Old SF L1

drew78

Newly Enlightened
So I have, what I think, is a pretty old (for flashlight tech) SF L1. It was my first light and has a "square" beam pattern. In fact, when you look at the lens, under it, the entire "assembly" look like a HUGE TIR in glass. Not the newer TIR that encases just the LED.

It still works great, but am curious about what I have here. I dont even remember the specs for the thing.

I am wondering if I can keep the host but get a new, updated (more output, better regulation, ect...) drop in.
Does not have to be a SF module. Just looking for something that would be as durable and dependable as the orig set up.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Drew

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the square beam is from either the 4th or 5th generation L1. if you dont like the square beam you can use a F04 diffuser. what i did was use phaserburn's diffuser film and the beam is really nice, and looks like a ball of light.

4-flats body being 4th gen, and the rounder body being 5th gen.

there are no drop-ins for the L1, you would either have to mod the bezel with a new LED and/or optics.
or find another bezel that will work with it. since the bezel threads are E-series, i have heard of using a VME bezel with malkoff, but the low mode is not as low anymore. i havent tried it, so i cant really say....

drew78

Newly Enlightened
Thanks skyfire!

I noticed the wording "L1 Digital Lumamax" on the body. Body is round. So 5th gen then?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI drew,

Like skyfire said, modding the light is one way to go. IIRC that light probly has an output of around 65 lumens. If you really want to hang on to the light but have an updated light engine there is a ton of stuff that can be done to them. I have put new emitters, drivers and even reflectors in them. A full blown internal over haul will get you between 300-700 lumens, depending on what battery you want to use.

If you dont want to do it yourself, I can assist.

Good Lux with your project.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my modded Frankenstein L1

P1010970_zps5d7ad0fa.jpg

Early gen head on a 5th gen body ... I think :D

P1010971_zpseff771fc.jpg

HiCri XPG behind a McR18S reflector.
The electronics are stock

archimedes

Flashaholic
Here is my modded Frankenstein L1

Early gen head on a 5th gen body ... I think :D

HiCri XPG behind a McR18S reflector.
The electronics are stock

My guess would be Gen2/3 head/bezel assembly + Gen6 tube ... :thinking: (I think the Gen5 tube is rather longer).

Looks cool :)

Latest posts