e2e: spring scratches battery

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
File it.
smile.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*
Poor battery!

But seriously though, it shouldn't affect the performance of the battery if it is scratched. If anything, scratching means that it is cleaning the contact surfaces.

Plus the battery gets thrown away afterwards right?

-YC

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i remember a post a while back about the same thing. somebody mentioned it was to make good contact. PK, the great master surefire engineer concurred. so, unless it cuts through the battery exsposing the cell i wouldn't worry about it. or just file it a bit like jtivat suggested.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I actually posted about this several months ago.

Class, let's dig a little deeper to understand the issue.

Please remove the tailcaps from your E series and M2/3 lights. Look closely at the springs. Notice how the E series are wound one way and the M series the other.

I don't know what it means but it sure is diabolical!!!

Filing the edges with a hard Arkansas stone does the trick.

JackBlades

Enlightened
Originally posted by Jeff:
Please remove the tailcaps from your E series and M2/3 lights. Look closely at the springs. Notice how the E series are wound one way and the M series the other.
I don't know what it means but it sure is diabolical!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, let me put an end to this mystery!
Those backward-wound springs were imported from south of the equator!!
tongue.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
......Filing the edges with a hard Arkansas stone does the trick.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm not familiar witn that, is it harder than a file?

The scratching didn't bother me but the sound did.

Brightnorm

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
My impression of the SF P, N, and MN spring surfaces that are ground or filed flat is that they increase the contact surface rather than scratch and clean it.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
brightnorm,

I'm not as skilled with the vowels and consonants as darell but here goes.

An Arkansas stone is used primarily by gunsmiths and for sharpening knives. It's a hard white stone but I don't know if it's harder than a file.

It removes very little material per stroke and it certainly isn't as aggresive as a file. You might say that the file is used for the initial rough work and the stone finishes it off. It produces a finish similar to polishing metal with #0000 steel wool.

They're not expensive (a few $) for a small one and $15-20 for a large one.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
brightnorm,

I'm not as skilled with the vowels and consonants as darell but here goes.

An Arkansas stone is used primarily by gunsmiths and for sharpening knives. It's a hard white stone but I don't know if it's harder than a file.

It removes very little material per stroke and it certainly isn't as aggresive as a file. You might say that the file is used for the initial rough work and the stone finishes it off. It produces a finish similar to polishing metal with #0000 steel wool.

They're not expensive (a few $) for a small one and $15-20 for a large one.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Jeff. Vowels & consonants were excellent.

BN

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by yclo:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by JackBlades:
Well, let me put an end to this mystery!
Those backward-wound springs were imported from south of the equator!!
tongue.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
icon14.gif
grin.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I suppose this is why toliets flush backwards south of the equator too.
grin.gif
smile.gif