Hello I am new with questions already

Skydancer

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I just recently joined this wonderful forum and wanted to introduce myself. I am very interested in spotlights and or searchlights. I have always wanted to create a searchlight that could "slice" into the night sky and have started small with such as a 35watt hid spotlight and focusing it with a fresnel lens. I can't say that's the best method but, it creates a beam and the fact that fresnel lens can do just that is an improvement on my ideas. Anyways was just wanted to introduce myself and was just wondering if anyone knew how I should go about creating a homemade searchlight. I would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible but, sometimes it's hard to.:shrug: Anyways thanks for looking at my post and maybe you can get me going in the right direction on this. :twothumbs

Skydancer

Newly Enlightened
Noob to searchlights. Recommendations for a noob searchlight?

Hi I am brand new to searchlights and would like to get more familiar with them. Right now I am just looking for some ideas on a cheap (budget) working searchlight that will create a decent beam to cut into the sky. Just something that would impress a noob like me:laughing:. But cheap. At this point I have tried ideas like the one that involved putting a fresnel lens in front of a 35watt hid spotlight (that has tons of spill) and it makes a decent beam but nothing to that will be seen for blocks away. Anyways just let me in on some ideas that you have. I would really like to make something with a good amount of lumens and a nice beam but still budget permitting. Thanks for your help!

Skydancer

Newly Enlightened
Noob with searchlights. Where to start?

Hi I just recently joined cpf and was wondering if anyone could tell me where to start when it comes to searchlights. I'm looking to build a searchlight that can really make a beam (good focus and some lumens) but still on a budget. I don't know if this is exactly possible sense I've read that searchlights can get up there in the price range. Anyways just wanted to know if anyone could tell me about searchlights and where to start when it comes to making one homemade.

Edit: thanks a lot for the info! I'll be sure to start looking around at DIY threads and get a rough idea. I'll post if I start a project.
thank you.

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Noob with searchlights. Where to start?

Well, first off there's 1000's of diy threads from beginner to advanced.
2nd, you'll want to get a rough idea of what kind of performance you're looking to achieve.
Then figure out what your budget is.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Noob with searchlights. Where to start?

I think the most affordable way to get into the fun is with automotive HID lamps, next step up from there would be projector lamps, but for the price and ease of use, automotive HID lamps are excellent.

Skydancer

Newly Enlightened
How did you make your searchlight?

Hi again. Was just wondering how you guys made these searchlights. Want to try to get some ideas. I'm looking for something with good throw and that can be seen from a good distance. Anyone have any plans or tutorials on building one? Also heard about arc lights to but, haven't seen many videos or DIYs for carbon arc searchlights cheap. Anyways just wanted to get some ideas from people. Also whats my best bet on a reflector that will throw far?(for good seeing distance when in the sky)?
Thanks

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Re: How did you make your searchlight?

What's this "good" valued at? You are using this word a lot but it can mean diff things to diff ppl. How about specifics. What are you looking to accomplish?

Skydancer

Newly Enlightened

:oops:I'm a newbie so I'm just blabbering on:laughing: anyways I'm trying to build a searchlight but, use ideas and desighns other people have of for the reflector and bulb types. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with this. Sorry about being so bland.what I mean is to build a searchlight that has a tight beam to be seen for miles and hit clouds something that catches the eye. Like whats used to display "grand openings" and popular establishments. Basically just trying to see what other people have done. So if anyone could help me on a light and share ideas I would appreciate it.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome Skydancer.

This sort of question comes up a lot lately, there really should be a sticky to outline the basics for newcomers instead of having lots of revolving threads about the same thing.

Thr3Evo

Enlightened

Still having a hard time envisioning this idea of yours. Gotta be more specific still.
Shuffle through these search results and see if anything catches your eye.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Xenon searchlights used for grand openings as you're asking usually cost over 10k. There's great deal for a new 4KW searchlight on ebay for around 3.5 grand which is a lot less than the cost to make one from scratch, don't know how they can sell it so cheap. There's also an auction for a used 4KW starting at $1699, but the price will bid higher, plus it's not working and sold as is.

Skydancer

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the information get-lit! I'm a real noob and was looking to find a design that could keep the cost under 1k but, I know that's gonna be ludicrous if I want something so powerful. I've even taken a cheap ryobi 35 watt hid spotlight and use a fresnel lens to hit the clouds! (Unbelievably)! I'm thinking a fresnel lens with a weak light and tight beam I may be able to achieve sastifactory results.:devil:

Skydancer

Newly Enlightened
Noob in need of Ideas for a homemade searchlight.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on a searchlight I want to build at home. Basically my project is to create or build a searchlight at home that is powerful enough to travel far and hit clouds. Basically I would like to build something that really catches the eye from a distance when shined up in the sky if you know what I'm getting at. I would like to stay in a good budget range and just get some ideas from others on what bulbs and reflector types are best for a tight far throwing beam, interms of searchlights. Also if anyone knows where I can find some tutorials on building reflectors and or on how to adjust the focal point please let me know.
thanks.