. Whilst he never claims it to be dive proof but it has not failed thus far.

This is like asking a flashaholics to spend $10k on a timepiece that tells time like a $5 watch will do. On the same note, a non flashaholics would not spend $2400 on a flashlight that is not even shower proof.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchase, use, and carry waterproof lights daily because I dont just live in an environment where I know all the variables. I go fishing, camping and hiking. I ride my quad through bogs amd mud puddles. I work outdoors in the weather. I go swimming. I use my tools in environments that are dirty, wet, smelly, muddy, grimey, and hazardous.

I invest in my tools. Being water resistant or waterproof ensures that they will continue to function longer and more reliably for me.

But then I guess its the same argument for other things: "I don't need 'x' so why does anyone else?" And that my friend is a false argument.
Agree.
I'm not catching the big fish on a sunny day. If i want the big ones, i usually need to expose myself for some pretty bad weather. Murphy crushed my zebra h30 headlamp a rainy day. It came back to life after some days, but the 2,5 hous walk down from the mountain with a 50k lux handheld light (in pouring rain) was not plesant. Lesson learned... check the light before i start to use them. It rains alot here so that's my nr 1 priority.

The first thing i do when i get a new light is dunking it and try to hose it down in the shower. Price doesent matter, they all recive some torture from me because i expect my light to handle all elements better than i do. If they dont i might be in a bad spot.
Just remember to keep them lubed.

Whats the price difference between a sealed light and a non sealed? 2-3 orings can't cost mutch when bought in bulk. And if a manufacterer wont use a cent extra to improve the quality and feel on their product, then i wont buy from them. Remove the o-rings from a 1000$ custom flashlight, and it will feel like a cheap one when you start playing with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.